Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
1997 is another year I really don't remember much of. The sickness I mentioned in the 1996 lasted for the first half of 1997 as well, and it messed with much of my year.

Jeff Gordon won his second Winston Cup in 1997, and Mike Skinner won Rookie of the Year over David Green, Jeff Green and Robby Gordon, although the latter two did not run the full schedule. Skinner, in fact, was the Daytona 500 pole sitter.

1997 was a big year for diecast. It is arguably the best (1992 being the only other year that can truly make that claim) Not only was every single full time Cup team made, several of the non-full time teams as well as most of the special paint schemes, and even full time Busch teams were made. It was also the first year that correct contingencies were attempted.
1997 saw three new manufacturers enter the hobby. Hot Wheels, which had been doing some NASCAR cars on and off since 1981, jumped in full time in 1997, and would stay until 2005, when NASCAR pulled their license. Hot Wheels came in with highly accurate bodies, and an overall high level of detail.
Toy Biz came in and didn't make much of an impact, they did less than 10 cars and were not very accurate in the least.
And finally, Winner's Circle. I know many people on this board are big fans of Winner's Circle...but I hate WC. I always have. The first two years of WC were the best. They came in using the older Action tooling, at least for the Chevrolet, which was much better looking, even if not much more accurate, than what Action was producing at the time. The only good thing they ever really did was the Lifetime Series, but unfortunatly they pretty much quit doing that by 2000, and never finished most of them. Winner's Circle essentially did many of the same cars Action did, just in lower quality.
Matchbox's final year in NASCAR was 1997. By then, they were pretty much irrelavent; they didn't do any cars in 1997 not available elsewhere, and didn't do many cars at all.
97 was also Revell's final year in retail, many people mistake their cars as promos, but that's not true, each of the cars had unique packaging to each car. They would continue to do cars regularly in 1998 and 1999, but by then it was just the exact same cars as Action released, just on different bodies...and hobby shop only. I do not have most of them.

Ford retired the Thunderbird nameplate after the 1997 season, it had been the Ford of choice since 1978. It is also the winningest Ford name.

Texas Motor Speedway and California International Speedway were also added to the schedule in 1997, at the expense of one of my favorite tracks, North Wilkesboro.

1997 also saw the debut of Racing Champions' Stock Rods line. That was current paint schemes on classic street car bodies. At the time I thought it was cool, but that sort of thing has become a pet peeve of mine since then. RC issued them through 2000, and then tried again briefly in 2003. Winner's Circle also copied the idea in 1998. I don't have many of them (There are about 250 or more different cars out there) but what I do have, I don't plan to post. You can see them here if you'd like- http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/diecast/my-collection/stockrods/

1997 also saw the introduction of the 1/144th scale cars from Racing Champions. They really didn't take off and were dropped early in 1998, but I liked them. To date they are the smalled diecast I've ever seen. I don't plan to post them here, but you can see them on my website here- mixed in with NASCAR Micro Machines, the generic body cars Racing Champions issued with haulers from 1990-2002 and the few 1/87 Winner's Circle cars I have. http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/diecast/my-collection/small-scale/

NASCAR Winston Cup

Morgan Shephard

Morgan Shephard R&L Carriers. Also driven by Jerry Nadeau and Lance Hooper. (Morgan started the year in the #1, then left for the #77, then came back to the #1 to end the year) This car has a funny story to it. I was not able to find a copy in 1997, then, in 2003, I'm in the Wal-Mart in Middletown NY and there it was on the shelf! The package was in really bad shape, but the car was obviously fine. I was thrilled. It remains, to date, the oldest retail find I've ever made. Now, with Racing Champions out of the market for years, it does not appear too likely to get broken.

Rusty Wallace

Rusty Wallace Texas

Dale Earnhardt

Dale Earnhardt Raced- Daytona 500. At the 1997 Daytona 500, Dale Earnhardt was caught up in a multi-car accident near the end of the race, which saw Dale flip on the backstretch. While Dale was sitting in the ambulance awaiting the mandatory trip to the Infield Care Center, he noticed that the damage seemed to be mostly to the body, and that the wheels were still all on it and going in the right direction. He asked the track worker if the car would fire, and when it did...he got back in, drove it back around to the pits, where repairs where made, and Dale finished the race, albeit 6 laps down! It is, to me, one of those moments that you will never forget, and apparently, other people feel the same way! The version of the car Action replicated was when the car was sitting in the infield grass before the team fixed it, part of their repairs included removing the trunk. The trunk is a seperate piece so I've always thought that Action planned to release two versions, but didn't for some unknown reason.

Dale Earnhardt Plus hood. This special paint scheme hood debuted on the car at Michigan and was on the #3 for the next several months...including the 1998 Daytona 500. (Personally I never really cared for the Plus hood, I liked the classic hood that was used most of the rest of the time)

This bright orangr Wheaties car is the scheme Dale Earnhardt drove in the Winston in 1997.

Dale Earnhardt Japan

Sterling Marlin

Terry Labonte

Terry Labonte Tony the Tiger

Terry Labonte Spoooky Froot Loops. The lightning was actually chrome on the real car.

Mark Martin

Mark Martin Japan. The 50th Anniversary logo is incorrect.

Geoff Bodine

Geoff Bodine Gold Rush

Hut Stricklin

Lake Speed. This car never actually ran, at the time the NCAA prevented their slaves...I mean, members...from doing anything related to professional sports. The University of Nebraska didn't check before signing the agreement with Melling, but were stopped before the car could make the track. However, the car was made and released, although it was, and perhaps still is, quite rare. It took me years to hunt one down. The ironic thing is that if the University had just put their logo on it, and not their sports' team logo, they would have been fine...

Ricky Rudd

Ricky Rudd Mountain Spring

Brett Bodine Close Call Sweepstakes. This is actually a special paint scheme...I don't think the regular scheme was made. (It was just the Close Call in big yellow letters on the hood. Later in the year Bodine removed Close Call for non-payment and ran an unsponsored metallic purple car. I keep hoping someday I'll run across that one in scale, but as we know, they refuse to make unsponsored cars!

Steve Park ran this DEI car in a limited schedule in 1997 before running for 1998 Rookie of the Year.

Ted Musgrave

Darrell Waltrip. DW celebrated his 25th Year in Winston Cup in 1997, and ran some special paint schemes using the colors of his former sponsors. I have never been able to figure out which scheme ran at which track, so I am presenting them below in order that the original scheme was used.

But first, one of the 1997 only schemes, and my favorite of the year-the somewhat groundbreaking and controversial...

Chrome Car! Some people complained about this scheme when it was new (as being somewhat blinding) and others just hate DW, then and now. This was the first car in NASCAR history to be totally "wrapped", which is how most paint schemes are done today. DW remains one of only two drivers to drive a chrome car, Ted Musgrave drive one in 2002 as well. DW ran this car in several races in 1997, and he would also run a chrome car in both the 1999 and 2000 Winston- but as far as I know, neither of them are available in scale.
A note about the Racing Champions version of the chrome car- the paint chips VERY easily. I've already had to replace mine twice.

Darrell Waltrip Gatorade Colors- 1976-1980

Darrell Waltrip Mountain Dew Colors- 1981-82, although this scheme was 1981 only

Darrell Waltrip Pepsi Colors- 1983

Darrell Waltrip Budweiser Colors- 1984-86, although this exact scheme was 85-86 only

Darrell Waltrip Tide Colors- 1987-90

Darrell Waltrip Silver. This car is very similar to the Chrome car, but it was run only once that can be documented- at the Pepsi 400 at Daytona in July.

Bobby Labonte. Black Window version is the Roarin' Racers issue, which made a very breif resurgeance in 1997 and was never seen again.

Bobby Labonte Texas

Gary Bradberry

Michael Waltrip

Michael Waltrip Top Dog- run in the Winston

Michael Waltrip retro

Ward Burton

Ward Burton Gold

Jimmy Spencer

Jeff Gordon. The Winner's Circle version (third posted) was my 2nd WC car, which I got the day of the 1997 Busch Clash.

Jeff Gordon Chroma Premier. This scheme ran in the Busch Clash, and the Winner's Circle version was my very first WC car- I'm pushing 400 now. I hadn't even known Winner's Circle was coming, and then the day of the Busch Clash, my brother went up to the mall and brought me these two Jeff Gordon cars. The Chroma Premier car was the first that he pulled out of the bag to give to me.

Jeff Gordon Jurassic Park "T-Rex" This car was used to dominate the Winston, and much of the car was legal in the rulebooks, but pushed them to the very limits- the team was told not to bring the car to the track ever again; it went into the Hendrick Musuem. I have heard that some of the innovations on this car were incorperated into the Car of Tomorrow, and that some of things that were on this car were not illegal only because NASCAR hadn't thought of them!

Jeff Gordon Million Dollar Date. NASCAR had implemented the Winston Million in 1985, and Bill Elliott won it the first year. No one won it again...until 1997, when Jeff Gordon did! I remember very well the Southern 500 when he claimed the million dollar bonus, it was a great battle with Jeff Burton, beating and banging, tires smoking, overall great racing. Gordon prevailed. It was the final year of the Winston Million, the concept would be changed for 1998, and most people don't think for the better...I tend to be one of them.

Ricky Craven

Ricky Craven Loiue the Lizard

Rick Bickle. This car was run in the Brickyard 400 only, a second car from Darrell Waltrip's stable. As I recall, Bickle wrecked.

Kenny Irwin Tonka/Winner's Circle. Kenny Irwin came into NASCAR in 1997 in a big way, performing very well in the Truck series, and it was announced late in the year that he would be moving into the famed Robert Yates Racing #28 Fords for 1998. To get him familiarized with Winston Cup racing, he ran several late season races for David Blair Motorsports, although the cars were provided by Yates. This car is also one of only a few times where a diecast company sponsored a car and it was actually made. Action also sponsored the car, but it was not made, and Team Caliber sponsored Jeff Burton in 2004, but it too was not made.

Kenny Irwin GI Joe

Ernie Irvan. Ernie, My favorite Cup driver at that time and still high in my top 5, won in Winston Cup for the last time in 1997, at of all places, Michigan, which almost killed him in 1994, and almost killed him again- and ended his career- in 1999.

Ernie Irvan Retro. 1997 marked the 10th Anniversary of Texaco Havoline sponsoring Robert Yates Racing, so this retro scheme was run at Talladega in the fall. The real car had gold foil numbers, sponsoring and striping, silver wheels, and mimics the scheme that Davey Allison drove in 1987-89.

Robert Pressley ended 1996 in the Diamond Ridge Chevrolets, and started 1997 in what was essentially the same scheme.

Jeff Green finished the year in the Diamond Ridge Chevrolets, and also ran for Rookie of the Year despite running only about half the races.

Johnny Benson Jr.

Mike Skinner

Mike Skinner Japan

Ken Schrader

Derrike Cope

Jeremy Mayfield

Jeremy Mayfield Kids Race Against Drugs, from the Winston...actually, the Winston qualifier.

Robby Gordon

Steve Grissom

Joe Nemchek joined Sabco Racing in 1997 to replace Kyle Petty, who left to form his own team. Nemechek would stay with Sabco through 1999.

Joe Nemechek 1-800-BellSouth. This scheme was run the final three races of 1997, the diecast was released in 1998.

Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton Gooody's. This scheme was run at Martinsville...Bobby Labonte would run an almost identical scheme in 2007/08 (I forget exactly which one), although on the Dodge COT body.

Kyle Petty formed his own team, called pe2 in 1997, although in reality it was really a Petty Enterprises car.

Kyle Petty 500th Start. Petty drove this scheme at Phoenix in November. Hot Wheels issued it in a three car set but unfortunatly, mine came damaged.

Wally Dallenbach Jr.

Wally Dallenbach drove this car in Japan

Dave Marcis

Rick Mast

Rick Mast Camo

Rick Mast Stren

Bobby Hillin Jr. The body on this RCCA issue is extremely warped.

Morgan Shephard

Dale Jarrett

Dick Trickle. The real car had a teal interior (matching the nose of the car)

Mike Wallace. Wallace did not run the full schedule in this car, and even though the team ran full time in 1998 and 1999, 1997 was the only year it was made in scale.

Bill Elliott

Bill Elliott Mac Tonite- note the Amoco variants on the Hot Wheels version (the only ones to have the correct red inteior, as well)

David Green finished second to Mike Skinner for Rookie of the Year in this car.

Chad Little. A little trivia about this car. Jack Roush bought the team mid-way through the season, so for part of the season, Jack Roush actually did field something other than Fords. Roush has been a Ford stalwart since the 1960s when he was part of the Gapp & Roush drag racing team. However, the team showed up as a Ford for the 1998 season, and remained as such through 2009, it's final season as a Roush team.

Chad Little John Deere 160th Anniversary, run at the Brickyard 400

John Andretti. This promo was only available by buying a "universal" TV remote. I got it loose, much later (around 2004)

John Andretti Hot Wheels- regular, Short Track, and "basic" versions. When I got the regular version at my local TRU back in 97, I was thrilled. Apparently I pushed some other shopper's cart out of the way to get it, although I don't remember that...lol. At that point, I hadn't gotten the 98 car since 1994, and it was #1 on my wantlist.

Jeff Burton

NASCAR Busch Grand National

Buckshot Jones

Hermie Sadler

Ricky Craven

Terry Labonte

Joe Bessey

Joe Bessey

Jeff Burton

Phil Parsons

Jimmy Foster

Kenny Wallace

Tim Bender. When Bender was injured, Matt Kenseth made his NASCAR debut driving this Chevrolet, owned by Robbie Reiser. The rest, as they say, is history. The car was issued as a bagged promo.

Michael Waltrip

Chad Little

Elliott Sadler

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Wrangler, run at Atlanta & Homestead

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Gargoyles, run at Nashville and Watkins Glen

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Sikkens Blue run at either Gateway or Michigan

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Sikkens White, run at either Gateway or Michigan

Dale Jarrett

Tim Fedewa

Mike McLaughlin

Todd Bodine

Mark Green

Elton Sawyer

Dennis Setzer

Bobby Labonte

Jeff Fuller

Kyle Petty

Jason Keller

Mark Martin

Mike Dillon

Randy LaJoie. LaJoie won his second consecutive Busch title driving this car, and he also won the Daytona 300 season opener for the second consecutive year...it was the last time a Busch driver won it.

Shane Hall promo

Joe Nemechek

Kevin Lepage

Derrike Cope promo

Stevie Reeves

Glenn Allen Jr.

NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series

Billy Ogle Jr.

Michael Waltrip ( I do have a replacement for this one!)

Mike Bliss

Jay Sauter

Rick Carelli

Tammy Jo Kirk

John Nemechek. John was Joe's younger brother, but was killed in an accident during a race, becoming the first of (thankfully) 2 drivers to lose their life in the truck series. The truck was issued in a two truck set with Joe's after John was killed. The real truck obviously did not carry the memorial decal on the B pillar.

Mike Colabucci

Rick Crawford

Mike Colabucci

Mike Cope

Ron Hornaday

Johnny Benson

Michael Dokken

Tony Raines

Butch Miller

Dave Rezendes

Boris Said (I chased this truck from 1997-circa 2007)

Rodney Combs

Joe Ruttman

Stacy Compton. This truck eluded me for years, I finally got one in 2007 or 2008 as a gift from a board member here who is not on too much anymore...and I'm still very greatfull! Thanks Darce!

Joe Nemechek.

Mark Kinser

Mike Skinner. As a side note, this truck was the very first thing I purchased on Ebay when I joined on January 6th, 2006. It was not the first to arrive, but the first I bought.

Ron Barfield

Kenny Irwin Jr.

ARCA Bondo/Mar-Hyde Supercar Series

Marvin Smith

Andy Hillenberg

Rodger Blackstock. The car is a Dodge Avenger.

Tim Steele. Steele ran an almost exactly same paint scheme renumbered as #61 in the Brickyard 400, although I think it was a DNQ. Obviosuly, the car ran goodyears and had NASCAR contingencies, though.

Bob Hill

Kenny Brown Jr.

John Strandtman Jr.

NASCAR Busch Grand National, North

Stub Fadden

Lou Rettenmeier

Mike Olsen

ASA (American Speed Association)

Gary St. Amant (Note- Racing Champions used the standed contingencies, but this is not a NASCAR race car.)

USAR Hooters Pro Cup

Mario Gosselin

Hal Goodson

Mike Garvey

Dick Anderson

Unknown Series

Ricky Bryant

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I see four cars on there (the 22 and 23 Pontiacs, and both No. 88 Fords) that are 1996 cars. All NASCAR GM cars ran the headlight decals in 1997, a couple Fords (primarily Geoff Bodine) did the same, of course in 1998 all cars ran the headlights and it's been the same since. As for the 88 cars, DJ's 1997 car said "Ford Credit" on the rear fender, the '96 car had Red Carpet Lease.

Like you, Jeff Gordon's Winner's Circle car was the second one I get. The first one, gotten the same day, was Earnhardt's GM Goodwrench Plus car. Got them in early 1998.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure on the Pontiacs? I know I got both of these in 1997.

With the Fords...The Toy Biz one should be discounted. (They made the 1997 Bobby Labonte car as a Chevrolet, after all!) The Winner's Circle car would have to be considered an error, because they were not around in 1996...and only did Lifetime Series cars for Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon, at least, during this time period.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
@Billy Kingsley
First off, which thread these cars go in, doesn't matter to me, just to be clear...anyways
As far as 1997 Ward Burton cars goes...there were 2 Action Platinum series, the regular and gold schemes, there was the RCCA standard scheme and gold scheme in hood open versions, there was the Winner's Circle version of both schemes, IIRC Ward did not have another Cup car made by racing champions until the 2000 preview editions.

This Matchbox/Whitrose car was released in 1996 and is the 1996 scheme if I am not mistaken:

Here is the info on the Whiterose/Matchbox car
Ward Burton Matchbox 1:64 1996 #22 MBNA 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix - Super Stars 1000
Here is the 1997 releases:
Ward Burton Action - MA - Lionel ARC 1:64 1997 #22 MBNA Black 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Ward Burton
Action - MA - Lionel ARC 1:64 1997 #22 MBNA Gold 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Ward Burton
RCCA Club Car 1:64 1997 #22 MBNA Black 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Ward Burton
RCCA Club Car 1:64 1997 #22 MBNA Gold 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Ward Burton Winners Circle 1:64 1997 #22 MBNA Black 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Ward Burton
Winners Circle 1:64 1997 #22 MBNA Gold 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

This car below appears to be a 1996 Racing Champions as they did not make a car in 1997, but the 1996 and 1997 schemes are pretty similar:

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Are you sure on the Pontiacs? I know I got both of these in 1997.
Positive. The Rippen Motorsports car didn't even race in the Busch Series in 1997, having moved to Cup with their John Deere sponsorship.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
And regarding the Winner's Circle DJ car, wasn't there a 1996 Daytona 500 champion car produced in his LTS?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
You're welcome, not trying to come off as a know it all, I mean I am one, but still, haha. Just tryin to help.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Here's one of the trucks you missed.

29 Bob Keselowski Mopar Dodge.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, I thought Bob only had one issue. I wonder if Revell did any other trucks? I know there are about a dozen Racing Champions trucks I never was able to find.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Cool, I thought Bob only had one issue. I wonder if Revell did any other trucks? I know there are about a dozen Racing Champions trucks I never was able to find.
I was surprised to find any of the trucks in 1/64 scale. I found that one at a K B Toy outlet (I wish that store was still open). I think they also had the 18 Dana truck.

·
Dirt Circler
25 Posts
That was a great store for finding some obscure Diecasts. I too wish it was still here. The one in Glens Falls NY had a great selection.
Yeah, that was where I got almost all of the 1995 Premier Editions of the Truck Series, with the rubber tires. It was at my local KB in Grand Island, Nebraska.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Billy, I noticed you're missing the #96 Caterpillar Chevy of David Green on the list.

As far as I know, Hot Wheels was the only company to make that diecast (I have it in it's original packaging). They only produced it in the "Superspeedway" series and not the main series.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've not seen the Hot Wheels version for 1997 before, only 1998.
There is a 1997 one for sale on Ebay right now. As I said before, it was only produced in the "Superspeedway" series that year (as far as I can remember). Same with the #91 Spam car and I think there was one other that was produced in the "Superspeedway" series only and not in the main one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts