Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Card Pimp
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to take a minute and give you some quick collecting tips to help you be more informed when making purchases off e-bay....

Recently there have been a small group of sellers that have been going the extra mile to CREATE cards...
they will take a base or insert card...
and then they will cut a hole in the card which basically makes the card worthless ....
then they will get a piece of fabric...or sheetmetal...glue it onto the card and get a machine that can foil stamp and stamp 1/1 on the card....

the materials are not from the actual driver or drivers...they are not Press Pass certified and would be no different that you taking a pair of scissors to one of your cards and cutting a piece off of your shirt and sticking to a card.....

most of these sellers are circumventing e-bay rules by ADDING the word "CUSTOM" to their auction....which cover them for fraud....they are also making their auctions private so bidders cannot be warned that the card is a bootleg..

I have contacted Press Pass and basically once it leaves their boxes there is no longer anything they can do to the get the auctions removed...nor do anything legally to the people creating them...

if you ever have a question about the authenticity of a race used card ...ask the seller for a picture of the back of the card....all Press Pass certified race used cards have a COA on the back of them....

hope I have saved at least one person from getting a bad experience in the hobby...
and if you have any questions ...or need help verifying cards LMK
Chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Just saw one of those go out this last weekend for Harvick. I almost bid on it but the 1/1 threww a big ? up!! Glad I didn't bid. I would have been pissed if I would have gotten a custom fake for $25.00! That's good info!!! Thanks for posting!!

·
Card Pimp
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the opening bid on it to get the sellers contact info...
not sure what your rules are for posting that type info ...so I won't display it on here...
but if you ever have a question about a race used or auto...
e-mail me and I can tell pretty quick if it is legit...
[email protected]
CHris
also AVOID any mutlicolor race used cards from Circleville OHIO....

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
outsk8u said:
I put the opening bid on it to get the sellers contact info...
not sure what your rules are for posting that type info ...so I won't display it on here...
but if you ever have a question about a race used or auto...
e-mail me and I can tell pretty quick if it is legit...
[email protected]
CHris
also AVOID any mutlicolor race used cards from Circleville OHIO....
i wouldnt say post his contact info , but i would say that you should post at least his seller name or a link to his store.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
"Custom" cards are getting really ridiculous. At least most sellers will tell you it is a custom card. Like Chris said if you ever have any doubts get a scan of the back of the card. This practice has been going on for a few years in other sports and has now made it to racing I guess. Also, be on the lookout for multi-colored swatches in Fleer products. Many Fleer cards were sold at their bankruptcy auction a couple years ago that had the space cut out for game-used swatches but Fleer never filled them in. Dishonest folks have purchased these cards and added swatches from souvenir jerseys and other clothing to make them look authentic. As Chris also said, many folks have taken to serial-numbering cards. Use your Beckett and check to see if these cards exist before you bid. Between pack searchers and people making fake cards and autographs I am going to lose my mind!

·
Card Pimp
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that would be 2 of us losing our mind...
ok here is what I know so far......
circleville ohio is home to
round_town_collectibles
he is the first person to really sucessfully alter a race used card...and put a different patch in it's place...which makes him very dangerous to our hobby...
he listed a Jr , Kenseth, and Tony Stewart 2007 Press Pass Premium firesuit cards...on seperate auctions...the Kenseth looked legit...the Jr looked real fishy and Stewart was an obvious fake...
it had flames on the suit ...and Tony doesn't have flames on any suits...
it took myself and Dale35me a few days to figure out where the suit pieces came from...they were hats that had been bought and cut into pieces...there is a 2005 stewart hat with flames...so this guy pulled the piece of material off of them and cut a hat up slapped in onto the card....the card is a real certified card with a fake patch....the Jr was not even the right type of material...it was the painters cap material with screen print...
recently a second seller from circleville ohio has put a Kurt Busch patch up for auction....
daija297
they may not know that the Kurt card has been altered...I got their contact info and not the same person as round_town_collectibles
however my biggest fear came true last week...
the jr managed to show up in the hands of a legitimate e-bay seller ...he had purchased the card off line...after several rather nasty e-mails back and forth the seller realized I wasn't the bad guy...
hopefully we will have seen the last of round_town_collectibles one of my friends had won his latest card altering he took a 1/18 or bigger model car decal and stuck on a Denny Hamlin sheetmetal...
he never sent the cards when he found out how close the guy lived to him...plus I sent him some pretty interesting e-mails...
the reason I am so adamant about protecting the integrity of the hobby is that I buy and sell on a regular basis to several high end collectors and I don't want there to ever be a question about the authenticity of any card in the market...

now for the easy part
the 1/1 guys are easy to spot
here are a few of the id's
hnsnjr

mart_markin

jr_customs
the above 3 are the same guy
he usualy makes race used and #'s them to the door # like 20/99 for Stewart...he has previously sold cards that he had taken and digitally enhanced to get more $$$ out of...
most recently he had a dutch auction that featured a picture of the 8/50 Jr 2006 four wide...he was using the picture to lure people into buying his auctions...he doesn't have the card ...and the card is a 2 color firesuit..he had taken a picture of one and doctored the # ...
he also sells the state quarter cards....
he uses the hnsnjr id to sell the really bad fake ones...like the Kahne checkered flag 1/3
which is actually what Press Pass # the real cards to....

most recently 2 new sellers have popped up with some really good looking fakes...I wish Press Pass would take notes from them....but they are in essence worthless...
dr.carzetas
he list em as custom
and the other

cujoda
he list em as home made
hope this isn't too confusing
and if you need pics I can get em to Chad...
and the reason you don't see me on much I have an all Nascar card site that I admin ...and have to keep it up to date...
but will try not to be a stranger...

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris. I think you may have missed your calling as a detective. Sadly, we are probably only scratching the surface as to what we will see next from these type of scumbags. It might not be a bad idea to keep an updated list on this site of those eBay sellers that are known for selling fake cards/autographs and trying to pass them off as real. As long as the seller labels them as "custom" or "homemade" I don't mind. I can deal with that. The sellers that cut up hats like Chris mentioned and purposely try to deceive collectors are the ones I'd like to see fry.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
My buddy bid on this one today before I got to warn him. As you can see he is new so I left it as valuable lesson learned. Read the fine print!!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
fishin4cars said:
My buddy bid on this one today before I got to warn him. As you can see he is new so I left it as valuable lesson learned. Read the fine print!!!!!

It could be worse, I think that is cool looking even though it is a fake.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Ohio29 said:
fishin4cars said:

It could be worse, I think that is cool looking even though it is a fake.
That's what I told him, He will actually have a 1/1 for his lesson learned. 1 card worth 1 quarter. no more no less. At least he didn't bid $3000+ for a 756 homerun wiffle ball!!!!!

·
Card Pimp
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my biggest fear isn't so much that people will get turned off to the hobby...
I am afraid the well made fakes will cause people not to want to pay for the authenic cards....
similar to the 1/24 scale die cast market...
when you try to sell an elite and someone complains about the price and says they can get that same car from WAL MART for fifteen dollars....
you can't win the argument with people that want something for nothing...
plus we no longer have a printed price guide...not that Beckett was great but at least it could have exposed the fakes...

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
outsk8u said:
my biggest fear isn't so much that people will get turned off to the hobby...
I am afraid the well made fakes will cause people not to want to pay for the authenic cards....
similar to the 1/24 scale die cast market...
when you try to sell an elite and someone complains about the price and says they can get that same car from WAL MART for fifteen dollars....
you can't win the argument with people that want something for nothing...
plus we no longer have a printed price guide...not that Beckett was great but at least it could have exposed the fakes...
I was told that Beckett will still be making an annual release. Hopefully someone out there can't get it a little more updated before it gets released since that is all that we are going to have to use as a guide for the following year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts