Diecast Crazy Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Impartially partial
9,047 Posts
1992 is my favorite year by far. The fact that Racing Champions produced a diecast car commemorating each race for Richard Petty's last season is truly special. They pretty much made a diecast for any driver you can think of. I've got quite a few pieces from 1992, but my personal favorite is a Richard Petty Fan Appreciation tour set that features a 1:24 and 1:43 car, as well as a 1:64 hauler. It also features 2 decks of collectable cards. I'm not sure if it's just 2 cards, or 2 decks of cards. I've never opened it, and I never will.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
@billykingsley
judging by your Earnhardt RC 1992 car, thats a Dale Jarrett RC 18 car they painted over, it was probably easy to paint since it was half green and half black...still the green coming up is quite odd...

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
1992 is my favorite year by far. The fact that Racing Champions produced a diecast car commemorating each race for Richard Petty's last season is truly special. They pretty much made a diecast for any driver you can think of. I've got quite a few pieces from 1992, but my personal favorite is a Richard Petty Fan Appreciation tour set that features a 1:24 and 1:43 car, as well as a 1:64 hauler. It also features 2 decks of collectable cards. I'm not sure if it's just 2 cards, or 2 decks of cards. I've never opened it, and I never will.
I got a Richard Petty car at Christmas 1992.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@billykingsley
judging by your Earnhardt RC 1992 car, thats a Dale Jarrett RC 18 car they painted over, it was probably easy to paint since it was half green and half black...still the green coming up is quite odd...
Nope, it's not. It's just green under there, and silver under that. THEN the bare metal.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No big deal, I actually have the car (and have for almost 19 years!) and have been able to examine it from all sides. You just had a picture to go on and when I take the pictures I take them to maximize the look of the car- hiding as many flaws as possible.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
I have a theory on why they used silver on Earnhardt's car numbers in 1992, to maybe honor his 5 Winston Cup trophies which at the time were the most among active drivers in that time, except for Richard Petty of course who had 7, but it was his last year. The collector card of his 1992 release had him standing next to his 5 Winston Cups.

·
The Busch Wacker
9,090 Posts
I found a #17 Maui Graphics car at my flea market. Its labeled Ford Thunderbird by matchbox 1992.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
Some Key Facts about this year
* Also in this diecast year, a lot of these cars were easy to find and many of them you could find in stores as early as 1994 as I found several 1992 cars in different stores during 1994. Especially the Legends Series, which I found a lot of in that time period.
* The Davey Allison car wasn't all that accurate as the #28 didn't have yellow trim all the way around the car. The back bumper and sides were all black but at least they had the car somewhat correct. They corrected this error in the 1993 version which looks like the real car.
* Bobby Hillin also drove the #28 in a Busch race as well. At Talladega he finished 3rd in his relief efforts.
* There were a couple of variations for the Earnhardt car, which I call the "Dale Under the Lights car" as the silver paint looks like Dale is racing at night. The variation comes in the number and in the trim which is higher and in some releases of Dale's car, the number is skinnier and the trim is a bit lower. They finally got the color right on the number 3 even though Racing Collectibles and Matchbox beat them out for it in 1992.
* Darrell Waltrip's first car that was ever issued was all stickers. It's a shame that they never made his Tide Lumina in 1/64 scale.
* Richard Petty had a diecast car made for every single race he competed in and there were some leftover cars that were done up in STP paint.
* Jimmy Hensley and Chad Little both had their cars made, and Cale Yarborough also adorned the roof rail for the #66 just like he did in 1991.
* Bill Elliott's #11 went though a couple of variations, the first was an announcement car which had the date it was announced he was joining Junior Johnson. The second was a red Ford with no Bud on the hood but a white line and Amoco stickers on the decklid and on the sides. The third was similar but had a number 11 on the hood of the car, and the final version was skinnier numbers and looked like the real car sans Bud.
* Racing Champions ran a 1992 Daytona 500 set commemorating the finish which included #28 Davey Allison in first, #21 Morgan Shepherd in second, and #15 Geoff Bodine in 3rd, a very important year for diecast indeed.
* Interestingly, Morgan Shepherd had the same paint scheme that Neil Bonnett and Dale Jarrett also drove The Road Champs version of this car is better than the Racing Champions version. The Wood Bros. scheme was kind of recycled from 1990-92.
* Geoff Bodine also had the same deal as the car was essentially the same as Morgan Shepherd's was from 1991, just with Bodine's name on the namerail.
* Dale Jarrett's car is really lime neon green with pink numbers. The numbers were red in real life and the car was not this color. The next year Racing Champions fixed this issue.
* Kyle Petty's car was all stickers and did have some variations.
* The Mike Alexander car looks very much like the Raybestos Paint Scheme that Hut Stricklin and Sterling Marlin drove.
* Interestingly, Racing Champions never made the #8 SNICKERS Ford for Dick Trickle. They did make it for Sterling Marlin when he got Raybestos sponsorship. Dick Trickle wouldn't have a diecast made by Racing Champions until about 1995.
* Ernie Irvan's car wasn't all the way accurate in the Racing Champions version as there was a black trim on the b post, the Matchbox car had it. There were variations of the Kodak car with yellow paint and then stickers on the sides which were the design and the words Kodak Gold Film, eventually the words Kodak were painted on the car and the words Gold Film and the foil design were added as stickers. Sometimes the stickers were not applied correctly which caused the Racing Champions version not to roll well at all. It was a pain in the butt back in the day.
* Also, Mark Martin has two variations with his Valvoline Ford as Racing Champions had some cars with Goodyears and some had the generic Racing Champions tires.

Reactions: Texas3
21 - 35 of 35 Posts