Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
JG#24 CE#24 BK#2 KB#41 KL#42
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching sports center and they showed a highlight of the nascar race and they showed her get lapped three times and just showed Elliot do a burn out. ESPN is just making a whole big thing out her way too much. Why is this a story? Who the eff cares who took 21st? She didn't wreck this week. Woo hooo....

·
Somewhere Far Beyond...
2,377 Posts
Eh. She's gonna get special coverage, just the way it is. At least they are paying attention to NASCAR.

·
Out and about
2,699 Posts
That's probably what you can expect out of her this year. Does 21st merit special attention? Of course not, but it's Danica, so they will follow her every move. For this year, at least. If the plan is for her to go full time Cup next year, the learning curve needs to go up quickly so she can save herself from being a total embarrassment next year. She really needs two full years of Nationwide, in my opinion.

For all the people that think Danica is good for the sport (long term), she needs to get better, and fast. The bandwagoners will jump off quickly if this is what happens all year long.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i thought it was great when the guys in the booth were slamming her pre-race.

(mainly Brad:whistle:)

You know he seems to have the best in-sight on the NASCAR on ESPN crew. That is kind of embarassing since he's really just a super fan and not one of the real analysists.

·
In It 2 Win It
12,031 Posts
I think the media is one of the resons I will never be a fan of her. Too much coverage for someone that has not acomplished that much.

·
Gordon to Blaney
5,574 Posts
I just hate it when on the ESPN BottomLine it will say "Elliott Sadler wins NASCAR Nationwide Series at Phoenix. Danica Patrick finishes 21st."

It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
549 Posts
She had some good runs last year. I expected a little better than what I saw yesterday. I think they quoted the crew chief on expecting 8-14th. That was about where I thought as well.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
I know that Danica is bringing in some fans to NASCAR. I'm sure there will be stories saying that the numbers are big, but I'll dispute that. But she is bringing in fans. However, all the attention she gets just turns me off. ESPN has done a better job at not focusing on her as much. Anyone else remember her first few Nationwide races? They had a camera dedicated to her that ran picture-in-picture with the real racing. That was well over the line and I stopped watching Nationwide races for a while after that.

It's not Danica so much (though she can be a whiny, pouty, blame-everyone-else, foul-mouth b-word), it's the media focus. I felt the same about Tiger Woods. I didn't cheer for him while everyone else did, simply because of the attention he got. Although his attention was because of winning...

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
(mainly Brad:whistle:)

You know he seems to have the best in-sight on the NASCAR on ESPN crew. That is kind of embarassing since he's really just a super fan and not one of the real analysists.
I think a part owner in a NASCAR team qualifies as more than just a super fan.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
The NASCAR Danica Patrick Series. "Even if you win the race, I'll still get more attention than you."
Andretti put it best when he said NASCAR will find out what open wheel went through via the danica affect..essentially meaning the sport becomes more about a mediocre at best female than the race...which in the end as many have said is NOT good for the long term health of it...fans are fans but this constant microscope of her lack of ability is not good down the road...worse yet...when they get forced into a corner and catch her on tv being the bitch she is away from a godaddy plug...even the 'fans' will thumb their nose at her..she's a real piece of work when nobody is watching...I'm telling you...the real ice queen will show herself...as if her profanity laced rant during a daytona crash didn't already open some eyes...

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
I know that Danica is bringing in some fans to NASCAR. I'm sure there will be stories saying that the numbers are big, but I'll dispute that. But she is bringing in fans. However, all the attention she gets just turns me off. ESPN has done a better job at not focusing on her as much. Anyone else remember her first few Nationwide races? They had a camera dedicated to her that ran picture-in-picture with the real racing. That was well over the line and I stopped watching Nationwide races for a while after that.

It's not Danica so much (though she can be a whiny, pouty, blame-everyone-else, foul-mouth b-word), it's the media focus. I felt the same about Tiger Woods. I didn't cheer for him while everyone else did, simply because of the attention he got. Although his attention was because of winning...
spot on as you typically are...couldn't have said it better myself man.

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
It's not really different than any of the last several years as far as media coverage on an individual, especially when they do nothing. Only difference this year is that it's Danica and not Dale Jr. She's too overhyped, but I'm thankful for a change in overratedness. Hell, I might actually crack a smile now if and when Dale pulls one into Victory Lane.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
I'm glad NASCAR is getting attention but I 'm way over Danica Mania. They just need to let her race & focus on getting much better finishes than 21st. She has a long way to go in the sport. End all the HYPE & give it a rest. Look what her old Indy team owner Mike A. said yesterday she is a series killer. That is sad. Just my opinion!!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
I'll add one more thing, all the attention isn't really fair to her. How many much more accomplished IndyCar drivers have come to NASCAR and have essentially failed? Hornish, Fittipaldi, Carpentier, Franchitti and Speed from F1. You could argue that Juan Pablo Montoya has been quite disappointing considering his success in open wheel.

She just needs to sit back and learn each week and not really be concerned about finishes. But it's hard when you have a camera on you when you're getting in the car, while driving and when getting out of the car. Her constant 'GoDaddy' commercials don't help, also the FHM (or whatever) bikini shots also don't help get her the right kind of attention. But, I guess it enables her to be with a successful team.

ESPN has to sell ads for its Nationwide Series coverage. God knows that it's coverage alone won't do it. So Danica is the golden goose. And when she finally wins on pit strategy, she'll be proclaimed the greatest driver of all time by SportsCenter. Hooray for that day...

·
Banned
17,329 Posts
I think the media is one of the resons I will never be a fan of her. Too much coverage for someone that has not acomplished that much.
jr has taught her well

1 - 20 of 47 Posts