Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
XC Crazy
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new, and if you don't mind me asking, what is a door number? From what I have seen in old posts, it looks like writing underneath the rear window. I heard they are rare, so i looked at my cars, and each one had one? TIA!

·
#BadMofo
15,981 Posts
I am new, and if you don't mind me asking, what is a door number? From what I have seen in old posts, it looks like writing underneath the rear window. I heard they are rare, so i looked at my cars, and each one had one? TIA!
The "writing" under the rear window is a DIN, which I believe stands for Diecast Identification Number. It identifies the diecast production number.

The numbers/letters before the will show you the "code" for that particular diecast (I'm not 100 percent on how that's done) the last sequence of numbers is the number it is in production.

For example a diecast could have a total production of 500 as indicated by the sticker on the box. The numbers in the back window of the diecast at the end of that string will show 001, 002, 003, 004,... 010, 011, 012,..100, 101, 102 etc up to 500

To answer your question as what a door number is, it's when that production number, matches the drivers number of that diecast

For example (in the case of 500)

001-Jamie McMurray
002-Brad Keselowski
024-Jeff Gordon

The number of 0's a DIN could have depends on the production number

·
XC Crazy
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You, All the numbers I have are really high besides my Jeff Gordon auto'ed 57 chevy

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
Thank You, All the numbers I have are really high besides my Jeff Gordon auto'ed 57 chevy
ultimately...do the cars still look nice? that's the reality of the situation if you are simply collecting...to me the DIN or 'door' number is nothing more than elitism...it's a production number. the 24th car off the line is no 'better' or different than the 23rd or the 25th. Some folks make a big deal out of it since it's 'one of a kind' but in the end...it's a toy with a production order on it...nothing more than an ink stamp.

·
Mopar CraZy
2,012 Posts
ultimately...do the cars still look nice? that's the reality of the situation if you are simply collecting...to me the DIN or 'door' number is nothing more than elitism...it's a production number. the 24th car off the line is no 'better' or different than the 23rd or the 25th. Some folks make a big deal out of it since it's 'one of a kind' but in the end...it's a toy with a production order on it...nothing more than an ink stamp.
I tend to find that higher your number the cleaner the car looks

·
0 Posts
Moreover, at one time when MAAXESHUNRCCALIONELLE used tampo graphics, it was "useful" to have a car made lower in the run because as the tampo pads for printing received more and more use, the quality of the printing job would degrade over time.

However, these days, the cars are wrapped. Car #1 looks exactly the same as Car #10,000. No observable difference whatsoever. Only your barber and display case would know for sure. Therefore, if your collection is one for your own personal enjoyment, what difference does it make whether you have Car #1 or Car X? They all look the same sitting on a shelf or packed in a bin. The only reason to care would be if you are one of those "oooooo look, I got a shiny precious, that no one else has and I'm planning to fund my retirement on the resale of said shiny precious..."

Like what you collect and collect what you like. What others think? Irrelevant. @Jeff-Bayne

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
Door numbers are the centerpiece of my collecton. I have several Bobby Labonte, Terry Labonte and Kyle Busch 1/24 Door Numbers. I've also got a huge amount of cards of those three as well that are Door Numbers. To me they're awesome and more valuable to me than the same items with a different serial number. And like some of the guys said, the value is in YOUR eyes. Personally, I don't care what anyone else thinks about Door Numbers, because they ROCK! :)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I completely understand what [MENTION=103]moparbob[/MENTION] and [MENTION=175]NEW2[/MENTION] are saying, I don't have a door number yet but I think it would be something cool to have in my collection. In saying this though I am not going to go out and actively look for one, if I happen to get one cool!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I completely understand what [MENTION=103]moparbob[/MENTION] and [MENTION=175]NEW2[/MENTION] are saying, I don't have a door number yet but I think it would be something cool to have in my collection. In saying this though I am not going to go out and actively look for one, if I happen to get one cool!
Couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
I completely understand what @moparbob and @NEW2 are saying, I don't have a door number yet but I think it would be something cool to have in my collection. In saying this though I am not going to go out and actively look for one, if I happen to get one cool!
couldn't agree more...I had one...it meant so much to me I traded it away...looked all the same as the one that replaced it personally...and as bob and believe both said, it's in the eye of the beholder. I only present my points because as some folks ask questions they are 'led' to believe that door # or this or that is so important to a collection. Depends on who you are above anything else. Like one of the members here with over 20 door numbered matches for Smoke cars...that's his thing. They all look like Smoke cars to me but he really worked hard to get most of them.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I agree [MENTION=175]NEW2[/MENTION] they are all the same, there is no getting around that!

·
Registered
102 Posts
couldn't agree more...I had one...it meant so much to me I traded it away...looked all the same as the one that replaced it personally...and as bob and believe both said, it's in the eye of the beholder. I only present my points because as some folks ask questions they are 'led' to believe that door # or this or that is so important to a collection. Depends on who you are above anything else. Like one of the members here with over 20 door numbered matches for Smoke cars...that's his thing. They all look like Smoke cars to me but he really worked hard to get most of them.
NEW2, u know ur hoping to land a Smoke door # car to add to ur collection bro :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
yep...don't mean to imply they are wrong either...just zero significance to me personally...that's it.
I understand completely!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I agree with most of the members here in saying it depends on what you are after in your collection. Some go for low numbers, some for door numbers, but I think most go for the enjoyment of getting another car of their favorite driver.
I have a ton of Dale Jr cars, but only one door number to date. To be honest, for the right trade my door number would be gone. Although it is cool to look and see the 00088 in the back window, I would much rather look at my collection and see another 3 cars on display. Just my 2 cents.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
The door number is the matching serial number, but there's actually a breakdown for the whole DIN-- I know this has been posted before, but I am sure it's buried because it's been so long ago. Here's an example....

CU1188-22MDEJXXXX-00088
CU = Cup car
11 = 2011
88 = Car #88

22 = Elite (21 = ARC, 23 = gold series or truck)
MD = Sponsor (Mountain Dew) This is the Diet Mountain Dew car
EJ = Driver (EJ is the code for Dale Jr)
XXXX = Special notation for the car (CL = Color Chrome, WGD = White Gold, AUT = Autographed, etc.)

00088 = Serial number. 88 would be the door number, any other number would just be the serial number of the car in the production line.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well, I just learned a whole lot more about the DIN # with that post. Figured I had the driver name down in the DIN but not the rest of it. Great breakdown and thanks........

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting thread. Especially the breakdown of the DIN.

So my question is do the manufacturers usually hold the door number cars and only send them to special customers or is it possible to buy a sealed diecast and just happen to get a door number? Is there anyway to find out what the DIN is by looking at the packaging.

Do any of the CWS trucks have DIN's? I havent seen any that I know of.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts