Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to say, Another indicator of a diminishing interest. Over the last few years, the Target’s in my area have had a NASCAR isle in the Automotive Department for things like flags, banners, cozies, cups and other assorted NASCAR related items and trinkets. For 2008, that area is gone. All they have now are the NASCAR DieCast in the toy department.

Now I guess you have to get these items from either an authorized M /A retailer (none within a 100+ miles) or an internet source.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
i know our had the row for those but like you said, it is now gone. they have had to mark most of it down for the last 2 years. i guess they figure if they dont hold it, they wont loose money on it. I know the Stewart and Jr stuff sold but most of the rest sat there and collected dust until they marked it down.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
This isn't really that much of an indicator. These aren't the products that really drive the market anyway.

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
1,120 Posts
Why doesn't anyone factor in the economy into this?
Lotta people outta work....homes forclosed on...gas is $3+ a gallon.

The local NASCAR Diecast shop Guy here says He has at least 4-5 people a month trying to sell Him their collections.
Sure this stuff isn't gonna sell if a person has no job and has other priorities.
Not to mention that WC stuff has gone up the past 2 years and they mass produce for some dumb reason.
It's not just this Hobby that's suffering from economics....ALL of em are!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Of course they mass produce the WC cars, cause they are not designed to be a collectible version. They were designed to be a childs toy, and the Action cars were designed to be the collectible version. The financial crunch is what turned WC into a collectible also. People want to collect and cannot or will not pay what it costs for the Action version.
But to WC they are still a childs toy, so they will not limit the production. That is why you see a production stcker on the Action pieces and you do not on the WC pieces.

·
Banned
0 Posts
It seems that Winner's Circle is trying to produce more than just a toy these days...look at the boxed 1/64 and 1/24's...the Hendrick 4 car set, etc...if they were still marketing their cars exclusively as toys there would be no need to produce anything other than the 1/64 cars with the trinkets and the regular 1/24's imo.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Oh I agree. They are a true collectible now, but the response was to the mass production comment. I guess what I should have said was they WERE designed to be a toy, not ARE designed to be a toy. That way they still fill the toy niche. That is why there is no limit to the production. That way they can service both ends of the spectrum. It can be a toy and yet still be a collectible for those who choose not to spend as much, or who are not as hung up on detail. I hope I'm being clear in what I am saying. I respect those who collect them, as much if not more than those who collect purely MA/Action cars, or even Elites strictly. They are not letting financial restraints hold them back from persuing their passion for collecting.

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
1,120 Posts
Point of My comment of MASS producing WC cars is......
If they aren't selling that great and the store ends up not buying as many....
Thus WC ends up liquidating them.....why make so damn many?

Can't be that many Parents buying them for Kids Toys these days for what they cost.
It's not so much the 1/64 cars at $5-$7 that's not bad at all.
But $25 for a 1/24(what we called in the model biz as "Curb Side" nothing opens) is a lil steep.
The 1/24's now days are a lil nicer than a kids toy....you should see the 1995-96 Revell's I have! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts