Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
It's just not going to be the same seeing Jr. on the track without Budwieser. :shame: If he isn't going to be sponsored by Budwieser then I hope he doesn't carry the #8 either. Time to start with a clean slate! :Cream:

·
Registered
126 Posts
So much for the "budboy" title. Maybe Jr fans will like the fact they will get more paint schemes and no more youth versions since they are cutting ties with Bud. If it does happen with Pepsi, look out for the Gordon / Jr Boxing commercials. They will play that rivalry up to death!!

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
How long ago did Hendricks say there was no room at the inn for Jr.? Now there's no room at the inn for a nice cool Bud? Money talks, bullshit walks...

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
kspool said:
How long ago did Hendricks say there was no room at the inn for Jr.? Now there's no room at the inn for a nice cool Bud? Money talks, bullshit walks...
You forgot that Carquest and Kelloggs are signed with Hendrick Motorsports through 2009. I can't recall a time when any team booted out a sponsor in the middle of a contract. Usually it's the sponsor who pulls out for lack of performance. Well I guess you could use the Bill Davis Vs. Dodge as an example. After Davis went to Toyota in the Truck Series he got sued by Dodge for violating a contract. Rick Hendrick is a smart businessman and I would be willing to bet he would get sued if he decided to pull out of the contract with Carquest and Kelloggs.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Very true, it will be very interesting to see how it all shakes down with the sponsor situations. I'm sure it would be difficult to try and get Carquest and Kelloggs knocked down to being the 2nd primary sponsor on one of the other cars when they are both used to sharing the spotlight on 1 car.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
True, and Hendrick can demand so much more money for Dale Jr. So it's logical to think they could dump the National Guard, send Kelloggs and Carquest to Mears and get the big bucks from Pepsi Co. for Dale Jr.

·
Registered
209 Posts
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7021352

Junior will move on without Budweiser

Lee Spencer
FOXSports.com

JOLIET, Ill. - It was all Junior all the time before qualifying started Friday.

No, Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not exercise his personal services contract with Budweiser next year. But it was one heck of a party while it lasted.
"I would have loved to continue working with Bud, but under the circumstances, that's not a possibility," Earhardt said. "We'll have to change our frame of mind and see what the opportunities are for our primary sponsors for next year."

Read between the lines: With Mountain Dew coming on board, there's only room for one beverage sponsor. Bud may mix well with chips, dips and peanuts. Bud and the National Guard are like oil and water.

However, the driver's love affair with Bud is not completely over.

"You don't have to pay me to drink the beer," Earnhardt said. "It's good beer and I'll always drink it."

Read between the lines: Still the official brew of Dirty Mo' Acres. Send kegs.

Junior would still love to drive the No. 8 in the future — and NASCAR stepping in several weeks ago vocalizing its control of the numbers pretty much guarantees that will happen.

"I would still like to be No. 8, but that's between the owners and obviously NASCAR," Earnhardt said. "I don't have any influence, I reckon."

Read between the lines: Along with the No. 8 Mountain Dew/National Guard Chevy making laps next year will be his teammate Casey Mears in the No. 5 Kellogg's Chevy, saying everything is "Grreat!"

Certainly, someone has the super secret Junior Master Plan that contains when his new sponsor's born-on date will be revealed.

"I don't know anything about timelines and stuff," Earnhardt said. "They'll tell me whenever it's time. Whenever it happens, it happens. I'm anxious to be finished. We've got a lot of season left. And it's really easy for me to concentrate on the Bud car. It's a piece of cake, but I'm anxious to see car designs, to see suit designs, to see apparel and what the fans will be wearing and purchasing."

Read between the lines: While management continues to string everyone along and sell merchandise, Junior would like to get back to racing — long before the Chase field is decided.

With Bass Pro Shop recently signing a three-year extension, DEI teammate Martin Truex Jr., has none of the distractions that are interfering with the No. 8 car's progress. Truex qualified on the front row for Sunday's USG Sheetrock 400 alongside polesitter Mears, whose career also seems to be taking off.

As wonderful as it would be to write about the sponsor of the week, Earnhardt Nation would rather read about Junior's next victory. The No. 8 car qualified fifth on Friday. Sunday would be a good place to start.

The buzz

What does the Chrysler sell-off from DaimlerChrysler mean for the Dodge sponsorship of the Nos. 9 and 19? Good question. Apparently, neither Dodge nor its dealers want to dump $30 million from its marketing budget into racing. No wonder Ray Evernham is every bit as interested in Budweiser as all the other potential suitors in the garage. But what about retaining the manufacturer? General Motors principals, for one, have not spoke with Evernham. As for Ford, given the Kasey Kahne divorce from the blue oval, that would not be an option either.

Speaking of GM, none of the four key partners — Hendrick Motorsports, Richard Childress Racing, Dale Earnhardt Inc. or Joe Gibbs Racing has signed contract extensions. While the former three have every intention of remaining with the bow-tie brigade, Gibbs is still hoping for a sweeter deal. Whether that's with Chevrolet or Toyota remains to be seen.advertisement

Shout out to John Andretti. Everyone expects Chevrolet to spank the field in time trials and Ryan Newman is always a Friday factor, but in just his fifth start of the season, Andretti qualified the No. 45 Petty Enterprises Dodge ninth — the car's best start of the season.

Matt Kenseth, who has carried Ford on his back all season, was the only Fusion to crack the top 10 in qualifying. Kenseth and Bill Elliott, driving for the Wood Brothers, were the only Fords in the top 20.

The return of Bobby Kennedy continues to pay dividends for Michael Waltrip, who made his fourth race of the year. MWR teammate Dale Jarrett and both Red Bull racers will start their vacations early.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't find the article, but somewhere I read the real reason Bud didnt follow Junior to Hendrick is because of bad blood between Bud and Hendrick when it sponsored the #25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
It could be true about the Hendrick / Bud Bad Blood.
ESPN said it was shopping the Bud sponsorship for next year on the radio today, I would expect they are going to need a big name for that sponsorship.
I would love to see the 8 follow Jr., but I also want Jr. to be able to drive it later in his career if he wants to. I don't care what # he drives in he will always be my favorite!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts