Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DCZ little collectors,

I need to vent. I just don鈥檛 understand why Littles are $14.99 plus $6.00 shipping? I was use to paying $8.99 or $9.99 with free shipping. I don鈥檛 care if they have metal diecast or plastic chassis it鈥檚 a little. I never removed from the boxes 馃摝. I refuse to pay FEEBAY prices for RW and standard schemes 馃槨馃槨馃が馃槨 very frustrating to be ripped off.
Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Automotive tire

Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Automotive decal

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 collect the little ones. The only one I purchased lately was the Richard petty firecracker 400 raced version car. I only paid $10 with free shipping.

I was wondering if it had to do with space limitations and more people are buy the little ones?

Sunday Money
Why
Higher cost of raw materials
Higher labor cost
Higher factory fixed cost
Higher fuel cost adds to shipping cost as well
Higher demand for littles as an alternative to 1:24 price increases and lower quality

Other cost factors of NASCAR die-cast
NASCAR licensing cost
Sponsor licensing cost
Respective teams get $ too

Supply and demand still determine price point ...basic economics. When demand declines Lionel has two choices ...not produce or lower quality in an attempt to lower price which adds even more risk to sustain the factory MOQ business model to make any money. Lionel's pricing is directly related to factory (cost of production) and licensing (cost to sell) and a minimal margin to even consider production.

The littles are no longer financially subsidized by 1:24 market demand struggling to maintain itself for over a decade of declining demand. Best to expect price increases every year for new product if produced at all.

Fortunately ... these toys are wants and not needs ... we all choose when to play and when not to play.

I stopped playing the game in 2017 ... jumped off the train to no where (Lionel) and glad I did. From my "want" perspective over 25 years, lower quality was always my primary concern vs. price IF produced. My 50+ top quality customs (3 x retail) of DNP paint schemes was my choice as well. (y)

Observation: I historically purchased 300 paper plates (non coated Wal-Mart brand, "Great Value" :rolleyes:) for convenience purposes for around $8 a few years ago as a "want". I continued to pay "for convenience" higher prices the past two years of around $11. Last week, I noticed they went up to $14 which means I will choose to use real plates going forward. I made a conscious decision to change my behavior and spend my money on other things that I "need" vs. "want".

The insanity of being a collector is not always a good thing. :eek::ROFLMAO:

just old school
These days, I am on the fence with littles, cost vs want.
At Lionel, I had 4 Chase Elliott r.w. littles "pre-ordered" then cancelled them all.
Delivery timing was one reason,
the car looking the same was another.
So I chose to save $$. ($40.00+)
If I buy any littles, its Authentics, from retail, Elliott or Harvick only.
Still finding some old time Racing Champions littles in good condition.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why
Higher cost of raw materials
Higher labor cost
Higher factory fixed cost
Higher fuel cost adds to shipping cost as well
Higher demand for littles as an alternative to 1:24 price increases and lower quality

Other cost factors of NASCAR die-cast
NASCAR licensing cost
Sponsor licensing cost
Respective teams get $ too

Supply and demand still determine price point ...basic economics. When demand declines Lionel has two choices ...not produce or lower quality in an attempt to lower price which adds even more risk to sustain the factory MOQ business model to make any money. Lionel's pricing is directly related to factory (cost of production) and licensing (cost to sell) and a minimal margin to even consider production.

The littles are no longer financially subsidized by 1:24 market demand struggling to maintain itself for over a decade of declining demand. Best to expect price increases every year for new product if produced at all.

Fortunately ... these toys are wants and not needs ... we all choose when to play and when not to play.

I stopped playing the game in 2017 ... jumped off the train to no where (Lionel) and glad I did. From my "want" perspective over 25 years, lower quality was always my primary concern vs. price IF produced. My 50+ top quality customs (3 x retail) of DNP paint schemes was my choice as well. (y)

Observation: I historically purchased 300 paper plates (non coated Wal-Mart brand, "Great Value" :rolleyes:) for convenience purposes for around $8 a few years ago as a "want". I continued to pay "for convenience" higher prices the past two years of around $11. Last week, I noticed they went up to $14 which means I will choose to use real plates going forward. I made a conscious decision to change my behavior and spend my money on other things that I "need" vs. "want".

The insanity of being a collector is not always a good thing. :eek::ROFLMAO:
@Legacy thank you for laying it out. I understand and you are correct. Since I came back to collecting after a 10 year break last year. Looks like I will have to decide if follow my favorites is really worth it in the long run. I guess now that this season is over I will think hard about collecting Kyle & Chase Littles in 2023 馃う鈥嶁檪锔 Extremely sad state of affairs!!! 馃様馃ゲ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts