Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – NASCAR announced that the No. 23 Toyota team in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series has been penalized for rule violations committed last week during a test session at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Three penalties have been assessed to the No. 23 Toyota team for violating Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 12-4-J (permitting a non-NASCAR licensed driver to drive the No. 23 truck) of the 2007 NASCAR Rule Book.

Crew chief Trip Bruce has been fined $10,000 and suspended from the next two NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series championship events until May 30, 2007. Driver Johnny Benson has been penalized with the loss of 50 championship driver points. Truck owner Gail Davis has been penalized with the loss of 50 championship owner points.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Didn't the guy wreck the truck to? I thought I heard something to that affect on the SPEED Report. Benson is an idiot for letting him drive it anyway as he has no NASCAR License for one thing and wasn't there other trucks testing at the same time as well? What get's me is this rule doesn't seem to be one where you could claim a "gray area" This one seems to be spelled it plain as day. Benson is an idiot for doing this.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
We don't even know if Benson was present when this happened, so it's not fair to blame him for this. He also doesn't own the truck or run that team. He's just the driver. We have no idea who said "hey, put this guy in the truck." And yes, he did end up demolishing the truck. It's a shame that Benson takes the hit for this, if he did have nothing to do with it. If he said "take it for a spin," then, well, he got what he deserved I guess. But we don't know the whole story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts