Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about this (as I don't think anyone mentioned it on air): There are a few drivers that are going to a back-up for the shootout like Kurt and Kyle Busch, then they drew their starting spots for the Shootout. Are they going to have to go to the rear of the field because of the back-up? Isn't the rule about back-ups that once your primary car goes through inspection, you have to go to the rear of the field if you have to go to a back-up?

Sorry if it's a silly question.

·
I love lamp
2,328 Posts
The shootout isnt a points race so that rule doesnt apply.

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shootout isnt a points race so that rule doesnt apply.
Okay, thanks. Toyota Racing just posted on their Facebook how Kyle "may" have to go the bakc of the field, so it got me wondering. Thanks.

·
I love lamp
2,328 Posts
Ive seen it before that they havent but dont take my word for it. I know they said he was pulling his engine so that might have somthing to do with it.

Okay, thanks. Toyota Racing just posted on their Facebook how Kyle "may" have to go the bakc of the field, so it got me wondering. Thanks.

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,242 Posts
This article on NASCAR.COM says that its up to the officials whether or not they go to the back or keep their spot.

Truex's plan works out with Shootout pole - Feb 17, 2012 - NASCAR.COM

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Martin Truex Jr. will start from the pole in Saturday night's 34th Budweiser Shootout after claiming the top spot on the grid in a blind draw of numbers taped to bottles.
"I had a plan, and I stuck to it," Truex said after picking the winning bottle from the far right end of the line, as he faced it.
Kyle Busch grabbed the second starting spot for the season-opening exhibition race at Daytona International Speedway, but whether he'll actually line up there remains to be seen.
Busch went to a backup car after falling victim to a multicar crash in Friday's first practice session. The second session was halted by rain, and Busch did not practice the backup No. 18 Toyota. Typically, backup cars that have not had track time in practice must start from the rear.
Because the Shootout is a non-points event, however, NASCAR is reserving judgment on the enforcement of that rule until Saturday.
The decision also will affect the starting positions of Brad Keselowski (who drew the third position), defending race winner Kurt Busch (sixth) and A.J. Allmendinger (ninth), all of whom were collected in the same wreck that KO'd Kurt Busch and all of whom were forced to backup cars.
Dale Earnhardt Jr., who won the Shootout in 2003 and 2008, will start eighth, after drawing his old Dale Earnhardt Inc. car number. Budweiser sponsorship on the No. 29 Chevrolet didn't help Kevin Harvick, who won the race in 2009 and 2010. Harvick drew the 22nd starting position.
The race is scheduled for 75 laps (187.5 miles) to be contested in segments of 25 and 50 laps. Between the two segments, teams will have 10-minute pit stops to make adjustments to their cars.

·
Premium Member
7,778 Posts
I see no reason why they should have to go to the back of the field. It's not like they used those cars to qualify and then went to a backup car. We'll see what NASCAR decides. Why can't they just say yes or no? Why wait?

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This article on NASCAR.COM says that its up to the officials whether or not they go to the back or keep their spot.

Truex's plan works out with Shootout pole - Feb 17, 2012 - NASCAR.COM

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Martin Truex Jr. will start from the pole in Saturday night's 34th Budweiser Shootout after claiming the top spot on the grid in a blind draw of numbers taped to bottles.
"I had a plan, and I stuck to it," Truex said after picking the winning bottle from the far right end of the line, as he faced it.
Kyle Busch grabbed the second starting spot for the season-opening exhibition race at Daytona International Speedway, but whether he'll actually line up there remains to be seen.
Busch went to a backup car after falling victim to a multicar crash in Friday's first practice session. The second session was halted by rain, and Busch did not practice the backup No. 18 Toyota. Typically, backup cars that have not had track time in practice must start from the rear.
Because the Shootout is a non-points event, however, NASCAR is reserving judgment on the enforcement of that rule until Saturday.
The decision also will affect the starting positions of Brad Keselowski (who drew the third position), defending race winner Kurt Busch (sixth) and A.J. Allmendinger (ninth), all of whom were collected in the same wreck that KO'd Kurt Busch and all of whom were forced to backup cars.
Dale Earnhardt Jr., who won the Shootout in 2003 and 2008, will start eighth, after drawing his old Dale Earnhardt Inc. car number. Budweiser sponsorship on the No. 29 Chevrolet didn't help Kevin Harvick, who won the race in 2009 and 2010. Harvick drew the 22nd starting position.
The race is scheduled for 75 laps (187.5 miles) to be contested in segments of 25 and 50 laps. Between the two segments, teams will have 10-minute pit stops to make adjustments to their cars.
Of course he didn't go back out onto the track... it started raining and they (NASCAR) called off further practice so they didn't miss the shootout draw. Ah well.

·
#Champ18n
10,102 Posts
Its a non-points race and it should be a race with little rules like this one. I really hope Kyle still starts 2nd!

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
ehh it's the shootout...doesn't really matter where any of them start...they go balls to the walls anyhow and sometimes a guy near the rear of the pack has the biggest advantage seeing the wreck develop ahead of them. If it were at Bristol...I'd say it's an issue. Daytona is so wide open it means nada.

·
Look Who's Back!!
2,265 Posts
Kyle tweeted that yes they will have to go to the backup.

·
Look Who's Back!!
2,265 Posts
ehh it's the shootout...doesn't really matter where any of them start...they go balls to the walls anyhow and sometimes a guy near the rear of the pack has the biggest advantage seeing the wreck develop ahead of them. If it were at Bristol...I'd say it's an issue. Daytona is so wide open it means nada.

Now there's an idea. Could you imagine the Bud Shootout or All-Star race at Bristol. Man what would that race look like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts