Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some people who are upset because they didn't do a ton of post-race coverage like interviews, but am I the only one who noticed/ticked because they didn't bother to let us know that the drivers were okay after the last wreck?

Case and point, Kyle Busch goes head first into the wall and I don't think they ever once bothered to say: "Kyle Busch has his window net down" or "Kyle Busch has radioed his team and let them know he's okay". Why not? If we can have a camera shot of Danica's car sitting in the garage, they can spend 10 seconds to let people know that a driver is safe. No, they just decided to show Kyle's destroyed race car just sitting there without saying he was okay.

If you aren't on Twitter or Facebook, you wouldn't have known.

/end rant.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
I agree this to me like last we on Kyle saving the car twice and not a top ten play made me question there slogan worldwide leader in sports

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
they should had stay at daytona a little long instead of going in to a basktball game that was like speed last night they was in hurry to go away form daytona

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I think ESPN's overall coverage sucks! The only positives are Dr. Punch And Bestwick!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Yeah, I was a bit upset that they didn't let us know about Kyle. I never even saw him get out of the car.

Otherwise, I was ok with the coverage. I understand that there's more than NASCAR for their sports obligations. SPEED can stay forever because they have nothing else on their plate, but ESPN's plate is full.

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,902 Posts
ESPN has multimillion dollar contracts with each conference of basketball and football to a certain extent.In those contracts I am sure it states that ESPN can be no later than so many minutes or points to a game w/o facing a substantial fine by the conference.

You need to keep in mind also that the race had a red flag condition once for a extended period of time for the removal of the splitter.Also they had the extended yellow to repair the safer barrier also.As we all saw that the Daytona Speedway officials and Nascar officials dont move extremely fast for anybody even after a violent crash.

·
In It 2 Win It
12,031 Posts
ESPN is garbage. I know a few people that work for them (being they are based in CT) and they say that most on air or known ESPN people are well bleeps. Their website coverage is a joke too. They have about 5 Danica articles a day. OMG Danica crashed! Front page! They are jsut concerned about $$ and not what fans want.

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
thats twice they had to bail out of post race show to go to college games remmber the 2nd to last race last year

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,242 Posts
I think broadcasters should try to schedule "extra" time after a race in case a red-flag or multiple GWC. Idk if that's a feasible option for ESPN because you can't dictate when other sport events begin.

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ESPN has multimillion dollar contracts with each conference of basketball and football to a certain extent.In those contracts I am sure it states that ESPN can be no later than so many minutes or points to a game w/o facing a substantial fine by the conference.

You need to keep in mind also that the race had a red flag condition once for a extended period of time for the removal of the splitter.Also they had the extended yellow to repair the safer barrier also.As we all saw that the Daytona Speedway officials and Nascar officials dont move extremely fast for anybody even after a violent crash.
I'm not complaining about time or them going off air, I'm talking about them not even bothering to let us know about Kyle. It doesn't take 10 seconds to say: "Kyle Busch has radioed his crew that he is okay" during one of the five replays that showed his car going head first into the wall or the five times they showed his destroyed car sitting there without him getting out. And I'm not going to "keep in mind" anything because it doesn't matter. Ten seconds. That is all it would have taken to say: "Kyle Busch has told his crew that he's okay" or "Kyle Busch has his window net down".

Whatever though, I guess I'm just stupid for wanting an update on a human being that just crashed head first into a wall at 150+ MPH and wasn't shown climbing from his car. Sorry for having a heart and wanting to know if a driver is okay..

·
Banned
5,645 Posts
I'm not complaining about time or them going off air, I'm talking about them not even bothering to let us know about Kyle. It doesn't take 10 seconds to say: "Kyle Busch has radioed his crew that he is okay" during one of the five replays that showed his car going head first into the wall or the five times they showed his destroyed car sitting there without him getting out. And I'm not going to "keep in mind" anything because it doesn't matter. Ten seconds. That is all it would have taken to say: "Kyle Busch has told his crew that he's okay" or "Kyle Busch has his window net down".

Whatever though, I guess I'm just stupid for wanting an update on a human being that just crashed head first into a wall at 150+ MPH and wasn't shown climbing from his car. Sorry for having a heart and wanting to know if a driver is okay..
I agree, I was very worried about Kyle after that hit and all ESPN would talk about was James Buescher or what ever it is

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
I knew Busch was OK, I wanted to know what his thoughts were after that wreck and I'd also like to know Tony Stewart's thought on the big wreck as well. I am just irritated that they did not interview the top 5 or a final tally of the results which I want to see is the final rundown. All is not well at ESPN right now anyway...I just think its time they give this racing thing to somebody else to do. I liked the TV Deal a few years ago in 2001-2006 when FOX did the first half and NBC did the second but NBC dropped NASCAR for football. ESPN has waaaaaay too much on their plate nowadays, ESPN may WANT to have more games and sports on but in a nutshell that's the last thing they need. It just makes for a tighter schedule they have to keep.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Yeah, like I said in another post, I was at Mid-Ohio for an Indycar race and they actually delayed the start of the race because ESPN was covering a golf tournament.... I was like seriously ???

What a joke.

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
Huh? ESPN pays NASCAR to broadcast the races, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
espn needs to spend least money on college sports then to make us nascar fans happy they should have delayed the count game like they do to the nationwide races in the fall when football game goes over the race

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
ESPN is garbage. I know a few people that work for them (being they are based in CT) and they say that most on air or known ESPN people are well bleeps. Their website coverage is a joke too. They have about 5 Danica articles a day. OMG Danica crashed! Front page! They are just concerned about $$ and not what fans want.

...and unfortunately this is why most NASCAR fans do not like Danica. Because ESPN is very pro Danica even when she is running Mid 30's 2 Laps down. This is not a knock at Danica at all but honestly it is annoying when they cover her in a situation like that when a young driver or under dog team is having the race of their dreams and don't get mentioned. I found it slightly amusing/annoying that after he wreck they had to hear right away via in car radio and then had to cut away because she was dropping adult material and then once she got to the garage they had to follow he unstrapping, getting out, walking around the front and right side of the car and then cut to the bumper cam for a walking away shot...what a JOKE...

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i hate espn's coverage. they mention princess patrick at least 200 times, and they mention johanna long twice. they say "this is the first race for kyle busch driving for his own team" at least 50 times, and they never mention tayler malsam, jason bowles, joey gase, danny efland, or benny gordon, all of whom were also driving for new teams. it's the Nationwide series for crying out loud, not cup light (although they would have us believe that). guys like nemechek, bliss, clements, mcclure, malsam, stenhouse, hornish, allgaier, etc., should be getting more coverage and exposure than any of the cup drivers, regardless of running positions. nascar wonders why the cup guys get all the sponsors in nationwide, they need to look no further than espn's "coverage".

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,242 Posts
I honestly would not have a problem with Danica if the media treated her like everyone else. I like her as a person and she's a respectable driver but the fact she is such a major advertising tool and gimmick just repulses me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts