Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody... Got this tire from a friend of a friend and looking to see if anyone can tell from the markings - how old it is, whose car it may have been on, etc.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am assuming g it may be from a car no. 10. Curious if anyone knows who or how old it may be. The markings must mean something. Thanks!

·
CraZyGordoManiac
1,351 Posts
Well from what I've found, the GOODYEAR #1 tires were used from '93(when they also switched to yellow lettering) to '04. More than likely it's a tire from the late 90's, early '00s. Probably what you have is a Johnny Benson tire.

Reactions: ffgo24

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
Obviously the LR means Left Rear.... Although the 10 could be the car number, it could also be a code the team used for tire pressure.... Lets remember most of the Wheels have the car numbers stamped on them already... I wonder whats up with the highlighted 2 the most.... Sure seems like a lot of wasted time for a crew member on a race weekend

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Thanks for the info! Didn't know if the codes stamped on the tire meant anything. Like the d6352 for example.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obviously the LR means Left Rear.... Although the 10 could be the car number, it could also be a code the team used for tire pressure.... Lets remember most of the Wheels have the car numbers stamped on them already... I wonder whats up with the highlighted 2 the most.... Sure seems like a lot of wasted time for a crew member on a race weekend
good point on the "10". Didn't think of that. Yes, the highlighting of the 2 was quite curious as well. Maybe a bored crew member during a rain delay :)

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
good point on the "10". Didn't think of that. Yes, the highlighting of the 2 was quite curious as well. Maybe a bored crew member during a rain delay :)
If it made it to the track it was only scuffed, quite a few nipples on it yet too. as well as all the markings being very fresh.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
The "10" is what set of tires it's from, so this tire was a left rear from the 10th set.. The# stamped into the rubber starting with the letter D is the compound makeup of the tire... They use different compounds on the left side & right side of the car & also different compounds at different tracks..

·
Living the racing life.
280 Posts
The date code on the tire looks like it's from March of 2002...

·
CraZyGordoManiac
1,351 Posts
Here's a weird little tidbit: I might have been able to connect the tire to what team it's from simply by that outlined #2 on it. I was looking up cars from 2003 when a JPM car from '07 popped in Google search. Note the numbers on the tires lol I would suffice to say that the tire might be from Ganassi '02.

·
AKA Leadfoot
125,713 Posts
Here's a weird little tidbit: I might have been able to connect the tire to what team it's from simply by that outlined #2 on it. I was looking up cars from 2003 when a JPM car from '07 popped in Google search. Note the numbers on the tires lol I would suffice to say that the tire might be from Ganassi '02.

Nice work on finding the info on the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
To add to what I said earlier about how the DXXX# tells what the tire compound is....... It may also tell what batch they're from. Teams try to match up the #'s when putting a set together to get what they call a "good set" of tires...
The highlighted or outlined # I believe is done by the guys from Goodyear who mount the tires to the teams rims....I'm not sure about that though, so I'm going to use a lifeline & phone a friend....lol. I'll report back tomorrow.... :)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
The 06/02 date code indicates the tire was built in the 6th week of 2002. At that time, Benson was the driver. Chances are you have the LR off Johnnys #10

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! Just wow. You guys here rock. Can't believe the amount of info, @Nascar24 the odds of finding that pic with the outlined 2... Unreal! Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Talked to a friend today who knows everything there is to know about NASCAR tires & the meaning of all those marks.... He asked me to forward your tire pics to his email & said when he gets a chance he'll take a look & let me know more, so stay tuned........

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
@ffgo24.... Can you take a clear pic of the all black area between the word Eagle & Goodyear....In that area there should be some crayon markings that might be faded out that will tell you what team it came from...Example LS31, which would mean left side 31 team....RS 31 would obviously be right side 31 team. ..also if you could send a pic of the bar code # ? That will help my guy to identify which race it may have come from....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts