Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Jayski

Dogecoin/Reddit now targeting the Most Popular Driver award? Now that a pair of websites found a loophole to manipulate the voting in last week's Sprint All-Star race, they now have set their goals for a loftier goal - taking down #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the Most Popular Driver award. Dogecoin and reddit.com, fresh off a stunning victory that earned #98-Josh Wish a spot in the sport's all-star race last Saturday at the Charlotte Motor Speedway, already are laying out plans to flood the internet with votes for a driver who's never had a top-10 finish in 79-career starts. By using steps to get around the intended format to vote for the all-star race, a group of fans were able to rig the vote - one fan voted as many as 82,000 times - to get a starting spot in the all-star race. According toreddit.com, it boasted of being able to get its "shibes" to get Wise 98,000 votes in the final 11 hours of the balloting. The same web site now wants Wise to beat Earnhardt, who's won the most popular vote for 11 consecutive years. According to reddit.com, Wise supports the project. The voting format for the most popular driver award was posted on the web site, with suggestions of how to beat the intended system again (Florida Times Union), voting for the Most Popular Driver award has not started yet. It was announced in March 2014 that voting would start sometime in May 2014.
BUT Reddit.com is the largest online community on the planet, and hardly qualifies as a "small fan base." Reddit and Dogecoin members did not engage in "manipulation," they simply worked harder - and smarter - than any other group. They mobilized their fan base in a way that was both impressive and 100-percent legal.(Godfather Motorsports)
AND Dogecoin and Reddit are selling #98 Dogecoin t-shirts in which the proceeds from the campaign will be put towards sponsorship of #98-Josh Wise in the Fall Sprint Cup Series race at Talladega Superspeedway in October. They have already reached their goal of 5,000 t-shirts to do the sponsorship.(5-21-2014)

I had to laugh when I saw this. These people will make the NASCAR community implode when they announce Josh Wise as most popular driver. Other than the Reddit people and hardcore NASCAR fans many people don't even know who Wise is.....my parents didn't even know. They heard the name, but they didn't know what he looked like, where he came from or anything else.

I couldn't care less if Jr wins MPD because its pretty meaningless so it will just be interesting to see how this plays out.

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
I could care less who wins the most popular driver award... Usually just makes me gag anyway... this wouldn't be any different.

Reactions: April

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,241 Posts
If Josh Wise wins, I feel like NASCAR will becoming a laughing stock of sports. The fact that a bunch of nerds have enough time on their hands that they can vote for a car with a stupid dog meme on the hood is sad. Until I see a majority of the grandstands filled with people wearing Wise gear, Wise would only be winning the award of most psychotic fan base. And his "fans" don't even like him for his driving ability. They just think it's funny that they got their stupid meme on his car. I feel like the whole reddit community is just trolling the real NASCAR fans

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
i think the MPD should go to who has the best 2014 season going off wins and top 5's not by most votes and i will vote for anyone but wise for MPD because he does not earn has much has the top 30 in 2014 drivers points

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something interesting is Jr is the MPD because generally his liked or loved by a huge portion of the community. His success helps drive our hobby forward and overall he accounts for a big chunk of merchandizing for NASCAR. He has or has had some of the biggest sponsors in the sport.

Wise has had none of that. He drives a third tier car with almost no sponsorship. Would him winning MPD help his career or will we have our first backmarker MPD?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Now that would be awesome! The NASCAR community would melt down.

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
AJ, POPULAR means exactly that.... doesn't mean their good or win races.... look at Dale Jrs totals through out his "streak". Its a dumb worthless award to begin with... Wise can have it. Between the two, him getting into the ALL STAR race was the bigger travesty.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AJ, POPULAR means exactly that.... doesn't mean their good or win races.... look at Dale Jrs totals through out his "streak". Its a dumb worthless award to begin with... Wise can have it. Between the two, him getting into the ALL STAR race was the bigger travesty.
I agree its a dumb award, but what do you mean look at Jrs totals from his streak? He lacks wins I'll give you that, but consistency wise he is among the best in the sport the past two years or so. He definitely needs more wins though.

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
I agree its a dumb award, but what do you mean look at Jrs totals from his streak? He lacks wins I'll give you that, but consistency wise he is among the best in the sport the past two years or so. He definitely needs more wins though.
The past two years I agree he has picked it back up. He's won it 11 years in a row, there where years when he was winless and out to lunch too. That was my point...

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The past two years I agree he has picked it back up. He's won it 11 years in a row, there where years when he was winless and out to lunch too. That was my point...
Oh yeah I'll agree with that. In 2009 and 2010 he was flat out terrible and won MPD.

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,241 Posts
But even Dale Jr's worst years were miles above what Josh Wise and the #98 car are capable of performance wise.

·
Larson Collector
1,625 Posts
POPULAR..... that's all I have to say.... as long as they have online voting this kind of thing is gonna happen. The ONLY way around it is giving away vouchers at the track with a code on it to vote and that code is only good for one vote.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts