Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Grumpy
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got these badboys from [MENTION=505]diecastcarsnc[/MENTION]

had to pay customs charges of around $20 (was £13) which sucked but thats crappy customs rather than scott

so happy and a huge thank you to scott!

·
Super Grumpy
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, cant even get out of it and I work for them and dont worry scott, the cars are enough!!!

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Wow that does really suck! Good enough to know though. Is there a certain weight or what?

BTW nice adds!
Not weight. Customs is based on the price you paid for the items + shipping cost.

If someone would import the diecast here as part of their business, and sell them, they´d pay taxes just as well, so basically there is no way around it.

I´m not sure if you´d have to pay import taxes on products shipped from Europe to the US though. Never tried that.

The taxes are 19% of the value of a product for most items imported to Europe. Some countries charge an additional sum of around 6% when the value exceeds a certain limit, and I know Germany has a tax-free amount of $33.

@jolof96, you´ll get used to paying taxes. If not, best consider moving to the US.

On the bright side, I received 2 shipments of diecast without having to pay taxes. The value exceeded $33 both times, but apparently someone was asleep at German customs. I thank him/her for that.

My total amount spent on Diecast bought through eBay in the past 12 months is $2005 (rounded down)

$580 of that amount went in shipping cost alone
$275 of that amount went in taxes
That leaves $1150 spent on actual diecast

I also spent some money on deals with people on this site so the years total comes closer to $3000, which is for taxes, shipping and the toys.

Now what did that get me? I´m on my way to 40 diecast, which averages on $75/diecast all included. They are all 1:24´s. I bet 1:64´s are quite a bit cheaper, helping you to keep numbers down a bit.

The alternative is looking at what´s available in Europe. You don´t pay taxes on it because the seller already did. You can actually get a small number of 2011 diecast and quite a few older diecast from sellers in Europe. The prices in the 1:64´s average around $15 a piece.

Personally I prefer the wider range of available diecast through US sellers, and unfortunately that means living with the additional cost of shipping and taxes.

·
Super Grumpy
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I expected to have to pay customs charges, still just a bummer when I did, although upon further investogation, I only had to pay actual duty of £5, royal mail (our postal service) decided its costs £8 for them to keep hold of it an extra few days

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I expected to have to pay customs charges, still just a bummer when I did, although upon further investogation, I only had to pay actual duty of £5, royal mail (our postal service) decided its costs £8 for them to keep hold of it an extra few days
So they charged you extra to hold the package, wow, sucks dude!

Sorry

Scott

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
I haven't paid import tax on anything I have ordered from UK, or Hong Kong unless it was included in the shipping price.

So lets say someone sends you a gift, then what happens?
Then that someone still has to quote a value for the shipped item.
If you don´t quote a value the item is not insured in case of loss.

If you send a gift and the person receiving the item does not have an invoice the value of the item is based on the value listed in the shipping papers.

If no value is listed in the shipping papers and the item is a gift, customs looks for a representative value (most of the times they use ebay or similar to estimate a value for the item) and you pay taxes over that.

·
Prototype CraZy!
3,082 Posts
Nice adds!
But not so good with the extra cost for customs..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.