Diecast Crazy Forums banner

Diecast selling prices?

639 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  JGFAN24 
#1 ·
I'm really not sure if there is going to be a correct answer to this, or even a answer to help me.

I am really new to actually collecting any diecast as a hobby, and I'm sure this thread will show that. I look here, ebay, and other sites for things I have been interested in and prices are all over the board. Now it's hard to really know if things are a good deal, or a rip of (and sometimes I'm sure we really are willing to pay a rip off price for somethings we been dying for).

My question is this, since prices are so all over the board. If a person were trying to sell diecast, what general is a good rule of thumb for asking prices. I have some diecast that I really am not interested in overall, and either just trying to get some money for them or in the end I will to a ROAK to someone once I find out who.

Sorry for the rambling, just curious if there is a good idea of prices (not new)

#2 ·
For me I usually balance between what I'm willing to spend and what the going price for particular piece is. If those figures are drastically different than I usually will hold off on buying.

For me I use Diecast Registry®, but there is cost of ~19.95/year to get into it.

You can also use ebay as a bit of a gauge for what a particular piece is trading for. As always watch in here as well to see what certain pieces are going for if your driver is someone that is fairly popular.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unless it is a limited item that cost mroe than most are willing to pay for then I do what morphius just said to do. If it is something of $150 or more than I usually ask a member here in private. I know what white gold elites, platnums and such go for now after havin some experience but I had to ask some I trust here behind the scenes to get that way as well. A lot of it also epends on the make of the diecast.

The biggets thing though is to not ever be afraid to post an item you are interested in and just ask what we think. You can learn probably the quickest that way. We all had to start somewheres.

Edit: As far as selling diecast....looking at ebay is a good way to gauge as long as there are several simular items listed. if only one or two are listed with a big difference in pricing then you can always sell it here and say say to make an offer. Most here will not screw others over on pricing and will be fair and if you do not know someone just send one of the admins a pm asking about someone's credentials and they should be able to help you out some.

#5 ·
I'm really not sure if there is going to be a correct answer to this, or even a answer to help me.

I am really new to actually collecting any diecast as a hobby, and I'm sure this thread will show that. I look here, ebay, and other sites for things I have been interested in and prices are all over the board. Now it's hard to really know if things are a good deal, or a rip of (and sometimes I'm sure we really are willing to pay a rip off price for somethings we been dying for).

My question is this, since prices are so all over the board. If a person were trying to sell diecast, what general is a good rule of thumb for asking prices. I have some diecast that I really am not interested in overall, and either just trying to get some money for them or in the end I will to a ROAK to someone once I find out who.

Sorry for the rambling, just curious if there is a good idea of prices (not new)
Its better and more affordable to get them online, it depends on who you deal with. I get on ebay and get them from several dealers that offer free shipping and I was able to complete my collection of last year that way. You have to look around and know who's good. Ebay is probably the best place to pick them up.

Price range-wise Lionel runs them about $6.99 to $7.99 and Spin Master runs theirs about $5.00 in toy and retail stores and they are the only company to do so because Lionel just does not want to. Just stay away from people trying to sell for anything above that because they will try and sell something for a ridiculous amount say its rare and Hard to Find yet its already been out.

#7 ·
Well over the short time I have been into diecast, I haven't really bought much outside 1/64th. It seems 1/24's can be all over the board, even for same exact models these days.

I just don't want to be ripped off by asking too low at times (not that I really care as much because to me it's not about that) or be taken advantage of because. There are shady people in every hobby.

#8 ·
Well over the short time I have been into diecast, I haven't really bought much outside 1/64th. It seems 1/24's can be all over the board, even for same exact models these days.

I just don't want to be ripped off by asking too low at times (not that I really care as much because to me it's not about that) or be taken advantage of because. There are shady people in every hobby.
here's the simplest way to deal with it then...go on ebay, enter the item you are wanting to sell and then set your task to completed listings...see what they are going for, and perhaps start there. If there is nothing in the range of items you are trying to sell, go with a similar scheme as a base price...if that doesn't help...go with the minimum you could accept and go from there...let luck be your lady and hope for the best. OR simply keep them and learn more before you list...in the end, you'll only get what that one person is willing to pay at that moment in time.

#10 ·
It also depends on whether or not they're still in the package. A lot of collectors prefer their diecast still in the package, but there are some collectors who don't care. In addition, there are some pretty hot 1/64's out there that fetch a pretty good price, especially some of the hard-to-find promos. If you aren't aware of those, you could sell one of them to someone for $5-$10 and find it listed on Ebay for a week later for upwards of $100.

#11 ·
, especially some of the hard-to-find promos. If you aren't aware of those, you could sell one of them to someone for $5-$10 and find it listed on Ebay for a week later for upwards of $100.

Isnt this practice exactly what you guys have been bending me over your knee for the last 3 days for ??...

....but your telling the new guy he needs to watch out and not give his stuff away ??:surprise:.....

#12 ·
I'm telling him not to sell the stuff blindly for $5-$10 and then have someone take advantage of him and resell it for a lot more. There are people who do that you know. A good example would be the RC Diet Dr. Pepper promo or the Jeff Burton Mayflower car. If he had those, someone would offer him $10 each for those and they would be on Ebay a day later fetching $100. That's the kind of stuff that people do that really pisses me off.

#13 ·
As I was told on here, its a buyers market, which means the buyer determines the price, but I believe if you did post your cars that you want to sell on here and ask what a good price is for them, we could help. I've been to stores that sell them and to auctions that sold them and when you compare the two, Auctions sell them real low.

#14 ·
I'm telling him not to sell the stuff blindly for $5-$10 and then have someone take advantage of him and resell it for a lot more. There are people who do that you know. A good example would be the RC Diet Dr. Pepper promo or the Jeff Burton Mayflower car. If he had those, someone would offer him $10 each for those and they would be on Ebay a day later fetching $100. That's the kind of stuff that people do that really pisses me off.
Very well said, and that's kind of my point. There are shady people always trying to pull one, but as a new guy sometimes you really have no idea on what's real prices or not. For example, I have been after the Robby Gordon Rolex car, Ive only seen 3 totally but not a rare item. One was on eBay for $250 signed, local flea market unsigned $80, and on here two autos for $80. Granted first one I saw was the most money, and seemed kind of rare so might made the mistake but on other hand $80 could be cheap for it without knowing what I had if I was selling.

I know some guys are trying to just get rid of some and others are trying to flip stuff for a buck. I just dont like true collectors taking advantage of newer collectors because they are uneducated.

#15 ·

ahh...i see what your sayin now

#16 ·
In my opinion, the best way to educate yourself of the current values of specific diecast is to simply type in the item in the search bar on Ebay, and check the Completed Listings section for the prices that that specific item has recently sold for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.