Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
ItzConnor
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after winning the Daytona 500 you'd think he would be be sponsorless no more but whats your opinion on this topic does he find a sponsor or not?

·
ItzConnor
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
It should get him more sponsors even if it's pieced together and Jack doesn't ask too much money, now that Matt is a 2x Daytona 500 Champion.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
maybe if roush didn't charge 2X as much for sponsors as other owners, so no, i think he will be running a blank car a few times this year, or with "ford ecoboost" sponsoring, etc.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
no...it won't lure more sponsors. matt has quietly been one of the most consistent champions in the series...his credentials alone SHOULD net sponsors, but the way Jack does business is very prohibitive...it's also in part matt's personality...this day and age of racing it's not enough to have talent, you need to get publicity, and you need to be the pretty boy sadly. Winning supercedes all and the 500 may help..but one race doesn't make a hero. Bayne last I recall is still in the wood brothers car...and he's very young and marketable...just sayin. Nothing against matt...just not the driver most companies throw themselves at...he had a great ride with Dewalt and Crown Royal but stuff happens and things shift. One of the reasons Crown left is they wanted more exposure for their marketing dollar and sponsoring a race at RIR reached more potential customers than a split schedule with a guy who just quietly makes his way into the chase year after year. And actually at one point he was the last remaining driver who made the chase every year since it's inception...he dropped the ball on that a couple years back but still drives solidly and consistently to be a threat every year. He's a good guy, just too vanilla.

·
Somewhere Far Beyond...
2,377 Posts
no...it won't lure more sponsors. matt has quietly been one of the most consistent champions in the series...his credentials alone SHOULD net sponsors, but the way Jack does business is very prohibitive...it's also in part matt's personality...this day and age of racing it's not enough to have talent, you need to get publicity, and you need to be the pretty boy sadly. Winning supercedes all and the 500 may help..but one race doesn't make a hero. Bayne last I recall is still in the wood brothers car...and he's very young and marketable...just sayin. Nothing against matt...just not the driver most companies throw themselves at...he had a great ride with Dewalt and Crown Royal but stuff happens and things shift. One of the reasons Crown left is they wanted more exposure for their marketing dollar and sponsoring a race at RIR reached more potential customers than a split schedule with a guy who just quietly makes his way into the chase year after year. And actually at one point he was the last remaining driver who made the chase every year since it's inception...he dropped the ball on that a couple years back but still drives solidly and consistently to be a threat every year. He's a good guy, just too vanilla.

That's it, exactly. He's too 'Under the radar.'

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doubtful and if it does lure sponsors they'll just throw it on the 99 anyway. Im sure the prize money most will go towards Edwards to.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
no, jimmie johnson is the last driver who has made every chase since 2004.

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
No, I really don't think so. I don't think the problem with Roush Fenway sponsorship issue is so much there are no sponsors, more so that there aren't many that can afford (apparentlly) their high prices. Everyone was up in arms about how David Ragan was the reason that Roush Fenway could secure a sponsor for 2012 because he wasn't "good enough", but sure enough.. David Ragan went into Daytona (Shootout and 500) with two real sponsorships, while RFR slapped some Ford decals and adverts on the 6. So.. I don't think the problem is with a.) the driver or b.) the sponsor.. it's with RFR.

EDIT: At the same time though, it's hard for Matt to compete with Carl Edwards. I'm not knocking Matt or anything like that, but Carl Edwards is a sponsors DREAM guy. He's dedicated to the sport, he's dedicated to his sponsors, and so on. He may not be liked by some fans, but sponsors love him for good reason. Carl is RFR and NASCAR's "go to guy, so money is going to go to him over anyone else at RFR.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts