Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
JUST A RACING FAN...
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain this car for me? I have been collecting for over 10+ years of Gordon cars and this car still just baffles me? What is the significance of this car and Jeff Gordon and what is up with the cost? All these cars are going for this much and MORE still to this day 12 years later? What gives?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
probably just a hard to find Jeff Gordon diecast. It sure is ugly. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that price LoL

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
It was kind of an incentive piece made for the distributors back in 2000. My distributor at the time only charged me $100 wholesale for the 1 he could get for me. They made it sound like something super special, and I guess when they had 4000+ "dealers" back then a run of 1,800 was super low. I heard a rumor once that they had planned to do a different driver every year but I dont know if that is anything more than a rumor. Aside from that, I dont know why they put Gordon's name on it, I just know that they 1 I bought I kept for myself and still have it.

·
JUST A RACING FAN...
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so this explains a lot. There is no signifance to Gordon and this car they just throw the name out there to sell! Got it. This is similar to the Brickyard car they made for Gordon. I found it at Bristol a couple years ago and asked the seller and he said he didn't know. I said, well he didn't win in 2000? So of course I had to buy it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That car is rare because in 2000 Action wanted to try and do a lot of those for each NASCAR driver. The only problem was that Jeff Gordon was the top pick and knew it would sell fast. That's why when you look at it, Gordon had a lot of promotional cars because he was the guy everyone liked. I am trying to get this car as well and to be honest that is going a little lower. I remember bidding on one of these and the guy got for $400.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Ok, so this explains a lot. There is no signifance to Gordon and this car they just throw the name out there to sell! Got it. This is similar to the Brickyard car they made for Gordon. I found it at Bristol a couple years ago and asked the seller and he said he didn't know. I said, well he didn't win in 2000? So of course I had to buy it.
These were IMS exclusives back in 2000. They made them before the race for 3,8,24, and 88 I believe. I think they made them in 1998 too as Revell pieces.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
At that point in time Action had 18 distributors, supposedly each distributor was to get 100 pieces to use as an incentive to move extra unsold inventory.

Wasn't easy to get then and really hard to get now.

Scott

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
When I had my shop, and did die-cast shows, I used to sell these, the Chromapremiere and the Jurassic Park c/w/c's routinely for between $300.00 and $350.00 each...and people would pay $500.00 to $600.00 for a pair of this and one of the others together..ahhh. the good old days...

·
JUST A RACING FAN...
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I had my shop, and did die-cast shows, I used to sell these, the Chromapremiere and the Jurassic Park c/w/c's routinely for between $300.00 and $350.00 each...and people would pay $500.00 to $600.00 for a pair of this and one of the others together..ahhh. the good old days...
Yeah. Those days are gone. Lol

·
24 Fan
304 Posts
Man I tell you, this website is awesome. There is so much diecast knowledge on here I don't even know what to ask next! Thanks to everyone for posting up on this topic. Very good explanations and history on the item.
I agreed...I have a lot of questions and I honestly don't want to seem like a PIA to everyone. One question a week will do I guess lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts