Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I think this is ridiculous. If he wants to run the full series, let him. If the other guys can't compete. then maybe they shouldn't be racing. Trust me, I am not an Edwards fan at all, but we're only a few races into the season. In addition, I think this is a slap in the face to all the other competitors, saying they're not good enough.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Harvick ran all last year but no one had a problem with it that I remember.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
I must agree, 1 simply because it is a free country and he can race anywhere he wants to.
If Tony Stewart can show up at the Chili Bowl and put a whoppin on those poor bastards then why would anyone have a problem with this?
I must say, it does not impress me one bit for a cup driver to go down to the Busch ranks and pound those guys, it is taking a step backwards and I think it is a bit silly, but it is certianly their right.

When Harvick won the Busch title last year what did it mean? Kevin Harvick, NASCAR Nextell Cup driver, not good enough to win the Cup, but better than the Busch guys?! :rofl:

Secondly, as Spool said, if these guys cannot beat Carl Edwards then they need to know that before somebody puts them in a Cup car, because they are not even going to pull a top 10 in the big series.
As an owner I want to know where my guy measures up before I pay to put him in the show. If Carl Edwards spanks your ass every weekend, then maybe I will look elsewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harvick was the same last year. But this year its just Edwards in dominant equipment. It is obviously the 60 car more than Edwards. Nobody can compete with them becuase of Roush's money. So what should other teams do? Run Cup for a decade and then be good enough to run Busch? No new teams will come in. It's a deadly spiral. I'm shocked people woiuld rather see Edwards win instead of guys like Huffman and Kangaroo Meat win. I'm shocked.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Where's the outrage against Harvick last year? And he had another half-dozen Cup drivers with him running the full schedule. Sorry, but if Edwards wants to run the full schedule, he has the right. Until NASCAR changes its rules, you can't fault the drivers for running both schedules.

·
Registered
724 Posts
taterracing said:
Where's the outrage against Harvick last year? And he had another half-dozen Cup drivers with him running the full schedule. Sorry, but if Edwards wants to run the full schedule, he has the right. Until NASCAR changes its rules, you can't fault the drivers for running both schedules.
Yup

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
I'm not for Buschwacking really, but I mean I'm used to it and can live with it. And I don't get why your upset with Edwards when last year Harvick did more than dominate, I can't even put into words the way Harvicks Busch season was last year. Harvick was ahead by 400 only 4 races into the season or something and I seriously don't remember too many people caring.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
penskefan212 said:
Harvick was the same last year. But this year its just Edwards in dominant equipment. It is obviously the 60 car more than Edwards. Nobody can compete with them becuase of Roush's money. So what should other teams do? Run Cup for a decade and then be good enough to run Busch? No new teams will come in. It's a deadly spiral. I'm shocked people woiuld rather see Edwards win instead of guys like Huffman and Kangaroo Meat win. I'm shocked.
how do you figure Edwards has been running for 10 years? to my knowledge he only ran a handful of races in 2004, but enough to keep him from getting the rookie of the year chance, and then went full time in 2005. so by my calculations hes only been running in Nextel a lil over 2 1/2 years.

i in turn dont exactly like the fact that these guys go down and race in the busch series because it does kinda hurt the next batch of up and commers but at the same time its like what was stated earlier, i want to know if you are good enough to beat the big boys and/or at least compete. i think there should be a cut off or a limit to what or how many races you can go with but with all the changes in the equipment these days its almost a totally different competition. so until they put a stop or change the rules i just go with the flow and watch it because its still a race.

after reading some of the comments on the signature page, it looks to be some people are just going to clown you on it instead, lol

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I think Dave Blaney has a chance to compete w/him in the Busch Series, or at least he did until they changed the Toyota Manifold. There are alot of races left and he is a much better driver than his equipment has allowed him to be in the past. That is evident in how he has been running in the Braun Busch car, and although he doesen't have the finishes to show for it, he has been running fairly well in the Cup Series also.
I know for one thing, I would bet it won't continue to be a blow out all year like it was last year w/Harvick.
If anyone is into conspiracy theories, who's to say that NASCAR hasn't given him an edge w/this manifold deal so Roush will cut back on his Toyota vendetta? God, now I sound like the idiot callers on Sirius radio everyday saying the same old BS....LOL!
I just think it's called racing, and if you can afford to show up and race, you should be able to show up and race. Carl happens to be a Roush driver and he is blessed w/great equipment. If and when NASCAR changes the Busch cars to different cars from the Cup cars it may change things. But on the other hand, they will be running the COT fulltime by then, so the burden of having to field another totally different car will not be there as the regular Cup car expense wil be gone, so it won't make any difference. Again, NASCAR has manipulated things so their fairhaired boys can do whatever they want.
It is all a viscous circle. We can only sit back, watch and hopefully the races will be entertaining.
Just a few o' my opinions....all I can say is..."Go get em' Dave!"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
joker_20 said:
penskefan212 said:
how do you figure Edwards has been running for 10 years? to my knowledge he only ran a handful of races in 2004, but enough to keep him from getting the rookie of the year chance, and then went full time in 2005. so by my calculations hes only been running in Nextel a lil over 2 1/2 years.

i in turn dont exactly like the fact that these guys go down and race in the busch series because it does kinda hurt the next batch of up and commers but at the same time its like what was stated earlier, i want to know if you are good enough to beat the big boys and/or at least compete. i think there should be a cut off or a limit to what or how many races you can go with but with all the changes in the equipment these days its almost a totally different competition. so until they put a stop or change the rules i just go with the flow and watch it because its still a race.

after reading some of the comments on the signature page, it looks to be some people are just going to clown you on it instead, lol
I'm not talking about Edwards, I'm talking about Roush. If buschwackers keep this up its going to end with only Cup teams running in Busch. Anybody can run the 60 car to victory lane. Edwards just seems to be the lucky one that gets to.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
There are many, many reasons why Cup drivers run in the Busch Series and you have to eliminate most of them before most of the Cup drivers stop running both series.

1. Drivers love to race!
People complain about Dale Jr. and Jeff Gordon and a few others about only running Cup races and not enough other races. The day a driver doesn't want to race is the day he needs to consider retirement.
Are you more inclined to watch a Busch or Truck race if your favorite Cup driver is participating? I think that 99% would say they'd be more inclined to watch.

1A. Money, Trophies.
Drivers want to race, but they race for that trophy. How many drivers said that they wanted that Gibson Guitar last week at Nashville? Plus the money. It's not Cup money, but hey, it's cash nonetheless.

2. Sponsors.
Sponsors who are paying multi-million dollar sponsorships want their car to run up front. They don't want to pay all this money and see they're car finish 25th every week. How do you make sure you're car is in the top 10? Put a Cup driver in it. You have that much better of a chance to get a good finish, plus, usually, they're affiliatted with a Cup team, so you get the resources, AND you have name recognition. Like I said before, fans are more likely to watch a Busch race if their favorite is racing.

3. Car owners.
Much like the sponsors, there's more money involved. If you get a sponsor involved with your Cup driver, a lot of times they'll become an affiliate in their Cup program. Also, it's more seat time for their drivers to earn experience at that track and learn for the Sunday race.

4. Track owners.
It sure as hell benefits the track owners to see Cup drivers in the Busch Series. They can sell more tickets. Like above, you have name recognition.

5. NASCAR.
A. NASCAR has a system in place that supports Buschwhackers. You have 27 of 35 Busch races that run at the same track as the Cup Series (includes Indianapolis). That makes it convienent for the Cup drivers to race both.
B. Both series run on the same tires. This is a HUGE benefit to learning something for Sunday, more so than anything else. Change the tires for one of the series, decrease the advantage.
C. The cars are too much alike. One thing NASCAR is doing that is good for eliminating Buschwhacking is the Car of Tomorrow. If the cars are completely different, that further separates the advantage of racing both series. There's talk in a few years that NASCAR will change the Busch cars further, possibly to sports cars.

Well, that's all I have for right now. Not bad for putting this together before noon... If you can think of other reasons, I'll add them.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I think one of the reasons to limit Busch Whacking is the COT. Drivers do the double as additional practice on the track but when the COT is implemented full time it will be completely different than a Busch car. I think that is one of the reasons behind the COT is to limit the amount of Busch Whacking.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Whine and gripe, That's all I seem to hear about Bushwacking. Every driver goes out and does the best job they can for their owner and sponsors. If the owners and sponsors want them racing in busch series that where they race. Every driver wants a championship trophy on their mantel or trophy case. That's why they race, TO WIN!! Carl has nothing to prove. He has won in every series and continues to be a dominate factor in every series he runs in. This is his third or forth year at trying for that championship. If the competition can't keep up, get out but let the man race what his owners have set out for him to do. If they can't compete with him in Busch series how are they ever going to compete on the cup series. It has simply been said before. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Or my saying Get it, sit down and shut up. I really wouldn't mind seeing him break every record Busch series ever had. Not that I'm a big Edwards fan. I like him but I think it is a free country, Go out and excel in what you love to do. Motivate the rest of the teams to beef up or get out. I personally would rather see the cup drivers step down and make the competition harder than to see the Busch drivers stepping up and falling out because they can't handle the elite series.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
This is pretty funny, like JJ said though, the COT (if they go full time) will stop people from thinking drivers are only racing Busch to gain experiance for Sunday. I think this petition thing wouldn't even work, even if you could get 5 million signatures. I personally don't like seeing a driver dominate all year, yea that makes it usually boring, and especially takes away a chance from my favorite drivers, (Clint Bowyer). But what can you do about it, we will always have cup guys running in the Busch races, and particularly ones that will do good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts