Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
A few weeks back, @Dubbs posted a topic on the forum asking for help on getting a Carl Edwards helmet shield signed for him. This is a service I offer through my stores pretty much anytime of the year, but being that the races were coming to town here in California, I thought I'd do a little something extra special for Jason and get it from Carl personally and add a little twist

I obtained Carl's autograph yesterday, and The shield was signed...but you'll all need to stand by for the rest of the story.

It's a good one, and Jason, I know you'll get a good laugh and kick out of it!

Part 2 of the story comes later...I'm off to the track now!

·
#BadMofo
15,981 Posts
Wow, I can't wait to see what it is!

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
Sweet....

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
Ok so here goes part 2 of the story...

Friday morning, I am able to track down Carl Edwards at the track. Prior to contacting him, I ask my wife who is with me, to video record Carl signing the shield, because its my intent to have Carl give "Jason" a message for him to see. As Carl approaches, I hand him the helmet face shield, and Carl begins to autograph it. Probably knowing that the face shield is not your everyday "mass production" piece and is rather unique, Carl focuses his attention on the faceshield, and while looking down, provides a beautiful quality autograph using a silver sharpie pen. During this time, I explain to Carl that the faceshield belongs to a friend, "Jason," and I ask him if he can provide a message to him. I guess you could say it was in the middle of this process, where things get interesting? In my mind, I know my wife is video taping Carl and I am simply asking Carl to look up at my Droid device and give a little message to "Jason," but I quickly (just not quite quick enough) realize Carl and I are not on the same page, because his attention is on the helmet shield and he does not even realize he's being video taped at this moment.

Stay tuned for what happens next...The last part of this story will be the video of Carl and I, and photos of the faceshield.

·
#BadMofo
15,981 Posts
Ok so here goes part 2 of the story...

Friday morning, I am able to track down Carl Edwards at the track. Prior to contacting him, I ask my wife who is with me, to video record Carl signing the shield, because its my intent to have Carl give "Jason" a message for him to see. As Carl approaches, I hand him the helmet face shield, and Carl begins to autograph it. Probably knowing that the face shield is not your everyday "mass production" piece and is rather unique, Carl focuses on the faceshield, and while looking down, provides a beautiful quality autograph using a silver sharpie pen. During this time, I explain to Carl that the faceshield belongs to a friend, "Jason," and I ask him if he can provide a message to him. I guess you could say it was in the middle of this process, where things get interesting? In my mind, I know my wife is video taping Carl and I am simply asking Carl to look up at my Droid device and give a little message to "Jason," but I quickly (just not quite quick enough) realize Carl and I are not on the same page, because his attention is on the helmet shield and he does not even realize he's being video taped at this moment.

Stay tuned for what happens next...The last part of this story will be the video of Carl and I, and photos of the faceshield.
LOL, good ol' Carl

I can't wait to see the video and pictures of the face shield. Thanks again so much for doing this for me, I can't thank you enough. I'm really glad he signed it!

I have another one coming for you for the next time you go LOL

Thanks again Kyle

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the Video of what happened...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0vD0RBnYiY]Carl Edwards autographs helmet shield for fan - YouTube[/ame]

·
#1 Johanna Long fan!
5,544 Posts
[MENTION=1840]Dubbs[/MENTION] that is an awsome piece to own LOL

Very nice of you to do [MENTION=992]Checker Flag Zone[/MENTION]

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
That is pretty damn cool....You gotta love Carl.

Kyle man thanks for that. As always your always willing to lend a hand. LOL....or a pen...

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
OOPs I am also a little slow there Carl. Congrats.. Jason on such a fine piece to add to your collection...LOL

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And here is the end product...Great quality Auto with special "not exactly as planned inscription"

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
Thats awesome. I'm slowly becoming a fan of Carl, since he's so nice to the fans.
I am not a Ford Guy, but I have to be real honest, of all the drivers Carl Edwards is by far the most fan friendly driver out there. This guy truly appreciates the opportunities he's been given and is very appreciative of the fans and the sport itself.

I have been in the business of autographs since 2008, and even though it's rare I get my autographs in person now (I usually only do it when I want to be a fan again and the races come to town), I have to admit I have never seen Carl turn down, or even reluctantly provide an autograph to anyone in the years I have been doing this (and I've witnessed him autograph things for people on numerous occassions). The only time I did see him pass on providing an autograph to a group of people was at a public appearance where he only spoke, however, his PR guy came back to the crowd after Carl left, handed out a sign up sheet that asked for names and addresses of the people in attendance...I later learned through people that filled out the list, they were mailed autographed handouts.

I'm a huge fan of Carl. He is what NASCAR is all about...I just wished he was in a Chevy :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
Me too, of course him in a Chevy. Still love the guy a bunch. Ive got some friends that had some really great stories about the things he does for his fans.

Again Kyle thanks for sharing this. Really great signature Dubbsy....

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
that guy is top shelf and what it is indeed all about...not just because he signs stuff...but he does genuinely appreciate what he has, where he's at, and why he has a job...I know he tied for the championship last season...but there really isn't a guy more deserving of it and I hope he is able to fulfill it soon.

·
99 CraZy
484 Posts
that guy is top shelf and what it is indeed all about...not just because he signs stuff...but he does genuinely appreciate what he has, where he's at, and why he has a job...I know he tied for the championship last season...but there really isn't a guy more deserving of it and I hope he is able to fulfill it soon.
A lot of people probably don't understand his story. It's amazing. His work ethic is almost comparable of MJ's. Sorry I had to compare my 2 of my favorite athletes.

·
Prototype CraZy!
3,082 Posts
Knowing we have drivers like Carl Edwards makes Nascar more fun to follow.
Very nice gesture of [MENTION=992]Checker Flag Zone[/MENTION]!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Carl is awesome to meet as well as a quality cameraman. He says he takes the pics of him and fans often. Don't know how he takes such a great pic, lots of practice I gues. LOL!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts