Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little surprised to see the return of the 6 car in 2015, with Trevor Bayne finally getting a chance to run a full time schedule in the Cup series with Advocare as the primary sponsor. Didn't they want to remain in Nationwide for another year? Well on Saturday it was all about how Roush Fenway was returning to 4 teams. 3 days later the rumor is that Greg Biffle will be in Sprint Cup but it will be with another team. And there is this guy named Carl Edwards who has been talking to other teams. I think Biffle and Edwards will both be elsewhere in 2015.

I made a prediction that Roush Fenway was nearing the end and someone commented saying its like how Melling fell off the map in the 90s and Yates in the 00's. I don't remember Melling that much other than how they were not that great of a team when I started watching in 1997. I do remember Robert Yates Racing. They were great but starting in 2006 the team didn't win a single race and wouldn't win again. Dale Jarrett was getting old and had only won 2 races over the past three seasons and he announced that he would go to a startup Michale Waltrip Racing team with UPS as the sponsor. Three months later in a surprise change, Elliott Sadler moved over to Ray Evernham Racing to run the 19 Dodge. The guy who replaced him was a guy with limited experience in David Gilliand but he had beat several Cup guys in a Busch race earlier that year in Kentucky with an underfunded unsponsered team. Who would replace Jarrett, there was a rumor that Stephen Leicht would but that never happenened and instead Yates went with Ricky Rudd who didn't start a single race at all in 2006. He was tapped to replace Jarrett and Mars would sponsor both cars. 2007 was not a great year for both drivers and there was a merge at some point with Newman Lanagin ( I think that was the name and it didn't last long) and it didn't get better when Mars left to go to Joe Gibbs Racing. 2008 RYR ran a full schedule with Travis Kvapil in the 28 car and David Gilliland in the 38 car with a random, one off assortment of sponsors. Late in 2008 Paul Menard and the Menards sponsorship went to RYR and Travis Kvapil would be back for another season in the 28 and Bobby Labonte and Hall of Fame Racing merged with RYR and Ask.com sponsored most of the races. However the 28 would shut down opeartions early in the season and by later that season Bobby Labonte was replaced with Erik Darnell in 7 races. The end of RYR would come that summer when Yates merged with Ray Evernham and Richard Petty Enterprises. That was it the end of RYR.

I see Roush going the same path of RYR. Its going to be sad to see but I predict that within three years Roush Fenway is merged with another team. Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse Jr are good drivers, but there not great. Next year this might be what Roush Racing is a two car team with two young drivers because I can't see some A or B level veteran driver coming to this team in 2015. There needs to be, because Ford needs Roush. Ford just needs more cars and more relevant drivers. Maybe there will be rumors about Roush keeping four teams and adding two new drivers from a list of the following: AJ Allmendinger, Casey Mears, Martin Truex, Regan Smith, Sam Hornish or Elliott sadler but that's all it will be just rumors. It might be a step up for Regan Smith and Elliott Sadler and I am sure Sam Hornish would jump at the opportunity but for the other three Mears, Truex and Allmendinger it would just be a lateral move since those three are RCR cars just with a different team name.

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
I agree RFR has issues, but I don't think it's as dire as you say. Roush is a far bigger animal than Yates ever was company wise and $$$ wise. They're Ford's #1 team despite what people believe about Penske. Roush and Ford have many interests together. RFR will be fine and is in it for the long haul. I agree they need a marque name or two. Stenhouse and Bayne are not there and may never be. Let's face it though it's not like Biffle is either. He's 44 years old and not setting the world on fire. He's not Carl Edwards in talant or popularity. I don't know who is going to be in play next year, but I'd bet they're looking. I don't see there being many better opportunities for Biffle, especially with Edwards supposedly looking too.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
Out of what you listed, I don't see any of them going honestly.

AJ is running stronger now than he has, it's a good fit there for the team and the RCR program works well.

Casey switched from Ford to Chevy for a reason, I don't see them going back.

Truex is in same boat

Sadler is unknown about a lot honestly, so who knows

Hornish I think is happy with where he is, he allows him to relax a little and find the best fit.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
None of those drivers mentioned will doing anything to keep Roush amongst the top teams in Cup. Allmendinger might have some talent, but the others are pretty much retreads who would run mid pack. A mid 40s Biffle would still be better than Truex, Mears, or Sadler. If Biffle leaves, I'd rather take a chance on an unknown quantity like Alex Bowman than a "safe" pick who isn't going to do anything of importance in the long run.

The main priority for Roush at this point should be to keep Edwards in the stable, though I don't know how likely that will be.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Out of what you listed, I don't see any of them going honestly.

AJ is running stronger now than he has, it's a good fit there for the team and the RCR program works well.

Casey switched from Ford to Chevy for a reason, I don't see them going back.

Truex is in same boat

Sadler is unknown about a lot honestly, so who knows

Hornish I think is happy with where he is, he allows him to relax a little and find the best fit.
What do you mean Sadler is unknown about? You mean his future plans?

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
None of those drivers mentioned will doing anything to keep Roush amongst the top teams in Cup. Allmendinger might have some talent, but the others are pretty much retreads who would run mid pack. A mid 40s Biffle would still be better than Truex, Mears, or Sadler. If Biffle leaves, I'd rather take a chance on an unknown quantity like Alex Bowman than a "safe" pick who isn't going to do anything of importance in the long run.

The main priority for Roush at this point should be to keep Edwards in the stable, though I don't know how likely that will be.
Sadler is not the caliber of Biffle I agreed, but unlike some other drivers listed the guy can still draw sponsorship. Many sponsors love the guy and he's still relatively popular. Keep in mind I'm not talking performance.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Yup, Gibbs might not be the best but going to Roush isn't always the best idea when they are in a similar boat he has been in before.
Yeah I'm not sure what he's doing. I've heard the rumor One Main wants to go to cup. Sadler is not a top performer, but he could land in a cup car somewhere if he brings One Main.

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
I'd bet dollars to donuts that Roush will make a play for Ryan Blaney, if Carl is leaving. I'm sure Roush hit the panic switch when Bowyer re-signed with Michael Waltrip Racing because he was the only "major" driver that was in-play for a new deal outside of Carl/Biff.

·
Just CraZy
20,749 Posts
It was me who said about Yates and the Mellings. I actually called in on SiriusXM about this but I was last caller and they had to rush it but I see it happening. I don't have a Crystal Ball but when I went to Roush last Saturday, it definately lost its luster. Other teams at least are doing fine or better. I dont see the passion in Roush anymore as in 2006.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
It was me who said about Yates and the Mellings. I actually called in on SiriusXM about this but I was last caller and they had to rush it but I see it happening. I don't have a Crystal Ball but when I went to Roush last Saturday, it definately lost its luster. Other teams at least are doing fine or better. I dont see the passion in Roush anymore as in 2006.

I'm curious by what you mean by saying you were there last Saturday and it's lost it's luster. I was there two weeks ago just before the All Star race and I've been there like 5 or 6 times before that. It didn't look or feel any different to me. I don't know how you could observe the passion of the organization during a short visit.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
I'm curious by what you mean by saying you were there last Saturday and it's lost it's luster. I was there two weeks ago just before the All Star race and I've been there like 5 or 6 times before that. It didn't look or feel any different to me. I don't know how you could observe the passion of the organization during a short visit.
Honestly only one other track I think has a lot more "fans" and passion for the sport. It's Talladega (this all based on tracks I've been to).

·
Just CraZy
20,749 Posts
Everyone who was there seemed to have no passion in what they were doing. Yes it was saturday so im sure that they would rather be home but no one was there. Im 2006, it was booming and it was probably one of the best places that I went to. Every other shop was happy and passionate (well seemed it) about what they were doing. Im sure you think this is some Bs statement that I made but ehh i just dont think Roush has the love anymore.

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
Everyone who was there seemed to have no passion in what they were doing. Yes it was saturday so im sure that they would rather be home but no one was there. Im 2006, it was booming and it was probably one of the best places that I went to. Every other shop was happy and passionate (well seemed it) about what they were doing. Im sure you think this is some Bs statement that I made but ehh i just dont think Roush has the love anymore.

I'm not saying it's a BS statement at all. I was actually very interested in how you came to that conclusion in such a short visit. As I said I don't know how you can gauge the passion of an organization in such a visit. I was there shortly before you were and things seemed fine to me.......same as the other 1/2 dozen times I visited.

Who did you engage to form your opinion? The PR staff and gift shop employees. Did you get tours through the actual shops and get a feel for the guys that turn the wrenches? Did Jack speak or did you speak to him? I'm really trying to understand how you formed an opinion of the "passion" of the entire organization.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts