Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Pocket Sand
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Franchitti, Power predict open title fight - Racer.com

IndyCar title favourites Dario Franchitti and Will Power are not expecting a head-to-head title fight this year due to the increasing competitiveness of the series.
The Ganassi and Penske rivals have done battle for the IZOD IndyCar Series championship for the past two years, with Franchitti coming out on top both times. But the reigning champion believes the number of title contenders for this season could be in double figures as there are more competitive lineups on the grid.
"I think there are as many as 15 cars capable of winning races and eight or 10 legitimate championship contenders," said Franchitti ahead of this weekend's season opener at St. Petersburg. "We've got our work cut out for us, but I can't wait for the season to start. We're going to try to win the first race, and – I hate to be boring about it – win the championship by doing the best job we can."
Power believes that there have been other drivers capable of fighting for the title in recent years, and he now believes that the level is higher than ever.
"It's kind of surprised me that it's been a two-horse race the past couple of years, because there's a lot of guys in there who are bloody quick," said the Australian. "The quality of the field just gets better and better. I think it's one of the toughest fields I've ever seen. It's great to see.
"I think this year, with new engine manufacturers and a new car it certainly will be mixed up. It's going to be very interesting."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts