Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas 'N' Go: Who Should Do Double Next? - MRN.com
By: MRN Staff on May 22, 2014 | 8:17 A.M. EST

Pete Pistone and Dustin Long say who they'd like to see do the Indy 500-Coke 600 double next after Kurt Busch's run this year. (Photo: Getty Images)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on print More Sharing Services

Print
Email

Untitled Document
The pits are open again and, MRN.com's Pete Pistone and Dustin Long each answer this week's featured question in "Gas 'N' Go."
Who would you like to see attempt the Indy 500-Coke 600 double next?
MRN Staff
Answer

Pete Pistone
Simply completing the task of running 1,100 miles in one day is not enough. Although it's still an arduous accomplishment and an amazing feat, in order to generate interest in the Memorial Day weekend double a driver has to be a serious contender in both races. Kurt Busch has achieved that distinction this year in my opinion.
So with that criteria in mind I'd like to see Kyle Larson as the next driver to try.
The young talent already has shown he can be competitive in the Sprint Cup Series. Larson also has an open-wheel background, albeit not in IndyCar, but his natural ability would be something to behold behind the wheel at the Brickyard. Larson also has a built-in connection with team owner Chip Ganassi, who heads one of the powerhouse IndyCar organizations.
Larson would not only generate more attention for the sport like Busch is doing this year, but he would be a legitimate contender to pull off one of the greatest feats in all of sports in winning both the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in one day.

Dustin Long
I’d like to see Tony Stewart try the double again and make a - last? - bid for an Indianapolis 500 win, but he’s too old and won’t do it, so I’ll go with Kyle Busch.
For all the talent Busch has, wouldn’t it be something to see him do it a year after his older brother? However, I don’t get the sense the double is on his radar.
If not those two, I’d have to go with Kyle Larson for the talent he’s already shown. Maybe we’ll get to see him do that someday.
The opinions expressed here are those of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the Motor Racing Netwo