Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this and got a charge outta it. I think it's kinda sharp, but I guess everybody does not agree.... :-[

Junior’s Car is Ugly!

January 11, 2008

T. Jay Maddox - SCR

My daughter was home for the Holidays and she received a diet book for Christmas. It’s not the kind for losing weight; it’s for eating better, which she has spent the last couple of weeks trying to teach me to do. I have a NASCAR appetite. Burgers, chicken and ribs sound great, but I am not much for fruit and vegetables.
She came up with a salad recipe I passed on. It had shrimp, oranges, feta cheese, spinach, and some sort of seasoning. Now I happen to like shrimp, feta cheese, spinach and even oranges, but the idea of putting them all together didn’t sound very good to me.
What does this have to do with NASCAR? Well, it makes me think of Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s newly designed cars for the 2008 year. For those of you who have read me before, you can tell I have a bias toward Earnhardt, so I am not taking a cheap shot here. I just think it’s ugly. Of course he didn’t have much to work with in the Car of Tomorrow because it’s ugly to start with. But even this as a given, I thought he had a good opportunity to make it sharp.
Much like my daughter’s salad recipe, I like the ingredients. You mix a little of Junior’s input, with his artistic flair, a dash of his commitment to the past and what do you get... an ugly car?
I think it’s great that Junior wants to be involved in the design of the appearance of his new team. I’ve always heard he has good creativity and artistic talent. It’s my understanding that at least in the Mountain Dew paint scheme he wanted to capture some of the history of the former sponsor which I also admire. Junior is committed to the history of NASCAR, its roots, and old school, if you will. This is evidenced by his hosting of “Back in the Day”, a show that depicts some of the old races, especially from the 1970s.
Again, the ingredients made a lot of sense to me, but the end product, not so much. I know many will think I just can’t get on with the change. I really don’t think so. I have to admit the red Budweiser was quite a handsome ride. It has such a heritage in NASCAR too, so it’s sad to see it step aside. But I’m all for getting Earnhardt in the best equipment in the business.
I just wish that his car had turned out better looking.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Well Ken I'm going to keep this one short and sweet. Even being somewhat of a Earnhardt Jr. fan I don't care for either of his paint schemes so far. ( Oh and I'm a Mountain dew fanatic )
Second, I'm kind of like you, I'm a burger, BBQ, steak kind of guy. But how was that salad? Sounds weird but I'm like you I like all the ingrediants and I have liked weirder thing before. LMK!
Oops, Never mind about the second one. I forgot it was a posting by someone else. Guess you haven't tried the salad either! LOL

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, I have had that salad, and it is (believe it or not) very good. I do also like the paint schemes. I don't know why.....I can't put my finger on it, I just do. I especially like the font that Dale used on the numbers. I guess cause he designed it and didn't do like everybody else and have Sam Bass or some other supposed artist design it for them. To each his own, it could be black and grey primered, as long as it's fast, right?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
LOL, the salad sounds weird but in it's own right kind of good. I don't know to me both paint schemes just kind of seem plain. I know that's part of the Old School thing but I'm just not real impressed with either scheme. I just hope Jr. has more consitancy this year. Not so much that he's fast. Heck he had fast cars with DEI but the DNF's killed him. Good consistancy and it will put Jr. back as a more contending driver for wins.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I actually like the new designs, more back to the basics. Which means, hopefully more R & D so they can have an engine that won't BLOW UP!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts