Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Busch Wacker
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bruton Smith considering changes to Bristol Motor Speedway: Bristol Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith is considering about $1 million worth of changes to return his Tennessee track to the way it was before a 2007 reconfiguration. "We are going to take a very hard look at it this week," Smith told The Associated Press on Monday. "We have everything in our computers that shows us what the track used to be and what it is now, and we started working on that last night. I'll have an answer for you next week on if we'll alter the track." But Smith insisted it was the rain, not fan apathy over the current style of racing at Bristol, that contributed to Sunday's poor crowd. "We certainly thought it was going to be better, but the rain got us," Smith said. Bristol once was one of the toughest tickets in all of professional sports, but attendance has waned the past several years and its spring race has particularly suffered. The speedway says it seats 160,000, and although the grandstands appeared half empty Sunday, NASCAR's listed attendance was 102,000. Smith said 8,120 sold tickets went unused. But he remained adamant the attendance decline has nothing to do with the new racing at Bristol. At the same time, though, Smith said he began talking to his Speedway Motorsports Inc. officials on Sunday evening about changes to the track. Smith said SMI will study fan comments this week. "I want to be sure that the fans like what they see," he said. "If the fans like three abreast through the turns, we do nothing. If they don't, then we'll alter the track. The fans vote is the most important thing." If changes are made, they'll be done in time for NASCAR's Aug. 25 return to Bristol.(more at the Associated Press)(3-20-2012)

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Stupid. Anyone bitching about Bristol isnt a race fan. That race was FANTASTIC. NASCAR fans are idiots.

Sorry Bob, but I guess I must be stupid & an idiot. That was one of the most boring races I have ever watched at Bristol Sunday. I have had season tickets since 2000 and ever since the reconfiguration the attendance has dropped each year. I actually sold my Spring tickets to someone this year because I had had enough. I haven't decided yet if I will attend the Fall Night race yet or if I will even renew my tickets for next year.

If something isn't done soon, you could possibly see the Spring race moved to one of Bruton's other tracks. Bruton's a pretty smart person, although trying to blame it on the weather is a stretch. The fans are showing by their lack of attendance they aren't happy with the product on the track. I hope he blows up this configuration and goes back to the old one.

This is just the opinion of what you say is a stupid, non race fan, NASCAR idiot. Fortunetely I have been watching and attending NASCAR races long before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye.

·
Joey Logano Fan
331 Posts
I wasn't big into NASCAR when the old style track was around so dont recall what was different. I heard the announcers talking about how it was mostly single file racing and little passing before.
I would think it would make for a more exciting race with a wider track and ability to pass more.
Other then the one wreck early on it was a clean race.

Can you ellaberate on what made the older track more exciting.
Just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
I wasn't big into NASCAR when the old style track was around so dont recall what was different. I heard the announcers talking about how it was mostly single file racing and little passing before.
I would think it would make for a more exciting race with a wider track and ability to pass more.
Other then the one wreck early on it was a clean race.

Can you ellaberate on what made the older track more exciting.
Just curious.
Before the reconfiguration, you had to have a car that could hug the bottom in the turns and as you would exit the turn you would move up to the wall. You could run side by side on the straight aways but you needed to be in the bottom groove in the turns. If you were up on top in the turns you would get passed and as you would exit the turn someone would probably do a slide job in front of you to get position.

Passing someone was hard and at times you had to use the ole chrome horn (bump & run) if someone was holding you up. Yes there were wrecks and a lot of cautions but there was also some great side by side, beatin and bangin going on. It was a lot like the Superspeedways in a sense because you always knew there was the possibility of the Big One.

The biggest thing about it was it was so different from all the other 21 tracks that the Sprint Cup series runs at. At the end of the race if you didn't have a least a little damage or a tire rub on your car you probably were so far back in the pack you had no chance of winning. Nowadays cars race side by side 2 wide, there is very little action or passing, occasional beatin and banging and unless someone has mechanical failure very few cautions....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts