Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burton Lands Charlotte Nationwide Seat | National Speed Sport News
by NSSN Staff

Jeb Burton will drive the No. 98 Ford Mustang during the upcoming NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. (NASCAR Photo)
NAPA, Calif. – Biagi-DenBeste Racing will have two new names on track for the May 24 History 300 at Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway – rising-star driver Jeb Burton and new partner Kendall-Jackson AVANT wines.
The event will be Burton’s second in a NASCAR Nationwide Series car and his first in 2014. He will drive the No. 98 Kendall-Jackson AVANT Ford in a first-time partnership between Biagi-DenBeste and the California winery.
The 21-year-old driver is the son of former NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Ward Burton and nephew of Sprint Cup driver Jeff Burton. Burton has already made his own name for himself, finishing fifth in the 2013 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series standings while capturing his first NASCAR win and seven pole positions over the course of the season. He has one previous Nationwide Series start, an eighth-place finish at Kentucky Speedway last September.
“I’m thankful to Fred, Bill, Lori and everybody for the opportunity to come drive the No. 98 car,” said Burton. “I think the racing in the Nationwide Series is really good right now, and I’m excited to be a part of it. I’m also looking forward to working with Kendall-Jackson, bringing a new sponsor into the sport and having a good run for them.”
“We’re thrilled to have both Jeb Burton and Kendall-Jackson AVANT with us for the first time,” said team co-owner Fred Biagi. “Jeb has impressed at every level he’s raced, and we’re excited to put that talent behind the wheel of our Ford Mustang. And with a name like Kendall-Jackson on the car, that car is going to turn some heads.”
“As part of the launch for our newest line of wines, Kendall-Jackson AVANT, we’re excited to partner with Jeb Burton for this race,” said John Maxwell, vice president of Marketing, Kendall-Jackson. “NASCAR is a beloved sport for many Americans and we’re looking forward to building awareness with NASCAR racing fans and followers.”

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Beggers cant be choosers.
Very true. Its not like people beat down his door after he lost his TSM ride. Its just a shame seeing the direction his career is going. Its a gut feeling, but I see him in a cup ride at a place like BK or Front Row in the future. Oh well....I hope I'm wrong.

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am wondering if there is more to the story.Jeb was supposedly a hot commodity at TSM.If so TSM would of run him for a season unfunded unless Turner just was totally totally over exteneded.His own son in law jumped ship with one of there sponsors.

If Jeb was easy to get along with and marketable you would of thought Thor Sport would of signed Jeb.To me there is more to this story than what meets the eye.A talented driver is let go by one team.Picked up by another team and cant catch on.Maybe he has horrible luck.I dont know.But as the old saying goes you make your own luck.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
I am wondering if there is more to the story.Jeb was supposedly a hot commodity at TSM.If so TSM would of run him for a season unfunded unless Turner just was totally totally over exteneded.His own son in law jumped ship with one of there sponsors.

If Jeb was easy to get along with and marketable you would of thought Thor Sport would of signed Jeb.To me there is more to this story than what meets the eye.A talented driver is let go by one team.Picked up by another team and cant catch on.Maybe he has horrible luck.I dont know.But as the old saying goes you make your own luck.
Ron in the near future ThorSport is going to announce Jeb's sponsor for the remainder of the truck season, that is Jeb will run the whole truck season this year and has acquired full sponsorship. And Jeb has a one year contract to compete in the full truck series for ThorSport and to run select ARCA events at the team's discretion. Jeb hasn't been released from ThorSport, it seems as though you are under the impression he was.
The reason Jeb couldn't run a season unsponsored at Turner-Scott is because some of the other teams at TSM don't have much funding, although the teams are sponsored for most of the races, the deals aren't for as much money as the team would like, if that makes sense.

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@mwinters Thats good for Jeb.Get out of the 98 car and let Kevin have the car back.

I wish teams would put out press releases we have all intentions of keeping blah blah driver and are working hard on securing sponsorship.Instead of one race deals which make it sound like the driver is just filling in as long as they have money.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
@mwinters Thats good for Jeb.Get out of the 98 car and let Kevin have the car back.
The reason Jeb is in the car is sponsor related, this particular sponsor wanted Jeb in the car, since the #98 didn't have any other sponsors lined up for this race, it made sense for the team to run the car with Jeb and with a sponsor than with Kevin or another driver unsponsored. Kevin probably would have ran the car if the Carroll Shelby Engine Company or another company would have sponsored him for this race.

If you were Biagi, would you rather run Jeb with full sponsorship for the race or run Kevin out of your own pocket?

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,241 Posts
He did great with TSM, just hasn't had a good year this year. TSM is a good team to start out with, but it seems like drivers who 'graduated' from there haven't gone on to do much
The season is 3 races old, how can you already say he hasn't had a good year? He finished 7th in Daytona, had some issues at M'ville and finished 21st, but finished 6th in Kansas.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Hopefully now that Burton has a full time sponsor lined up his team can improve more. The 3rd Thorsport truck has been more or less the "test" truck in the past. The 88 is in another league and the 98 isn't too shabby either.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Jeb is 7th in points right now, and your calling that a bad year so far? He will most likely be top 5 in points when the year is over, 7th or 8th at worst.
The season is 3 races old, how can you already say he hasn't had a good year? He finished 7th in Daytona, had some issues at M'ville and finished 21st, but finished 6th in Kansas.
My bad, for some reason I was thinking he crashed in 2 of them. Don't know why I thought that

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
Has Kevin been in the 98 at all yet this year? I'm pretty sure as of the Jan. they where seeking sponsorship. He's had some good races in that car as well as the race at Dover in Rousch's car till the boneheaded move.... Goes to show how tough it is out there..

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
Has Kevin been in the 98 at all yet this year? I'm pretty sure as of the Jan. they where seeking sponsorship. He's had some good races in that car as well as the race at Dover in Rousch's car till the boneheaded move.... Goes to show how tough it is out there..
I'm not sure but Ragan tends to run their plate tracks.

I'm not sure why Jeb seems to not get the love but I like they he is at ThorSport. Turner seems to be in trouble this year in terms of being the top dogs and seems they are hunting for any sponsors they can get.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Nice to see him get a ride. I think he's proven himself enough to be in better equipment but it's better than sitting at home

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
Glad to see him get a ride in NW. I wish it was with a better team but at least it's not start and park.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts