Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone had made this custom on ebay and wants $250 for it. It doesn't look too bad to do, minus prepping the donor body, but i thought i'd see if anyone on here was the creator of the car (can't get the link for it here at work, but the only one on there) or might be able to tackle it for cheaper. [MENTION=530]ronmcc[/MENTION] or [MENTION=505]diecastcarsnc[/MENTION] might be my link to find an action 2007 Dodge funny car to be the donor. Here is the link for the decals off the slixx site:

Slixx Decals Inc., '07 OAKLEY CHARGER FUNNY CAR (4XCHAMP)

If all else fails i might try an offer lower on the one on the bay, but never putting an offer in before i don't know how successful i'd be.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just a fantasy car I think. There are pics of the real deal but I don't think he ever raced it. I thought it was pretty cool, along with pretty much all the Oakley cars of Gary's and Scotty cannon. As a matter of fact the only 1/16 funny cars I own are theirs.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, the two pics i can find on google show it towed around on a flatbed and one of it actually on the track, so maybe it did run at some point? i missed it apparently... also, it looks as though the 06-08 charger bodies are all the same, so anyone with a lead on a decently priced donor car would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered 2 sets of decals, now to find a donor!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a donor and of course had to buy an extra so i would have that car too! :)

·
Banned
4,679 Posts
Ok, the two pics i can find on google show it towed around on a flatbed and one of it actually on the track, so maybe it did run at some point? i missed it apparently... also, it looks as though the 06-08 charger bodies are all the same, so anyone with a lead on a decently priced donor car would be appreciated!
He did race it. I believe it was the Denver race. I remember seeing the car on tv so he at least made a pass with it during qualifying. Wish they would have made that car though it was awesome looking.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-UiKdS2DU]2007 mopar mile-high nationals #4 - YouTube[/ame]

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He did race it. I believe it was the Denver race. I remember seeing the car on tv so he at least made a pass with it during qualifying. Wish they would have made that car though it was awesome looking.

2007 mopar mile-high nationals #4 - YouTube

i saw a few pics that said dthe mile high nationals but never thoguht about googling it. i've only seen a few pics of the car and the custom that is on ebay right now. i don't know why they didn't make it when they did about every other one in one form or fashion. it is a sharp car i think, and i'm going to attempt to do it justice. it'll be my first and probably only custom! hahahaha. i was on the cruz kick trying to collect all his, and so far i'm there as far as standard paint finishes of having at least one of every year. on the gary side i have the 05 snow camo in action and rc2 trim, 06 black chrome, pretty sure one that is supposed to be carbon fiber or something? but don't see it on my outdated spreadsheet, 97 winston top fuel, 03 time bomb 1/16 and 04 oakley 1/16. i think the scelzi cars had the best graphics and i am going to slowly try to collect all of his cars that i can. i ordered two sets of decals for the 4x car and if i only use one i'll send the other set to you. the donor car still set me back 54.99 plus shipping, but i offered up to 150 for the one the guy wants 250 for on ebay and he declined every offer. biggest fear is getting the windows out and deciding to mask off the rear wing or just spray it all gold and repaint the wing by hand. i have some thinking and planning to do! hoping to find a good clear coat to throw on it if i can make it look good. i hate he isn't driving any more. i've already bugged him once and mailed cars to his truck shop in cali and would hate to keep doing it! the custom might HAVE to go though!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

2007 mopar mile-high nationals #4 - YouTube

the video was hard to see, i'll have to check it out on the computer tomorrow. here's what i dug up on nhra.com. looks like a first round loss to john force, and that is what the video looks like to me maybe?

(W) John Force (Castrol GTX Mustang) 0.086 5.114 301.60 (L) Gary Scelzi (Hemi Oakley Charger) 0.094 5.394 250.04John Force has 973 round wins. This is his 26th appearance in Denver. He has had three first round losses here. Gary Scelzi is the defending POWERade Champion. He holds a 12-9 career advantage over Force in eliminations.
Scelzi had a cylinder out early and his car was skating around for most of this pass. A trouble-free pass for Force earns him lane choice over Pedregon in round two.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That will be one sweet custom. I would love to see pictures when it is done.

i'll take them as i go. i know a little about painting and working with stuff like this and i used to do models, so hopefully it'll all come together pretty easily. step one is to get them in, strip the donor, and start attacking the gold paint. the decals are going to be interesting, layering some over others. i am sure it will be a headache but should look awesome if i can get it to work!

·
Banned
4,679 Posts
the video was hard to see, i'll have to check it out on the computer tomorrow. here's what i dug up on nhra.com. looks like a first round loss to john force, and that is what the video looks like to me maybe?

(W) John Force (Castrol GTX Mustang) 0.086 5.114 301.60 (L) Gary Scelzi (Hemi Oakley Charger) 0.094 5.394 250.04John Force has 973 round wins. This is his 26th appearance in Denver. He has had three first round losses here. Gary Scelzi is the defending POWERade Champion. He holds a 12-9 career advantage over Force in eliminations.
Scelzi had a cylinder out early and his car was skating around for most of this pass. A trouble-free pass for Force earns him lane choice over Pedregon in round two.
Sorry it was just something I saw when I searched to try and find a picture. Wish Competitionplus went back that far with their gallery. I think they didnt make it because Action must have not had a license for Wild Thing. Milestone made his 07 car with all the puzzle pieces and that was the last one made for him since no one even made his 08 scheme. Wish I would have bought that puzzle piece scheme. It would be nice if Lionel gave some love to the NHRA and did some classics there.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry it was just something I saw when I searched to try and find a picture. Wish Competitionplus went back that far with their gallery. I think they didnt make it because Action must have not had a license for Wild Thing. Milestone made his 07 car with all the puzzle pieces and that was the last one made for him since no one even made his 08 scheme. Wish I would have bought that puzzle piece scheme. It would be nice if Lionel gave some love to the NHRA and did some classics there.
I like that one too! You can get the 1/16 on eBay for 100 right now. No biggie with the video. I Saw slixx is shutting down, and only saw this set of scelzi fc decals, but if this goes good it would be cool to custom all the ones not made. I love the 1/16 cars!

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
i just bought this car. from his feedback you can see has made a few cars and the people said they were so great on the detail, paint & clear i couldnt pass it up.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just bought this car. from his feedback you can see has made a few cars and the people said they were so great on the detail, paint & clear i couldnt pass it up.
Congrats on the buy! i couldn't spend that much on it, and for $70 i hope to have it knocked out. i went as high as 150 but it auto declined. it said he had a pretty good clear coat on it, and i think that will be key to keep it from turning yellow or anything. I might be wishing i would have spent the extra money after i get into the painting of the car! the wing and if i can get the windows out concern me, but i'll give it a shot and maybe if i fail i can catch one later if/when i get the cash.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car showed up relisted again. did you end up picking it up or did he have another one?

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
hi caleb,

my best guess is he built another one. He is building me a rockstar energy for the 200.00 . Look at my photos i collect nascar customs and this scelzi car beat any nascar custom i have, ITS WELL WORTH THE MONEY ...and headaches to build ur own.

chris

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi caleb,

my best guess is he built another one. He is building me a rockstar energy for the 200.00 . Look at my photos i collect nascar customs and this scelzi car beat any nascar custom i have, ITS WELL WORTH THE MONEY ...and headaches to build ur own.

chris
rockstar energy funny car? i forgot about that one. it took a while but i got the kenny bernstein monster energy funny car a while back. i'm going to try this one out and see what happens. i saw slixx is quitting the business, and i don't know of too many other diecast i'd want that aren't made. i always hoped there would be a larry dixon skytel dragster but it was never made. other than that maybe the ashley force TAD in green and red that i keep seeing on ebay if it was less than 300. Hopefully i can knock this car out, i'm going to take my time and probably invest in an airbrush or borrow one. i hope to use some of my crafting skills and old model building knowhow to try and make this one happen. post some pics when you get that one in. i am def curious as to how it will look. i saw some of the "camo" missing on the vertical pillar between the front windshield and the side. my donor scelzi car has CHARGER on the windshield instead of up on the roof too.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the car disassembled as far as i can take it i think. i'd like to be able to get some of the under body struts off but i think they are glued in, and don't want to break them... next step is a particle blaster (i want one anyways) to strip the car down and a paint gun (also already on my wishlist) and this thing will start coming together!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts