Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6819824

Two NASCAR legends are coming together for the first time in the Coca-Cola 600.

Bill Elliott, the 1988 Winston Cup champion, will drive the No. 21 Ford Fusion for the Wood Brothers next weekend at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Elliott, 51, returns to the track for the first time since Daytona. Elliott retired from full-time competition following the 2003 season. He ran 10 races last year for a variety of owners. His best finish was 16th at Kansas Speedway in the No. 37 Melling Dodge.

In 31 years of Cup racing, Elliott has scored 44 wins, 175 top-fives and 320 top 10s. Elliott has two wins, 11 top fives and 22 top 10s at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Elliott returns to Ford for the first time since 2000, when he sold his company to Ray Evernham, who switched to Dodge. Elliott's greatest success came from behind the wheel of Fords. Elliott won a career-best 11 races for Harry Melling in 1985.

The Wood Brothers are currently 39th in the owner standings and 163 points behind the 35th-place Hendrick Motorsports entry driven by Casey Mears.

Lee Spencer is a senior NASCAR writer for FOXSports.com. Talk racing with Lee at her NASCAR blog.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Way to go Wood Brothers! Way to buy yourself a spot in the field. Shame on Bill Elliott. He's not doing this to get wins, he's doing it for the $$$. He's no better than Roger Clemens. A hired gun.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Is it just me, or are all NASCAR fans today this damn negative. It doesen't matter who the driver is, or what the sanctioning body does. Somebody always says they are doing it for the wrong reason, or they are favoring somebody or something. Why all the negativity? Doesen't this bother anybody but me? Another reason I am thinking of giving up NASCAR and going back to drag racing and dirt racing. Less media coverage and less controversy and more just plain racing.

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you truly love NASCAR and the drivers you root for, don't let the negativity of people towards things they don't agree with run you off. If you truly love your drivers and your sport, you'll love them no matter what. I agree that there's always negative views on virtually everything that happens with NASCAR these days, but that's why the TCL is here, so that everyone can express their views and opinions. They won't always be the same as ours, but they always be allowed as long as they don't cross the line. Tater is quite positive when it comes to his drivers, so it's not like he's sitting at his keyboard waiting for something to pop up for him to gripe at. Now, there might be a few others around here who might be doing that....hahahahaha

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
FFighter_21 said:
Is it just me, or are all NASCAR fans today this damn negative. It doesen't matter who the driver is, or what the sanctioning body does. Somebody always says they are doing it for the wrong reason, or they are favoring somebody or something. Why all the negativity? Doesen't this bother anybody but me? Another reason I am thinking of giving up NASCAR and going back to drag racing and dirt racing. Less media coverage and less controversy and more just plain racing.
You were just criticizing Hamlin, so what are you to criticize me?

On your point, yeah, there is a lot of that. But, that's sports. NASCAR has finally reached that peak level (now that ESPN can benefit from NASCAR). It's broadcast all the time; radio, TV, internet, all over. I've chatted NASCAR with people who never used to watch or even care about the sport in the past year or so.

I love NASCAR. It's my goal to have my life in the NASCAR world. You can praise and be happy all you want, but if you want change, you have to be critical. I'm not one to bash every NASCAR decision... I don't believe they favor Hendrick (although their moves lately make it hard to defend myself there). But you have to admit that a lot of decisions that NASCAR makes are in its own financial interests and not for the 'sake of the sport or competition.'

But I VERY much question Bill Elliott's move here. Why is he taking this ride? It's not very competitive... at all. He's WAY past his prime and has been screwing around for past couple years. If you're going to retire, DO IT! Retire gracefully and walk away. I admire Rusty Wallace for doing what he did. He was fully capable of running a few more years and contending for wins, but he didn't. He walked away. I respect that. Bill Elliott needs to do the same. He's back only for the money and not to compete for wins.

I question the world I live in. What motives are out there and why decisions are made. I also live in the NASCAR world, so I will question decisions made there as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
taterracing said:
FFighter_21 said:
You were just criticizing Hamlin, so what are you to criticize me?

On your point, yeah, there is a lot of that. But, that's sports. NASCAR has finally reached that peak level (now that ESPN can benefit from NASCAR). It's broadcast all the time; radio, TV, internet, all over. I've chatted NASCAR with people who never used to watch or even care about the sport in the past year or so.

I love NASCAR. It's my goal to have my life in the NASCAR world. You can praise and be happy all you want, but if you want change, you have to be critical. I'm not one to bash every NASCAR decision... I don't believe they favor Hendrick (although their moves lately make it hard to defend myself there). But you have to admit that a lot of decisions that NASCAR makes are in its own financial interests and not for the 'sake of the sport or competition.'

But I VERY much question Bill Elliott's move here. Why is he taking this ride? It's not very competitive... at all. He's WAY past his prime and has been screwing around for past couple years. If you're going to retire, DO IT! Retire gracefully and walk away. I admire Rusty Wallace for doing what he did. He was fully capable of running a few more years and contending for wins, but he didn't. He walked away. I respect that. Bill Elliott needs to do the same. He's back only for the money and not to compete for wins.

I question the world I live in. What motives are out there and why decisions are made. I also live in the NASCAR world, so I will question decisions made there as well.
Back for the money? Please. First of all its the Wood Borthers yeah I'm sure with all though 25+ place finshes they have a lot of money to give Bill a hefty reward. So why did Bill take the ride? Hmmm, maybe because they asked. I mean the Wood Brothers need some help just take a look at this quote:

"I was pretty honored to get a call from the Wood Brothers to drive the 21 car. I’ve seen them struggle the last few weeks, being outside the top-35, and it breaks my heart to see them miss races. I hope I can get in the car, get us qualified well every week and see what we can make up in the points battle along the way. Eddie and Len and, in fact, Glen and Leonard, have always been very close and dear friends of mine and I’m very glad to be able to help them out.”

Its called charity my friend.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I guess I should have been more clear. I was not critisizing YOU persay, I just wonder ssome times why everyone is so critical of everything in NASCAR. It is a sport. While I believe that life imitates art, I also think perspective is important. There is not always an ulterior motive for things that happen. I can't understand the people who think that no matter what happens, they always spin it so it looks like someone has an agenda, or is looking to screw someone else.
My apologies if you thought I was aiming at you, I was just making a broad comment and apparantly wasn't clear enough.
I also agree everyone is entitled to their opinion, maybe I just see things through rose colored glasses. I prefer to take them at their face value and react accordingly. More often than not, they do not effect my personal life, as they do not, A...sleep w/me, or B....sign my paycheck, so it is merely (and I mean this in a serious way) entertainment for me although it is an very important part of my life.
I am critical about the war in Iraq, the excessive taxes I have to pay, and the fact that my body is betraying me, but not my mind as I get older, but as far as my racing goes, I try to use it as a positive and an escape to be enjoyed and if I get to critical of it, it becomes a chore just like the rest of my serious life parts.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I'm not going to get into this debate but I will say that no matter what the reasoning is I'm Glad to see Bill make a run in the #21. I still admire that want to race attitude on most of these veteran drivers. I would love to see a legend NASCAR race put on with as many of the veterans as possible!! Would like it even better to see them race true stock cars not these "I can't identify except by the front bumper" cars that are run today.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Great idea. Maybe an IROC type race for the elderstatesmen of NASCAR. Older styled cars, all identically prepared.
That would be really cool! :congrats:

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
That's not a bad idea either! I think it would be really cool and would probably draw a large crowd! Would be a neat thing to do for a fund raiser for Victory Junction Camp!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts