Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two CAT cars at Sonoma, no #36, Mayfield sits out: There will be two Cat/Bill Davis Racing entries at the road course this weekend. Dave Blaney will be joined this weekend at Bill Davis Racing by road racer Butch Leitzinger who will drive the #23 Caterpillar Racing entry at Infineon Raceway. Jeremy Mayfield will return to his regular ride in the #36 360 OTC Toyota next week at [Loudon] New Hampshire International Speedway. Leitzinger has made three starts in Nextel Cup Series competition - all at Watkins Glen International - and has finished as high as 12th. Leitzinger takes a break from his American LeMans Series driving duties with Dyson Racing to compete in the event at Infineon Raceway for BDR. The 38-year old from Homestead, Pa., has won the 24 Hours of Daytona three times, the World Sportscar Championship twice and both the CanAm Championship and IMSA GTU Championship. He has also posted three victories in NASCAR's Busch North Series and a podium finish in the Busch Series event at Watkins Glen International. The #22 Caterpillar Toyota Blaney is scheduled to drive this weekend at Infineon Raceway is COT 11. The team has tested this Toyota Camry at Virginia International Raceway twice during the last several weeks in preparation for this event. The team has prepared COT 9 for Leitzinger to drive this weekend. Though this car wasn't tested at VIR, Leitzinger spent several days testing with the team at that track. Tom Hubert, a native of Cottonwood, Calif. and rear tire changer for the #22 Caterpillar Racing team, will once again compete in the NASCAR Grand National Division, West Series event at Infineon Raceway Saturday afternoon. Hubert finished fifth in the race last year after starting in the 11th spot.(BDR PR)(6-19-2007)(jayski.com)

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
I saw this. Im really starting to hope Jeremy can get somewhere else next year. I had faith in BDR but it is quickly leaving me. If Hubert is in the 23 then why cant Jeremy try to qualify the 36? Its not like Jeremy is horrible on road courses. Just doesnt make sense.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
MWR is sitting out Reutimann too. How the hell are guys going to learn to race on the road courses unless you give them a chance.

I agree with you. Why not let Mayfield get a shot? How does his sponsor feel about not even having their car on the track?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
demondecko said:
I saw this. Im really starting to hope Jeremy can get somewhere else next year. I had faith in BDR but it is quickly leaving me. If Hubert is in the 23 then why cant Jeremy try to qualify the 36? Its not like Jeremy is horrible on road courses. Just doesnt make sense.
Leitzinger is in the 23, I'm gueesing because 360 OTC doesn't want anyone else with that nmuber. So the 23 is probably using the 36's points, but I wouldn't really matter, they have to get in on time.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
taterracing said:
MWR is sitting out Reutimann too. How the hell are guys going to learn to race on the road courses unless you give them a chance.

I agree with you. Why not let Mayfield get a shot? How does his sponsor feel about not even having their car on the track?
Reutimann is running well in the Busch Series right now and with Sonoma and the Mile being so far apart, Mikey wants to give him a break to help him run well and not be distracted.

As for Mayfield, rumor is that the buttheads at 360 OTC are going dump sponsorship they already did it with the truck.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the Trim-Spa deal w/Braun Racing. They started a new product and went big, advertising w/Jr. and Jason Leffler and then, when the product went tits up, they quit the sponsorship midway through the year, leaving the team hanging.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
taterracing said:
Even though they dropped sponsoring the truck team, they don't mind promoting it on their site.

http://www.360otc.com/downloads/index.html

I really don't trust these guys. They walked away from a deal with MMM late last year, done away with the truck team, and now Mayfield sitting out... Not good.
Well I hope MMM wins the court case aginst them soon.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
The sponsor on the truck was suppose to be back. They didnt drop sponsoring completely. When Walker stopped driving the truck they were suppose to be back when he was. Then he got suspended. I dunno if the sponsor is tied in with the driver or what. Cause 360 is "suppose" to be back with Mayfield next week. Ill be honest though, Im surprised they hung around this long. They really arent a very reliable company.

I also dont believe thats the reason David isnt in the Burger King car this week. I know thats what they have said but whats the point? There is no way he is going to catch Edwards in the Busch points. And if he is going to be in the car next year he needs to be familiar with the Road courses. Are they going to take him out every time they are at a RC like they do with Tony Raines? Just doesnt show a lot of confidence in your driver if you ask me.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Why did Walker leave the truck before he flunked the drug test? I was curious about that?

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
demondecko said:
The sponsor on the truck was suppose to be back. They didnt drop sponsoring completely. When Walker stopped driving the truck they were suppose to be back when he was. Then he got suspended. I dunno if the sponsor is tied in with the driver or what. Cause 360 is "suppose" to be back with Mayfield next week. Ill be honest though, Im surprised they hung around this long. They really arent a very reliable company.

I also dont believe thats the reason David isnt in the Burger King car this week. I know thats what they have said but whats the point? There is no way he is going to catch Edwards in the Busch points. And if he is going to be in the car next year he needs to be familiar with the Road courses. Are they going to take him out every time they are at a RC like they do with Tony Raines? Just doesnt show a lot of confidence in your driver if you ask me.
If he cant get it done on the ovals, more than likely he cant get it done on a road course right now either. This is a very effective way for an owner to get some "free" owner points rather than miss another race, and fall even more behind. Im sure theyre will be plenty of test sessions for David at Road America or VIR over the course of the year.. but right now.. MWR cant afford it.

And... Ive heard mayfield to RCR is '08.. just a rumor.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
demondecko said:
Yeah he may not catch Edwards, but hey 2nd place pays a lot too and hes only 69 points out of there, hell when he starts the engine Saturday night he'll move ahead of Kevin Harvick. Which is why I question not having Regan Smith in that race. As for RC experince Reut can make up at Montreal and Watkins Glen.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
1Bob29 said:
If he cant get it done on the ovals, more than likely he cant get it done on a road course right now either. This is a very effective way for an owner to get some "free" owner points rather than miss another race, and fall even more behind. Im sure theyre will be plenty of test sessions for David at Road America or VIR over the course of the year.. but right now.. MWR cant afford it.

Yeah thats what Im saying, why not just come out and say that instead of saying they want him to concentrate on the Busch. Where did you hear the RCR rumor? Ive heard it too but only on the Mayfield boards. It would be great if true.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't really blame the bad finishes on David, remember Toyota has finally gotten thier heads out of thier rear ends and put some HP into those engines, David ran well Sunday with a top 15, like I said thier reasoning is pretty truthful, they have good run going in Busch and they don't want to hamper that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I said it last year when they announced this OTC deal, I doubted the 36 would last the year from funding from a new medication brand. Not a good idea to start a whole new team fully supported by something like that. Then again Davis hasn't made any good decisions in a while.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
demondecko said:
1Bob29 said:

Yeah thats what Im saying, why not just come out and say that instead of saying they want him to concentrate on the Busch. Where did you hear the RCR rumor? Ive heard it too but only on the Mayfield boards. It would be great if true.
I saw it on the Harvick board.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts