Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first I want to say I built the computer I'm using now myself around December 2006, and its running on xp home.

The first problem I have is everytime I move the slider bar on the device volume in the sounds and audio devices, the computer will make the system error beep sound. I usually move it back and forth for the headset and regular speakers alot.

And the second problem I have is I can't run AVG anti virus, a outdated version of Norton, ad-ware, spybot, and 3dmax. What happen was I got the blue screen of death and when I restarted my computer I notice that AVG and Norton wasn't in the system tray.

And when I try to run any of those programs (except 3dmax) I get the following message.

And of course the file location is different for each program. I did alittle research on google, and this is probably a virus or a trojan horse. The thing is I can't use a anti virus program, and I tried to start my computer in safe mode and I get the blue screen of death.

So what files will I need to manually delete, if this is a virus or a trojan horse? Because I've done that before on my mom's computer. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the quick response there Nick. I downloaded the avast program, and everytime I try to run it I get the "not a valid Win32 application" message.

Also I've been getting the blue screen of death screen like crazy today.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Avast is the best thing out there. i have used it for several years now and have never gotten a virus, where as with Norton and Mcafee i still had spyware and viruses. and best of all its FREE. it has been top rated for a couple of years now.

as far as your problem, i would say at least reformat your computer and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reinstall windows, I was afraid of that. Because I don't have any blank dvd cd's to back up.

Could I do a system restore? I've only done that once back in 2004 on my old computer and it worked for a 56k modem setting. The only thing I'm not sure about are personal files staying on my computer, that I 've downloaded or changed after this mess happened.

I did download Uniblue's SpyEaser and RegistryBooster programs, and on the SpyEaser program it found 9 infections. 8 of them were adware and malware, the other one was a email worm called Nyxem. It removed all of them, and it still didn't seem to fix anything. Also I found this link that list Win32 viruses.
http://www.protectorplus.com/virus_info/alerts.htm

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
the thing about viruses is that they can inbed themselves into different pieces and then replace system files to make it impossible to remove it and not screw up your computer. depending on which one it is, even a system restore wont fix it since from what it sounds like is one that has hooked itself to the main program files. you can try it and see but i wouldnt get my hopes to far up. hope it does work for you though. if it does work then i would say automatically go to avast and get it put on there. and like wise if you do have to reformat, as soon as you get it back up and running, get avast.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Here is a link to a online virus scan. There is no download, it will scan your pc for you and should find and fix any virus you have.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Here is a link to one of the best Adware/Spyware detectors that I found and use. It is from PCWorld and it is Spybot Search and Destroy.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,22262-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

They are both free to use and have helped me in the past when I was using Windows XP. I haven't had hardly any problems since I went to Windows Vista. To me XP has a lot of bugs even with all the patches Microsoft updates. Vista seems to be a more secure system to run.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I have Spybot and AVG, and thought that I was in good shape, but I downloaded the Avast and I was shocked at what it found. Thanks for the tip guys. I feel alot better about my system now!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah everytime I try to run a online virus scanner, no matter which one. It won't let me install the active x download.

I do have the following on the computer, AVG, norton, adware, and spybot, all of that was on the computer before it happend. I did download avast, and Uniblue's SpyEaser and RegistryBooster after this happend, and I can only get the Uniblue programs to work.

No matter what I do to fix this, I'll put avast on it. Because I take everybody's word on it.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
You may have to change your settings on your computer to download software. Your Firewall may be blocking the download, and that could be where the virus is after all. Try disabling firewall, just before downloading the Spybot & AVG. Hope it helps!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts