Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mailed a diecast to Ryan Newman on January 2nd and it arrived back today (Jan. 17) signed. He even returned my metallic sharpie. Kahne and Truex didn't.

Here are the pics.

By the way, they put a different address on the return label. I suppose new requests should be sent to this address.

Ryan Newman Fan Club
Autograph Request
P.O. Box 5998
Statesville, NC 28687

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Very nice! Ya picked the right time to do it, not when the season is in full swing and they are real busy. Looks good. I need an outo'd Truex piece, I don't have one of his, maybe I'll send him something. Newman seems real fan friendly.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Who else have you had success with lately? I just got back my first auto request by mail from Bowyer and it looks awesome. I sent out 1 to Truex and another to Bowyer about 2 weeks ago. Was thinking of sending some Kurt Busch and Newman, but haven't had the time lately.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's awesome. Is there a place i could find where send cars for auto request? Looking for Hamlin and Regan Smith (08 Army). Thanks Earle

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Denny Hamlin, unfortunately, isn't accepting any through-the-mail autograph requests. Why? I don't know. I can't imagine that his mailbox is overflowing (he's not THAT popular). Maybe he's taking his cues from Tony Stewart (who also doesn't sign TTM).

First, check the driver's personal sites. Many will have addresses for where to send stuff. If that fails, try the teams website (i.e. DEI). If that fails, try jayski.com.

The only other guys I've tried for mailing diecast were Kasey Kahne and Martin Truex Jr. around August last year. I received both back in a month-month and a half. Very fast, really. Newman was lightning fast, but he's known for quick returns (unlike former teammate Rusty Wallace).

These guys WON'T sign TTM: Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin, Joe Gibbs. Not sure about Johnson (haven't looked), but I assume not. But I don't really know.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
taterracing said:
Denny Hamlin, unfortunately, isn't accepting any through-the-mail autograph requests. Why? I don't know. I can't imagine that his mailbox is overflowing (he's not THAT popular). Maybe he's taking his cues from Tony Stewart (who also doesn't sign TTM).
i dont know too much on him. i do know from experience, at Talladega he was a bit of an ass. outside of his hauler they had a sign saying "2 auto limit" plus you had to have a ticket for him to sign. well Yeleys hauler was right across from it and he didnt need a ticket for an auto. well needless to say Yelley showed up on time and stayed well past when he was supposed to because there was still fans waiting. Well Hamlin showed up, and after buying 2 of his cars, waiting in line for a couple of hours to get a ticket, he decided that he was only going to sign 1 auto per ticket. when asked why he wouldnt sign more than 1 when the sign clearly says 2, he said that he had other things to do and didnt have time to do all of the autos. Yelley showed up 10 minutes before Hamlin and stayed about an hour after Hamlin was long gone. I was about ready to throw the extra diecast back over the counter and ask for a refund. I think his head got too big for his body, because this was right after his first win. he seemed to be very arogant and acted like he didnt even want to be there. i would much rather the driver not even show up than for him to act like it is such a chore for them to do when they have signings. Yelley was very friendly along with Stremme and they seemed like they were having a ball talking to fans, like they should. Its like some of these drivers need to remember who pays for their merchandise and puts extra money in their pocket.

sorry for my long rant. and by the way nice diecast and auto.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
That's why I can't stand Jimmie Johson. I met him right before he signed with Hendrick and he was a massive asshole. ONE Autograph limit and NO pictures were allowed with fans. He wouldn't even talk to you let alone act like you existed. As for Gordon he only signs for children and usually by what I have seen children that have a disease. However I witnessed him turning down TONS of kids a few years ago because he was too busy plugging a sponsor. I wonder how Bowyers popularity is now and his signing ways. Few years ago he would sign whatever you wanted take pictures with you talk to you and hell probably eat a burger with you just because nobody else cared to know his name. Sprague was a dick the first time I met him (back when he drove for Hendrick) but when I met him last year he was a lot nicer. Casey Mears impressed me a lot back in 2002 he didn't care how many autos you wanted he had hundreds of pictures signed before he even started so that way he could sign something else and give you a picture too. I got like 10 pics signed because of that. He was also very shy back then. Khane was the same way too.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Ive only met a handful of people and by far the nicest have been Casey Mears, Elliot Sadler and Robby Gordon. Sadler was so cool to talk to and didnt mind to slow down the line to talk to everyone that came up. He made fun of me cause I had a Randy Orton shirt on lol. Ive met Kahne about 4-5 times and he always seems so shy to talk to people. I guess that could come over as arrogance to though. They only person that Ive met that was really an ass was Reed Sorenson. He seemed to busy laughing and cutting up with the people that were there with him to even bother looking at who he was signing for. Ive met Blaney a couple times too and you cant really get a read on him. His voice is so monotone and without emotion that you cant tell how his mood really is lol.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
i would have to say the best one that i met was Stremme. he showed up and i was third in line and when i got up there he started up a conversation and he signed a couple of cars for me and took some pictures. well after it was all said and done, he was still asking me questions and started a whole new conversation and started to lock up the line and others started kinda pushing the line. i like the fact that he took time to actually talk to a fan.

as far as Mears, i didnt know how to take him. he never looked up once in between autos. he would just scribble an auto and hand it off. Jarrett and Sadler showed up to theirs and they shut the hauler down, went in and signed a few items and then left and they reopened the hauler, so i dont know what that was about. Jeff Burton was kinda rude with one person in line. she asked if he could take off his sunglasses so she could get a picture of him and he told her "either take a picture with them on or dont take one at all". everyone in line was like "WTF?".

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I never intended for this to be a big discussion, but I suppose it can be helpful.

As for Hamlin... I think he's a guy that just wants to drive and doesn't want to deal with anything else that comes with it. I suppose it can be a flaw for him (or like I said, he's taking too many cues from Stewart, who I think has the same attitude). I went to interview Hamlin after a Busch race and someone asked for his autograph and Hamlin kind of snapped at him. But Denny was very nice with me when I talked to him. Also Tony Stewart was probably the best interview I've ever had. So... I dunno.

Thankfully J.J. Yeley never inherited that quality. He was very nice when I talked to him before and gladly signed an autograph for me. Carl Edwards is very nice for signing. I was walking with him in the garage once and dropped the sharpie. He actually was the one to pick it up and sign the postcard. Nice guy. I was able to get Jeff Gordon to sign a postcard for me before he ducked into his hauler. Brian Vickers, David Reutimann, David Ragan, Ryan Newman, Kyle Busch and others are good signers (those that I had sign things in person). Scott Wimmer is easily the nicest driver I've ever met. And this isn't being biased. He truly is a nice guy and will stay and chat with you about whatever. Ward Burton... I've gotten his autograph twice and he wasn't terribly nice either time, but he did sign.

I think it's hard to be happy and cheery all the time. Fans only see a glimpse of a driver, and you may catch them at a bad time. I think it all depends on their mood and how things have gone. Meanwhile, some guys like Yeley and Wimmer are greatful to their fans and will always react the same.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As for another question. Someone on another board asked how I go about sending diecasts to be autographed. He wanted to send one to Reed Sorenson. Here's what I wrote him and this is the process I do.

Ok, I've done this three times now and it seems to be a good procedure. Step-by-step.

1. Have the car ready to go. Take any pieces off the car that may fall off (the Newman piece was the only one I had to deal with for this part; it had a removable right-side window).
2. Wrap the car in bubble wrap.
3. Write a simple letter with your return address on it. Stating that you'd like for him to sign the car (wherever, I prefer the windshield). I enclosed a sharpie with it (taped to the bubblewrapped car, but you don't have to, I just like the metallic look). Make sure to put 'please' and 'thank you' and all that in the letter. I also add something like 'good luck this season' or something. Just to keep it nice. Also, they are doing you a favor, so it's good to keep things positive.
4. You need two (2) boxes (one needs to fit inside the other).
5. Put your address in the middle of the smaller box and their address (Sorenson's) in the corner. Do the reverse for the bigger box (yours in the corner; Sorenson's in the middle).
6. Pack the smaller box well with your car inside. Make sure it doesn't rattle around.
7. Pack the smaller box into the outer box. Add additional packing if necessary. If there's a big gap in box sizes, you may have to do this.
8. DO NOT TAPE EITHER BOX CLOSED! (at least yet, never seal the smaller box).
9. Take the package to the post office and tell them you want postage for the box twice. You want stamps for the exact amount as it will cost. Once you pay for both, take the box aside and put the stamps on the smaller box, again, don't tape it shut. Tape the outer box closed and put the postage on it (I usually just have them put the sticker with how much it is on it). Priority or parcel post may not matter. I'm not sure. Priority may be the best bet.
10. Once it's all taped up and ready to go, give it back to the clerk and it's gone. You may want to use D.C., but I don't.
11. Wait. Newman took a couple weeks, Kahne took a month, and Truex took about 6 weeks.

Postage will probably cost between $14-18 to send it and get it back. Not bad if drivers never come to where you live.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Blaney was my first auto in person-nice enough guy-not very talkative. Gotten Carl's auto on 2 separate occasions cool guy on both occasions. Yeley signed for me at ST.Louis, the best so far. I was wearing one of my sons wrist walkie-talkies and he asked me about it, signed my car let me take a picture and handed me a signed hero card as I started to walk away.

As I said before I sent out a requets for Bowyer just b4 Thanksgiving and was really suprised to see it back just after Christmas. Thought it would take longer during the beginning of the off season.

·
Registered
245 Posts
taterracing (and all the rest fo you), thanks for the answer. Seems like it will always be a crap shoot as to what you'll get. You would think that the "Army" car would visit the large post like Bragg but i've yet to see or hear about them visiting in my 4 yrs here. Thanks again Guys

Sorry the post went away from you auto's :)

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Travis Bishop said:
Blaney was my first auto in person-nice enough guy-not very talkative. Gotten Carl's auto on 2 separate occasions cool guy on both occasions. Yeley signed for me at ST.Louis, the best so far. I was wearing one of my sons wrist walkie-talkies and he asked me about it, signed my car let me take a picture and handed me a signed hero card as I started to walk away.

As I said before I sent out a requets for Bowyer just b4 Thanksgiving and was really suprised to see it back just after Christmas. Thought it would take longer during the beginning of the off season.
Yes he is very quiet. I have seen him several times and he was always real reserved and almost backwards, but the last time (I posted pics of it) he was very friendly, talkative and smiley. Maybe it was cause he was by himself, or it was off season, I don't know, but he was not ever the least bit smug. Gotta give him credit for that.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
You guys might not believe me here...but Robby is very good with fans. I think it was 2005 when he was running the Busch race, and he was signing autos I think an hour and a half before the drivers meeting, and alot of people in line were worried they wouldn't get autos, they were saying "Robby has a drivers meeting in half an hour, he won't stay for us at the end of the line." But he stayed untill he got to the end of the line, and he left like 10 mins before the meeting. Also when I broke my leg last year and we went to Darlington, I was in line just next to where they enter the hauler, and he saw me on my crutches, and he signed my car and hat before heading into the hauler. And he told me he wanted to make it easier for me.

Scott Wimmer is also very good like Tater said, I met him at Charlotte in 2005 for the spring race, and I was wearing a Wimmer Fan Club shirt, and when he saw I was wearing it, he told me that I was the first person he had seen wearing one, and he seemed pretty excited. I met him again for the fall race, and I think he saw I was wearing that same shirt, and he made a comment "I don't get to sign for Fan Club members everyday." There are alot of really cool drivers to meet, Dave Blaney, Scott Riggs, Kurt Busch and John Andretti were cool at Stocks for Tots. The only driver I didn't really like was Steven Wallace at Stocks for Tots, he seemed like he didn't want to be there.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Very interesting to hear the experiences you have with the various drivers...that's the kind of thing you don't get to hear too often.

It seems to me like the less popular drivers are the friendliest. I wonder if that is because A) they are happy to draw such interest from fans or B) they have less issues and constraints, less people pulling at them then the more popular drivers.

I'm actually surprised that Denny won't sign through the mail. Like you guys said, I bet it rubbed off of Gibbs and Tony. I'm glad JJ didn't get that perspective-I've liked JJ since I first saw him way back when he was racing open wheels, before even trying for the Indy 500 (I think that was 98)

Jack Sprague's whole outlook seemed to have changed after he got re-married....He was absouletly my least favorite driver for much of the mid/late 90s.

Alex, I think it's funny that Ryan returned your Sharpie...I would never expect anyone to do that!

I have hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of duplicate trading cards. I should probably send some of them off for autos while I still remember where they are. LOL!

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
I always forget to mention this autogrpah I got because tech. I didn't get it. It was the first truck race at Kansas Speedway in 2001. My dad's boss at the time had GMAC passes and was involved in all the GMAC stuff. Well unknownst to them Ricky Hendrick came by since he did at the time drive the GMAC truck. He signed autographs for everyone there. When he got to my dad's boss he asked Ricky if he could have two autos. and neither address to him. Ricky asked him why? he told Ricky one is for an employee of mine and the other is for his son. They are huge NASCAR fans and at this race somewhere. So without any complaints and further questions Ricky gave him two pics adress to my dad and me. The race was pretty boring until the end when Ricky and Jack were trying to race cleanly for the first win there. Ricky won of course and it was just awesome (I love when I get to see a first time winner in person it makes the race much more special to me). The monday morning my dad gets to work and has a big GM envelope sitting on his parts counter....his boss came over and said open it..I got them for you at the GMAC tent....From that day on I was a Ricky Hendrick fan he was a class act and you wouldn't expect that being the son of Rick Hendrick and involved with that company as a hole...I was really shaken when I heard he was killed in that copter crash because things people said about him were true he didn't let fame get to him he wanted to be himself and he wanted the fans to be able to "touch" him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts