Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
toyota speedway at irwindale is closed. it joins a long list in southern california that includes major nascar tracks. tracks grow old and die but when there is only one left that doesn't say much about the future of racing especially short tracks. there is a brand new banked 1/2 mile sitting in kern county rotting away. almost finished and the owners went bankrupt before it could open. Fontana auto club speedway is waiting for a court decision that may close its drag strip and bets are the whole track not too far away. oh well a local problem? some night you may get to your favorite track and find a big CLOSED sign. it is the sign of the times and nascar could care less. end of obituary.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
I wish I saw Ontario or Riverside In Person, Sucks for SoCal, Stay Strong.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Know what you mean Wayne, I like in Altadena like 20 mins from Irwindale and went almost every week to see races. I hope someone steps in and the track reopens. Hope AAA Speedway doesn't go anywhere as I love going out for the Nascar weekend every year. Sucks we lost a weekend as it is.

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,902 Posts
[MENTION=2131]nascarmcjr[/MENTION] One article said they had already tore down the main grandstands.If that is in fact true I doubt you will be back racing next year.

After loosing Toyota sponsorship and wanting to RAPE vendors for a outrageous price on a weekly basis you reap what you sow to a certain point.You have to be creative and work with your fans,racers vendors,sanctioning bodies.Evidnetly Irwindale wasnt willing to do this and where do they end up?Sitting vacant waiting for the wrecking ball hoping someone will buy the land for industrial usuage.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
My only local track Hialeah Speedway was closed back in 2005 it had been around for 51 years they built a lowe's and target on what used to be it had some great racing figure 8 racing, truck racing, bus racing, late model, mini stock lots of racing Bobby and Donnie Allison raced at the track when they were younger its a shame that these great short tracks are closing down

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
As far as I know all they tore was the pit stands in turn one which was just for the crews to see the race. It was a very small grandstand.

@nascarmcjr One article said they had already tore down the main grandstands.If that is in fact true I doubt you will be back racing next year.

After loosing Toyota sponsorship and wanting to RAPE vendors for a outrageous price on a weekly basis you reap what you sow to a certain point.You have to be creative and work with your fans,racers vendors,sanctioning bodies.Evidnetly Irwindale wasnt willing to do this and where do they end up?Sitting vacant waiting for the wrecking ball hoping someone will buy the land for industrial usuage.

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,902 Posts
[MENTION=1664]bdrescher[/MENTION] Hopefully they can save Irwindale!Irwindale has no one to blame but thereselves for there own closing.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
@nascarmcjr one article said they had already tore down the main grandstands.if that is in fact true i doubt you will be back racing next year.

After loosing toyota sponsorship and wanting to rape vendors for a outrageous price on a weekly basis you reap what you sow to a certain point.you have to be creative and work with your fans,racers vendors,sanctioning bodies.evidnetly irwindale wasnt willing to do this and where do they end up?sitting vacant waiting for the wrecking ball hoping someone will buy the land for industrial usuage.

like brandon said it was only the pit stands ......the powers that were at that track were horrible ....most racers there are more than glad to see them go !!!.......2012 is more than likley a complete bust as they have said ......im more than sure it will be back at some point in time .....there have been lots of talks of it not being a nascar sanctioned track if and when it opens ...we will see....lots of us socal racers up the creek with out a paddle !

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Suck to be losing another great local race track!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts