Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts

1960 Richard Petty

Unknown

I do not know the story of this car. As near as I can tell, Hoss Ellington did not drive this 1964 Ford in NASCAR Grand National (Now Cup series) racing. It may have been a Sportsman (now Nationwide), USAC or ARCA car. I just don't know.

·
Premium Member
24,079 Posts
Re: 1960s

Great stuff. I just have one suggestion. Can you break these out year-by-year instead of by decade? The pictures take FOREVER to load and some don't load at all. I think if you broke it down year by year, that would prevent some of those problems.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was going to do each year 1990-later as seperate threads, but I can break them out, sure.

Some years are over 250 images in a single year. There's really no way to keep this from being picture heavy.

·
Premium Member
24,079 Posts

I understand that. Maybe even manufacturer by year, I don't know. I let the page be for about 5 minutes and it was still loading lol.

By the way, I still have a Pete Hamilton #40 Superbird Johnny Lightning here with your name on it. We were going to trade and nothing ever came of it. That was probably a year ago lol.

Also, how long did it take you to take pictures of all these cars? Plus cropping, uploading, ect.?

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah, I never dug out my post cards to trade you, lol.

To do my entire collection took more than a month. I burned through six CRV3 batteries and filled two camera cards. I have a lot of time on my hands so I probably have 100 hours in it. Or more, in fact.

I'm afraid once we get past 1991 even done by season will take a while to load.

Even if I broke out by manufacturer, Chevy and Ford in particular will still be huge, almost if not 100 pictures in some of these posts.

Prepping them to post, and creating the posts, is actually more time consuming than anything else. It took me two and a half days to create the body guide, for instance.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if I broke them into seperate posts, I'd still put the reply into the same thread so I'm not sure what good it would do. I want it to be a one-stop place to look and see as many cars from a particular season as possible!

(If you want to see them one at a time, without any notes, I do have them on my Fotki)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just wanted to say, these old posts are still very useful. I've been going through them, and the note about the #61 Hoss Ellington Ford Fastback is fascinating. When I first read this, my initial thought was, that can't be right, of course this car exists! Sure enough, though, Hoss Ellington didn't start racing in NASCAR until 1968, and it was in a Mercury.

In case anyone else comes upon this thread and is interested in solving this mystery, here's how far I've gotten. I couldn't find any good leads through the 1964 races. However, since they did race their cars for several years back then, I started looking through 1965, and I found that there weren't any #61 car entries that were Fords until part way through the season. That car was Doug Cooper, who only ran #61 once, which was the Piedmont Interstate Fairgrounds race in Feb 1965, and then ran #60 in several more races 1965. I can't find any pictures of his #61 car, but his #60 Ford seems like it was painted maroon with a white roof, like A.J. Foyt's 00 Ford in the 1964 diecast thread, so not a close livery.

But then in the Dixie 400 race in June 1965 that year, I noticed that Sam McQuagg ran in a #60 Ford. Again, I can't find any pictures of that one, but if you look at his later #24 Ford shown in the 1965 diecast thread here, it actually has an almost identical livery. So, my best running theory so far is that perhaps this is the #60 Ford that Sam McQuagg ran in a single race but with the wrong number and wrong driver. Sam McQuagg also ran another nearly identical paint scheme as a #71 Ford in the 1964 Southern 500, which was supposedly a year old at that point and owned by J.L. Thomas according to the caption of the picture I found. This makes me wonder if there is some other #61 Ford with this paint scheme that I'm missing that was either driven by Sam McQuagg or owned by J.L. Thomas at some point through the years these were raced.

It's a stretch, but all I've been able to come up with, and if true I think would make this a tie for the most obscure NASCAR diecast along with the #52 A.J. Foyt Mercury you mentioned in the 1971 diecast thread.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another possibility is that Richie Evans raced an orange #61 with a very similar design from the 50s-70s in many different oval-track series. I've not found any pictures of a 60s Ford Fastback of his, but if he had one, it seems like it'd almost certainly have this number and look like this if you assume the color of the diecast is a bit off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts