Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robby Gordon is removing a Motorola logo from the hood of his #7 Ford at the request of NASCAR officials, but he says he doesn't understand how Motorola and Cup series sponsor Nextel are competitors. He also can't understand why the company can be an associate sponsor on the car, as it has been the three previous Nextel Cup races, but cannot move into a primary slot. "I'm having a hard time understanding how Nextel and Motorola are competitors because that's the reason we can't use the sponsorship," Gordon said. "They have been an associate sponsor on my car for the first three events, and they can remain as an associate sponsor on my car; they just can't be a primary sponsor on my car." Gordon said NASCAR officials told him that was the reasoning for the changes. NASCAR President Mike Helton said that Motorola is specifically listed among the companies barred from being a primary sponsor in the Nextel agreement, which gives Nextel (now Sprint) exclusivity among wireless providers as well as wireless handset manufacturers. "It's a NASCAR decision, yes," Gordon said. "This is the first time I have ever been involved in something like this. I've never been told no [on] a sponsor because we never felt we've gone after a sponsor that wouldn't be approved. I didn't even imagine that Motorola wouldn't be approved. They're the official radio of everybody in the garage area. It's just mind-boggling, and I'm having a little bit of a hard time on it." Gordon said he planned to use the sponsorship for two events. "We have a relationship with a competitor's cell phone company [Verizon] in the Busch Series, and we felt that with them in the Busch Series and Motorola strictly in the Cup series, there wouldn't be a conflict," he said. Motorola has a relationship with NASCAR as it is the primary vendor of Racing Radios, which provides two-way radio service for NASCAR at the track. Gordon said he was unaware of exactly how Motorola could be considered a competitor. "That's where a person like myself has a hard time because you go to the front page of Nextel.com and you find Motorola logos on there and Motorola phones on there, and it's just a bit confusing why we're having an issue with the race car being on the race track," Gordon said. Helton added that NASCAR - not Nextel - made the decision on the car, a decision that he said seemed fairly black-and-white. "NASCAR is the group that polices the sport, so it's NASCAR's role to approve paint designs, approve sponsors on cars, approve how sponsors utilize the paint designs on the cars to promote and activate their relationships," Helton said. Helton said that most of the times, these issues are handled before the car gets to the track. "There is a process in place where the paint scheme has to be approved ... there wasn't time to fix the car before it got here, but we have plenty of time here to correct things," he said.(SceneDaily.com)(3-16-2007)

from jayski.com

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is just like the Harvick/Sunoco deal a few weeks ago. Nascar is getting very pathetic with this sponser stuff.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
selby92 said:
This is just like the Harvick/Sunoco deal a few weeks ago. Nascar is getting very pathetic with this sponser stuff.
no i dont think this is like the harvick/sunoco deal.............i think this one is even more stupid than the other. its like what was stated, that when you go to their site, thats the fiirst thing you see is motorola. its not like where sunoco had a "small" point but nothing more than trying to be an ass, but motorola doesnt even have its own "wireless company", it is only the maker of phones not service provider.

·
Registered
335 Posts
if this was tony stewart, and not robby gordon, nascar would have no problem with it. that's the way they play. harvick got the free pass, he's to good and on a childress tea,. robby gordon is going alone, so nascar blasts him. same old crap.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
What a pile of shit. NASCAR is making a big deal about how much the sport helps advertising and barring certain companies from it is not only making NASCAR look like a bunch of idiots but it also will drive other sponsors and teams out of the business. Without sponsors no one competes.

·
Super Moderator
8,683 Posts
this is such BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when Winston was the sponsor of the series, they didn't ban Camel or Skoal or any other primary sponsor that directly competed with them for customers.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Ron3fan said:
this is such BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when Winston was the sponsor of the series, they didn't ban Camel or Skoal or any other primary sponsor that directly competed with them for customers.
EXACTLY!!! America was born on free enterprise!!! Why can't other companies get involved!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Toyota is different though as that is a new manufacturer. Sponsors don't affect the racing on the track. Toyota does. Big difference there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts