Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
In It 2 Win It
12,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR on SPEED

BREAKING NEWS via Bristol Motor Speedway: "After more than a week of evaluating NASCAR fan comments on Bristol Motor Speedway’s track surface, Chairman Bruton Smith announces that changes will be made to the half-mile oval prior to the IRWIN Tools Night Race."

·
In It 2 Win It
12,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SMI Chairman Bruton Smith Announces Changes To Be Made To Bristol Motor Speedway Track Surface | Bristol News | News/Media | Bristol Motor Speedway

After more than a week of studying requested fan input, Bruton Smith, Chairman and CEO of Speedway Motorsports, today announced he has ordered the go-ahead to make changes to the track surface at Bristol Motor Speedway.
“The race fans have spoken,” Smith said. “We had input that included a wide range of opinions. But the majority we heard from said they wanted to see changes made. As a result, I have ordered the equipment and work will begin within the next two weeks to allow time to have everything ready for August.”
Smith said an announcement regarding the scope of the work will be made soon.
“The question we wanted to answer as quickly as possible was ‘Is something going to be done?’ Smith said. “The answer to that is ‘yes.’ We will have the details in two weeks as to what that ‘something’ is.
“Bristol Motor Speedway has been voted the most popular race track in the country more than a half-dozen times, even one of the 10 things you need to see before you die. We aim to keep the status as the fans’ favorite.”
Tickets are on sale now for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series IRWIN Tools Night Race (August 25), as well as the Nationwide Series Food City 250 (August 24) and Wednesday night doubleheader featuring the Camping World Truck Series and Whelen Modified races (August 22). For tickets, call toll-free 1.866.415.4158 or 423.989.6900. Tickets also may be purchased online.
Related Articles
03/28/12SMI Chairman Bruton Smith Announces Changes To Be Made To Bristol Motor Speedway Track Surface03/20/12Share your thoughts on Bristol's track surface03/18/12Keselowski Racks Up Another BMS Victory at Food City 50003/18/12Song Selections Run the Gamut During Food City 500 Driver Intros03/18/12Kellie Pickler Concert cancelled due to weather; Green Flag for Food City 500 on schedule03/17/12Brazilian Piquet Jr. Claims Widow Wax 125; Becomes First Foreign-Born Driver to Win at BMS
Foot

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Honestly, I would find it hilarious if they spent the money to change the track back to the way it was pre-2007, and the racing doesn't change. New car, better tires etc all play a part in how the racing goes. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Getting tickets next week for the night race though :)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
maybe it's just that the fact that i started watching nascar halfway through the 2006 chase and first race i ever saw at bristol was the cot debut race, but i've never seen anything wrong with the raceing there. any old races i've watching there are wreckfests. i would rather see 500 side-by-side green flag laps than 80-120 caution laps and lots of "bump and runs".

·
#BadMofo
15,981 Posts
I can see it now.

"We've installed new food vendors around the track for fan enjoyment"

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
maybe it's just that the fact that i started watching nascar halfway through the 2006 chase and first race i ever saw at bristol was the cot debut race, but i've never seen anything wrong with the raceing there. any old races i've watching there are wreckfests. i would rather see 500 side-by-side green flag laps than 80-120 caution laps and lots of "bump and runs".
First race I ever seen there as well was the COT debut. Have never seen a problem with the racing there in the past 5 years

Maybe if they bring in some Martinsville hot dogs :yes:
Personally not a fan of the Martinsville hot dogs

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
BAM! this!

...amazing...good luck with the repave...won't increase ticket sales significantly, won't make racing 'better'...when I want to see wrecks I take the kids to the county fair demolition derby...when I go to see racing I think of NASCAR...fail apparently...glad they made their decision based on cyber voting...God knows that had to be legit...

·
Look Who's Back!!
2,265 Posts
I can see it now.

"We've installed new food vendors around the track for fan enjoyment"

I wish. The handful of vendors they do have suck!

·
#JRNation
4,661 Posts
and again it would be funny if Brad K. Won AGAIN... LOL

1st. He wins and they change timing lines.
2nd he wins again and now they are changing the track...

What happens if he wins again? LOL

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
This is beyond stupid. It's not going to improve anything, if you ask me. It's not just going to "sell out" because it's a new track. It's stupid and a waste of freaking money.

"Good Racing": Has nothing to do with the track. It's the car and the tires, very little about the track. You are about to invest millions(?) into re-doing/changing this track and you have no proof that it'll change anything."

"Sell Outs": Has nothing to do with the track. I don't care how many times someone jumps up and down to scream "ITS NOT ABOUT MOENY!". It is. Don't belive me? Go to Hotels.com and look at hotel prices for the night race at Bristol. The cheapest hotel (8/22-8/26) is: $187 Super 8 with a 3.4 rating. Change the dates to 8/29-9/2 and that hotel drops to an avg. nightly rate of $54. Dont' say it has nothing to do with money.. it has everything to do with it.

If these track promototers, NASCAR, drivers, teams whomever want rear-ends in seats.. they need to talk to these hotels and work something out to stop (no better word) raping their fans. When the television networks are changing hotels for their guys because of prices.. you know something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
This is beyond stupid. It's not going to improve anything, if you ask me. It's not just going to "sell out" because it's a new track. It's stupid and a waste of freaking money.

"Good Racing": Has nothing to do with the track. It's the car and the tires, very little about the track. You are about to invest millions(?) into re-doing/changing this track and you have no proof that it'll change anything."

"Sell Outs": Has nothing to do with the track. I don't care how many times someone jumps up and down to scream "ITS NOT ABOUT MOENY!". It is. Don't belive me? Go to Hotels.com and look at hotel prices for the night race at Bristol. The cheapest hotel (8/22-8/26) is: $187 Super 8 with a 3.4 rating. Change the dates to 8/29-9/2 and that hotel drops to an avg. nightly rate of $54. Dont' say it has nothing to do with money.. it has everything to do with it.

If these track promototers, NASCAR, drivers, teams whomever want rear-ends in seats.. they need to talk to these hotels and work something out to stop (no better word) raping their fans. When the television networks are changing hotels for their guys because of prices.. you know something is wrong.
Couldn't agree more about the racing and money issues. I'm sure the racing will change some, but it will never be the same unless NASCAR goes back to the old style cars and tires etc. As for hotels, whenever my wife and I go, we stay in Princeton, W.Va, a two hour drive away, because we can get GOOD rooms there for $80 a night, not the run down $187 a night places.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

·
Dboy1974
1,332 Posts
Yeah, we looked into rooms before we went to the track. The cheapest that was found was $200 a night with a 2 night minimum. That's outrageous! $400 for the weekend... we just decided to drive back and forth, 2 hour drive one way... that was cheaper but time consuming. I really believe if the rooms are cheaper, fans would stick around the track longer during the days... more money for the vendors as well. I know that we would have stuck around longer for the evening events.

·
The Busch Wacker
9,093 Posts
and again it would be funny if Brad K. Won AGAIN... LOL

1st. He wins and they change timing lines.
2nd he wins again and now they are changing the track...

What happens if he wins again? LOL

2013- they change the car! pahaha

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts

agree with changing the track not fixing anything. It does have some impact and to me made RACING possible...but the car and tire combination is the biggest factor on the race itself...the crowd is a money grab and the economy plain and simple...that and people simply can't horde tickets like they used to so many of those seats go unused.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
You forgot to mention gas at $4-$5 a gallon!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
I'm fairly neutral on this. But if this is what Bruton thinks will bring the fans back to the track, then, why not? Stupid timing, in my opinion. But what's a few million to a multi-billionaire?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts