Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you think of the Daytona 500, you think of history. There's a LOT of it around the race, the most important race in NASCAR. Some major moments of NASCAR history have come in the Daytona 500- yet not as many of the possible 53 race winners are available in scale as may seem obvious. Only 35 of them have been made to date. In fact, what is arguably the most important race in NASCAR history- certainly the most replayed clip- none of the cars key to the 1979 Daytona 500 are available- the fight cars of Bobby and Donnie Allison, and Cale Yarborough, or even the car Richard Petty won the race in are available. In fact, the only car available that even started the race is Darrell Waltrip's #88 Gatorade Monte Carlo, which finished second.

Amazingly, the first race, won by Lee Petty, has several of it's entries produced in scale- but not Petty's, or even Johnny Beachamp's, so integral to the photo finish!

The first winner to be produced in scale is Fireball Roberts' 1962 Pontiac Catalina, owned and operated by the legendary Smokey Yunick. Fireball was a Daytona Native, and lost on several previous races though no fault of his own. Yunick was the first owner to win back to back races, as Marvin Panch took the 1961 race in a year old Pontiac...something they were not happy about, as it was the secondary car, to Roberts, who was in a brand new 61 Pontiac. He led 144 of the 200 laps, and he also took the pole. He was unstoppable! He also won his Qualifying Race and the Firecracker 250 that year. He didn't lose a race at Daytona in 1962! RCCA produced his Pontiac in the closing stages of their Legends series of 1992.

1963's Daytona 500 is one of those stories that makes you just feel good. Marvin Panch had been the Wood Brothers' driver, but was seriously injured practicing a Maserati Birdcage at Daytona during Speedweeks. Several bystanders rushed to the upside down burning car and pulled him out- one of them was DeWayne "Tiny" Lund- who was 6 foot 3 and 250+ pounds- and he was given the ride in the Wood Brothers' already famed #21 Ford, legend has it at Panch's insistance. Tiny drove on to the win- running the entire race on one set of tires, no less! Unheard of, and the only time it ever happened in the Daytona 500. RCCA strikes again, making Lund's car in 1992. It was the first car they did in the Legends line, although it may not have been the first issued. I know for a fact it was the first car they worked on- the 63 Fords in the series were actually based off a plastic model built by Jerry Sims, who also wrote the info cards that came with most of the RCCA Legends. I was proud to call him a friend for the final 10 years of his life.

Richard Petty scored his first of a record 7 Daytona 500s in 1964, driving a new Plymouth Belvedere. Racing Champions created the tooling in 1993, but didn't use it until 1999, when a 50 car set honoring the Petty's 50th Year in NASCAR was produced. Petty would, of course, win 6 more, 3 more than than his closest competitor.

Fred Lorenzen won the rain-shortened 1965 race as only 333 of the 500 miles were completed. It would be the first of two Daytona 500 victories for the legendary Holman-Moody team. RCCA's Legends line provides another in the list.

Mario Andretti scored his only NASCAR victory in the 1967 Daytona 500, also in a Holman-Moody car. It was the first major victory for Andretti, who would go on to a legendary career in open wheel competition. Johnny Lightning makes it's first appearence on this list, possesing the only Ford Fairlane NASCAR tooling.

1969 saw LeeRoy Yarbrough score the win in Junior Johnson's #98 Ford. Yarbrough won the "Triple Crown" that year, what would eventually be restructured into the Winston Million. Racing Champions produced his car in their Legends line.

Pete Hamilton goes down in history as the only driver to win the 500 in the legendary wing cars, racing this #40 Plymouth for Petty in 1970. It would be the highlight of the Massachussetts driver's career. Johnny Lightning was the third brand to make this car, but it's the most accurate to how it appeared at Daytona.

Richard Petty's first win in the STP colors in the 500 came in 1973. Racing Champions created this tooling in the 92-93 time period, but didn't use it until 1999's 50 Years of Petty set.

Petty won again in 1974. The Charger was unchanged, and the details of the replica are the same as the 1973 car, just with a different paint scheme.

Richard Petty's 7th and Final Daytona 500 win came in a Buick in 1981. My version, also from the 1999 50 Years of Petty set, which I got second hand, is not the best. Winner's Circle also made the car but did not use the correct neon red. It was not his first Daytona 500 win in a GM product- he also took 1979's race in an Oldsmobile, and while Action did announce that they would produce it 2 years ago, they never did.

Bobby Allison finally broke through and won the Daytona 500 in 1982, in a car regarded by many as being illegally prepared to have the rear bumper fly off, improving the aerodynamics. Gary Nelson was the crew chief at the time. Made by Ertl, in 1982, it was the first Daytona 500 winner produced in scale.

Cale Yarborough's 4th and final Daytona 500 win came in 1984, and also his second consecutive. Johnny Lightning made it in their 1998 NASCAR line, albeit on a somewhat underscale tooling.

Bill Elliott took his second Daytona 500 in 1987, and Action produced it in 2003. It was the next to last historical car they made.

Darrell Waltrip won his only Daytona 500 in 1989, in his 17th try. Waltrip then celebrated by dancing the Icky Shuffle in Victory Lane, before spiking his helmet. Racing Champions issued his car in promo form in 1994, as part of a three car set that also included Ricky Rudd's 1994 Ford, and Rudd's 1991 Chevrolet. Both Waltrip's car and Rudd's 1991 ride are only available in that set.

Ernie Irvan, my original favorite driver, took the first of three wins for Morgan-McClure Motorsports in 1991. The race ended under caution, and it would turn out to be Ernie's only Daytona 500 victory. Funstuf makes it's only appearence on this list. The car may be 1992, there is no difference, and I don't remember what packaging it came in- the only way to tell them apart.

Davey Allison took the 1992 race. It's the only Daytona 500 from 1986-current I have not yet seen in it's entirety. Davey's car was made by several sources, but the best is Revell's. From here on out all cars were produced in the year they ran.

The 1993 Daytona 500 was the first race I ever saw. I had discovered the sport with a big box of Racing Champions cars at Christmas 1992, yet the car that won my first race, didn't actually join my diecast collection until spring of 2011! I'm not sure if there is a Premier version or not- if there is I need to hunt one of them down as well. Racing Champions, of course.

1983 Rookie of the Year Sterling Marlin was always right outside Victory Lane. He had gone winless his whole career...and then he went and scored the 1994 Daytona 500! Racing Champions Premier.

And then Sterling did it again, taking the 1995 Daytona 500, to score his first two career victories in the Daytona 500! Marlin is the only driver to score his first two Victories in the Daytona 500. He would win 8 more over his career, for a total of 10. RCCA is represented here.

Robert Yates Racing suffered a difficult couple of years in the mid-1990s. Davey Allison was killed in a helicopter crash in 1993, and Ernie Irvan moved into the #28 car. Then, Ernie was nearly killed testing at Michigan, and missed over a year of racing. Dale Jarrett went to RYR for 1995, and did well enough as a fill in in the #28 that a second team was formed for Jarrett. It was a wise move. Jarrett won two Daytona 500s and the 1999 Winston Cup Title in the #88 car. It was not the second Yates' team's first race, as Ernie made a miraculous comeback in 1995 and drove several late season races in the 88, but Jarrett took the 88 to Victory Lane in his first race with it. Racing Champions and Revell both made the car, and this version is Revell's, which has superior body lines to the RC example.

Jeff Gordon scored his first Daytona 500 in 1997- and set a record in the process, as Hendrick Motorsports drivers finished 1-2-3, the first and to date only time a team has ever swept the top 3 spots in the 500. Racing Champions' last Jeff Gordon issue is the best example of his 1997 car.

1998 was NASCAR's 50th Anniversary...and the Daytona 500 was one of the most spectacular in history. Dale Earnhardt- arguably one of the best drivers ever to live- had been trying for years to win the Daytona 500. He lost it by pretty much every possible means. Out of gas. Wrecked. Lost a tire on the final lap in 1990, letting Derrike Cope slip by. In 1991, he even took some damage onto the car by hitting a seagull early in the race! The previous season he finished the race despite flipping down the backstretch. In 1998, it all came togther. In his 20th attempt, Dale Earnhardt was finally able to win the Daytona 500! After the race every member of every team- or darn close to it- lined up on Pit Road to congradulate Dale. A scene like it has never happened before or since. It is truly what legends are made of! Action issued this car after the race. It is not quite a raced version- there is no dirt or debris painted onto the car- but it was marketed as the Daytona 500 winner, and it has the race specific trunk markings.

I have to admit, I don't remember the 1999 race that much. I have not seen it since it happened. I do remeber Dale Jarrett flipping up the banking, and seeing the replay from the in-car camera. Action again.

I remember 2000 even less. It was Dale Jarrett's third and final Daytona 500 Victory. Action again.

2001 will always be remembered for the tragedy of the final lap. The race itself was excellent, but it was all negated by the darned final turn. I'm sure even non-NASCAR fans know what happened, but just in case- Dale Earnhardt, uncharacterstically blocking, running in third coming through turn 4- wrecked and was killed. Michael Waltrip, making his first start for Dale Earnhardt Incorperated- beat Dale Earnhardt Jr. back to the line to score his first career win in (off the top of my head) his 464th career start. Action, once again.

I have almost no memories of the 2002 race. It was held just weeks after I lost my dad to cancer. I don't even know if I watched the Bud Shootout that year. All I do remember is Sterling Marlin hopping out of the car- while leading- and pulling on the bumper under the red flag, which is against the rules. It was quite comical. Ward Burton lucked into the biggest win of his career! Racing Champions produced this raced version of the Dodge he drove for Bill Davis Racing.

2003 was a much happier win for Michael Waltrip. He won the rain-shortened race. All 4 of his career wins came on the plate tracks- 3 at Daytona, 1 at Talladega. RCCA Elite.

2004 saw Dale Earnhardt Jr. score the Daytona 500, in the first race known as the Nextel Cup. He was driving this special paint scheme, and this raced version was made by RCCA in the Club Car format, as part of a Two-Pack with the raced version of the Budweiser Shootout car.

2005 saw Jeff Gordon score his third Daytona 500. RCCA Club again.

Jimmie Johnson scored the 2006 Daytona 500 and sprung to his first of 5 consecutive Championships that year. The 500 was held in horrible conditions- fog covered most of the track and the long cameras couldn't even show the cars, the fog was so thick. Unfortunatly, that was during the unfortunate period where NASCAR was making the Daytona 500 a night race and they couldn't delay waiting for the fog to life. RCCA Club in the Club Car's final year.

Kevin Harvick took his Chevrolet to Daytona 500 Victory Lane in a wild finish in 2007. Harvick caught and passed Mark Martin on the outside and the entire field (practically) wrecked behind them, with teammate Clint Bowyer sliding across the finish line on his roof! RCCA Elite in it's penultimate year.

2008 was the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona 500, and Ryan Newman surprised himself by winning. Newman came out of mid-pack with a strong push from Kurt Busch to take the first win of the newly renamed Sprint Cup. It was also the first year that the hated new Car of Tomorrow ran the Daytona 500. Action.

Matt Kenseth took the first Daytona 500 for Roush Racing in 2009, in a very lucky finish. He took the lead from Elliott Sadler just seconds before the rains came that ended the race. Action, yet again.

Jamie McMurray moved from Roush Racing to Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing (Really Chip Ganassi's team) for the 2010 season, and it was the best season of his career- he won the Daytona 500, the Brickyard 400, and the 500 miler at Charlotte. Action was the only diecast company producing cars in 2010, and they didn't do many. McMurray's was one of them, though, that they did do.

The 2011 race is probably my personal favorite Daytona 500. The race was wild, with lead changes every few moments. At the end, a driver making only his second career Cup start, surprised everyone and scored the win! Trevor Bayne became only the second driver to win his first attempt of the Daytona 500- joining Lee Petty, who won the very first Daytona 500! It was also the first time the Wood Brothers had ever put a Rookie Driver in their car as the regular driver in their 61-year history, and Bayne took the #21 to victory for the first time since 2001- and the first time in the Daytona 500 since David Pearson did it in 1976! Lionel/Action produced the car, after much demand from fans- the car had not been on the docket to be made before the fans demanded it.

My original plan was to post this after the 2012 Daytona 500, so I could then mention the production plans- if any- of this year's winner, but for the first time, in it's 54th attempt, the Daytona 500 was rained out until Monday!

·
Banned
17,328 Posts
how many 1:64 true Raced wins were made?? (as in has damage i see 2 in this list)

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[MENTION=1550]Jlogano20[/MENTION], good question. I have no clue. I'll figure it out...sounds like a good topic for the next theme post...

·
Closeted Logano Fan
23,962 Posts
Nice.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
You're missing #10 Derrike Cope in the Purolator Chevrolet Lumina, the 1990 Daytona 500 winner. Racing Champions did the car in 1990 as well as Matchbox and Revell in 1991 and 1992. I'd say Revell did the best job even though it was a 1992 release unless you want to go with Racing Champions. 1988 Winner Bobby Allison's #12 Miller High Life car was never made but a version without the alcohol logos was made by Racing Champions in 1992 in their historical line, it may not be accurate but it's the only car to look like the car he won the 500 with. Those two cars are the only ones that are missing.

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,241 Posts
Wow this is an old thread, but I'm trying to eventually duplicate what Billy has done, so far I have all the raced versions (if made) from 2001-2013, if a raced version wasn't made, I just get the standard release from the paint scheme used. I'm going to start working my way back from 2000 as far back as I can

·
Registered
17 Posts
It has been awhile but it would be fun to talk about this again. I'm trying to get as many of these winners as possible, just added the 1977 Olds Buddy Baker Gray Ghost that won in 1980, issued by Lionel in 2012. Are there any others in here that are missing? I know RC made the Petty '66 and '71 cars but they're not quite accurate to what ran the race. I have them both but not sure if I want to keep them in the collection due to the inaccuracy.

·
The Busch Wacker
9,090 Posts
Updated after the 500, I know Lionel isn't making the RV, probably because of Monster sponsorship. The 2017 Authentics version is the best I can do. Looking forward to swapping in the new Gordon 1997 RV that is being released this year too.
nice dude

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
It has been awhile but it would be fun to talk about this again. I'm trying to get as many of these winners as possible, just added the 1977 Olds Buddy Baker Gray Ghost that won in 1980, issued by Lionel in 2012. Are there any others in here that are missing? I know RC made the Petty '66 and '71 cars but they're not quite accurate to what ran the race. I have them both but not sure if I want to keep them in the collection due to the inaccuracy.
Racing Champions did make a Bobby Allison car without the Miller High Life decals and it wasn't accurate. That's the only winner you are missing there.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
Denny Hamlin's would be the same scheme since he won both the 2020 and 2019 500s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.