Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brett Moffitt Set For Sprint Cup Debut | National Speed Sport News
by NSSN Staff

Brett Moffitt will make his NASCAR Sprint Cup Series debut this weekend in the No. 66 Toyota for Jay Robinson Racing. (NASCAR Photo)
MONROE, N.C. – Jay Robinson Racing announced today Brett Moffitt will make his NASCAR Sprint Cup Series debut at Dover Int’l Speedway on June 1 driving the team’s No. 66 Toyota.
Moffitt, 21, of Grimes, Iowa is a nine-time winner in K&N Pro Series East competition and serves as a test driver for Toyota Racing Development (TRD) and Michael Waltrip Racing.
“Brett is a very young driver with a lot of experience for his age,” said team owner Jay Robinson. “If you ask around the garage, you will learn he’s one of the most respected young men in the sport who just hasn’t had a chance at a fulltime ride. We think he has a lot of talent and will show it at Dover.”
Moffitt finished ninth in his lone Nationwide Series start in August 2012 at Iowa Speedway. He finished 14th and 17th in 2013 Camping World Truck Series races at Kentucky and Michigan.
Moffitt said a Sprint Cup debut is something he began dreaming about as a child.
“I’m honored Jay asked me to drive his car at Dover,” said Moffitt. “The Monster Mile is a tough, but fun track and I can’t wait to get there. I won the 2009 & 2010 K&N East races at Dover so I think I’ll feel comfortable there, but Sprint Cup racing is a whole new world.
“I appreciate all support I have received from Jay Robinson, TRD and everyone at Michael Waltrip Racing for making this happen. My goals are to qualify well and learn all I can during the race.”
A partnership between MWR and Jay Robinson Racing allows the No. 66 to compete in all NASCAR Sprint Cup races with Joe Nemechek as the primary driver. Michael Waltrip raced the No. 66 at Daytona and Talladega while Jeff Burton raced in Las Vegas.

·
Landon Cassill #1 Fan
2,950 Posts
interesting news, wish he could just get a decent truck or NW ride

·
Closeted Logano Fan
23,969 Posts
If he was running with MWR equipment, he could get a good run, but since it's the Jay Robinson equipment, I'm not holding my breath.

·
58 wins, 4x champ in ARS
9,162 Posts
He's in one of the slowest rides in Cup. I really hope he can cope with the fact that he may be a backmarker and well off the pace.

·
Lurking in the Shadows
1,310 Posts
Who knows? Maybe Joe Nemechek has been holding back or lost his 'touch' look at what Bobby Labonte did in the 47 compared to what AJ does now, in less time.
Wish the kid luck.

·
Just CraZy
20,749 Posts
Watching Joe Nemechek and Blake Koch last weekend was painful to watch. I don't see Moffitt doing better than 36th at best.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
He's in one of the slowest rides in Cup. I really hope he can cope with the fact that he may be a backmarker and well off the pace.
its not the slowest car in cup when Michael and Jeff is in the Car only when Joe is

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I know it says Jay Robinson is fielding the ride, but I have to wonder if between Brett's affiliation with MWR for last few years, and the picture of a car in the MWR shop, might this car be a little more than the usual Jay Robinson #66? Not saying to expect anything big, but who knows.

When Brett drove the 99 for RAB racing a couple years ago in Nationwide, it seemed like the car might have had a little help from MWR. Who knows though.

·
Do people read these?
6,452 Posts
I know it says Jay Robinson is fielding the ride, but I have to wonder if between Brett's affiliation with MWR for last few years, and the picture of a car in the MWR shop, might this car be a little more than the usual Jay Robinson #66? Not saying to expect anything big, but who knows.

When Brett drove the 99 for RAB racing a couple years ago in Nationwide, it seemed like the car might have had a little help from MWR. Who knows though.
That's what I was thinking. Kind of like Brian Scott driving for Circle Sport but the car is prepared by RCR.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Exactly, or how NTS always seems to be much better when Austin Dillon is behind the wheel in trucks. (I'm an Austin fan, but I know theres more than driver difference going on there lol)

·
JEREMY MAYFIELD FAN FOREVER
13,197 Posts
Ok, I like Brett. He seems very nice. He seems talented as well. HOWEVER with that being said, I don't think someone with 2 truck races and 1 Nationwide race is ready for cup. But I do wish him luck.

·
#Champ18n
10,102 Posts
Even though he's in a terrible ride, I wish him all the best. Im curious thought how he's only made 2 CWTS starts and 1 NNS start and now he's debuting in Cup. Oh well, hopefully he does the best he can.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
He is low on experience but he did do a ton of testing, including the mini races versus Cup drivers for 2014 testing earlier this year, so he has raced against Cup drivers before. That said, he has alot to learn about 400 miles

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,241 Posts
I know he doesn't have much experience in the top 3 series but he does have 5 full years under his belt in the K&N East series with 9 wins and never finished lower than 3rd in the standings. He also finished 9th in his first and only Nationwide race. I wish this was a true MWR car just to see what he can do

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
He is low on experience but he did do a ton of testing, including the mini races versus Cup drivers for 2014 testing earlier this year, so he has raced against Cup drivers before. That said, he has alot to learn about 400 miles

400 Miles....and at Dover out of all places

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
Exactly, or how NTS always seems to be much better when Austin Dillon is behind the wheel in trucks. (I'm an Austin fan, but I know theres more than driver difference going on there lol)
Actually they are NTS trucks period, I just think he brings knowledge that their normal folks didn't. They have been testing a lot more lately too.

·
Jeff Fuller's Mustache
3,972 Posts
Shigeaki Hattori fielded a truck last year for Bret and his K&N East car. It'd be nice if he got some runs in Hattori's #80 Nationwide car this year.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts