Diecast Crazy Forums banner

Getting Autographs

911 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  NEW2 
#1 ·
Ok Guys, I have seen a lot of threads and photo's of folks on here getting auto's. I have yet to go to a Nascar race, although my Jr collection is awesome(had to throw that in there), and am planning to go this year and take my youngest son.
What is the best way to see the drivers and get autographs? Or, what top of the line tickets can I buy to insure I can get to a garage area or an area where the drivers are likely to be? And lastly, if a person is standing there with 2 or 3 cars in hand, how likely is it someone like Jr or Gordon would sign all of them?
When I get to the track, I just dont want to look like a newb, although I will be one.:biggrin:
Thanks for any input....

#3 ·
It depends on what track you're going to. Every track has slightly different rules about getting access to the garage area. I'd say you'd be lucky to get just one autograph from Jr and Gordon though. Not likely you will get multiples unless you are there for the whole weekend and just concentrating on those two drivers.

Another option is to attend signing events that will be taking place in the surrounding area the week of the race. We usually attend several events starting the Thursday before the race and have met tons of drivers that way. Not Jr or Gordon unfortunately.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is no "Top of the line" ticket that can be bought.. that will get you in any NASCAR Garage. Garage passes for the Craftsman Trucks Series, Nationwide Series, and Sprint Cup Series can only be obtained by sponsors, teams, and the respective series. Getting passes from teams can be difficult due to sponsorship obligations. Each team is allowed a certain amount of passes for each week.. the same with sponsors. It can range from just a few up to 20 or more.

The best way to get in the Garage is start networking and getting to know the right people. It took me several years to get my first Garage Pass. Once you get a Hot, Cold, Truck, or Nationwide Pass.. you will hate waiting in any type of autograph lines. It simply amazing to turn around and see Jeff Gordon standing five feet away talking to Carl Edwards about a upcoming practice... etc. The thing with getting any type of garage pass from a team or sponsor is they are responsible for your actions what time you are in there. Since you are there as a guest of theirs.

As far as getting Gordon, or Dale Jr to sign more than one item at a time good luck. Not only are you having to walk ahead of these guys and keep up with them, but your having to fight with other collectors and pr guys. Not really fight but it dont come easy! The PR people can be a pain at times and can have you kicked out of the garage. So you want to stay low key. You can get several of the big guys several times.. over the course of a weekend. I usually just focus on 2-3 drives in the garage. The three I usually focus on is Gordon, Johnson, and Martin.

Also do not be fooled by "Pit Passes" alot of tracks will sell you a pit pass for $99.00 and say you will be able to get close to the action! Well.. kinda sorta not really. You may see a couple of the lower end drivers.. but for the most part with a "Pit Pass" all your going to see is the pit crew setting up the pit cart, Goodyear employees mounting tires on wheels, etc. You will be ushered off "Pit Road" about a hour before the race which is about the time it goes "Hot." Thats when all the bigger named drivers will leave the haulers / motorhomes and go to the drivers meeting, and introductions.

You will be able to get a few autographs on race day from the haulers. Several drivers will sign at the haulers. There will not be any HUGE names... usually Kurt Busch, Logano, Michael Waltrip, Etc. However there is always signings going on around race week. I know Tony Stewart does 20 or so autograph signings a year through Office Depot and Bass Pro Shop. Another option is check the speedways website and see if they are offering a package with a autograph signing. I know last year Indy, Charlotte, and Martinsville had alot of the drivers do autographs signing. Dont be fooled by the high dollar package for a Q&A. Because its just that... a Q&A... no autographs or picture withs.

Wish ya the best of luck... its not something that will happen over night.. my only advice to you is educate yourself about the hobby the best you can.. and be patient.

Good Luck!

#6 ·
I've found it easier to get stuff away from the track than at the track, unless you're at a specific autograph event. Reutimann and several others seem to do limited autograph sessions at their merch hauler, but sometimes you have to buy an item from the hauler to get the autograph; sometimes not. Last year, Atlanta organized a drawing for autographs from 8 drivers, and winners would get randomly selected for two. JR, Harvick and Montoya were there. Announced autograph sessions in the area, like Logano at Home Depot, are a good way to access a certain driver. And some take mail-in requests, but you have to worry about the condition of the car when it gets there and the attentiveness of their staff in repacking and returning it.

Good luck, man. From a guy that chases a lot of autographs, it can be tough, but worth it if you're happy with it.

#7 ·
I couldn't have put it any better than [MENTION=2227]glorytogod85[/MENTION] other than to say patience is the key and being at the right place at the right time.

As far as appearance schedules go, check social media sites such as facebook and twitter as they seem to the most up to date, along with jayski and driver/team websites.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
@glorytogod85

Very well stated and also very accurate information. In addition to his advice, there are also other resources available to the public if you know where to look. Websites like Jayski, Driverappearances.com, Sponsor sites, and the driver websites are also good sources of information on where the drivers will be appearing when the races come to town. Sometimes their appearances are also put in press releases, so check your local newspaper in the days leading up to race weekend. These events are usually 100% free and open to the public. I know when the races come thru town here in So. Cal, there are at least 12 to 15 different locations where various drivers will make appearances in town over a three day period. This is in addition to track related events. As a store owner, I typically post these signing locations in our stores so the public knows who and where the drivers will be over the weekend.

To comment a little further on the information posted by "GlorytoGod85." He could not be anymore correct about the networking part. More importantly, should you choose to pursue this path, do it for the right reasons, and start by joining your local NASCAR Members Club Official NASCAR Members Club | This is a good way to start getting connected, while at the same time volunteering for NASCAR sponsored events that could lead to greater opportunities.

Lastly, in reference to "pit passes." There are plenty of areas around a track you simply cannot access without a pit pass, so a pit pass is also a valuable option if you are looking to get autographs from drivers.

#9 ·
We go to Fontana every year and this is what I have found out.
Get there VERY EARLY. We have passes to get to the "Fan Zone" and hour before it's open to the public. Go to the merchandise trailers and you will see signs on some telling you when the drivers might be there to sign.
Have to say I've seen Johnson or Gordon come out but I have seen Newman, Kurt Busch, Kenseth, Mears, Hornish and several others.
Most of the time they hand out tickets to the first 100 people (usually at 7am) and then you come back with the ticket later and get in line.
There is also usually a limit of 1-2 items per person.
That's what I know and that's only at Fontana track.

#10 ·
I can tell you glorytogod is spot on...and I've yet to spend a single dime on the nascar member's club..it's a complete sham...don't waste the time or money...spend it on qualifying day/pit access to your local track or a trip to charlotte and the race shops instead. SOME drivers will make appearances at the haulers during race weekend but many also make special appearances at sponsor venues on Fridays or sometimes Saturdays such as walmarts near the track, menards, dollar general, discount tire, just depends on the driver. Check local listings, and during the 600 weekend many drivers go downtown for fan days festival which is cool as heck. I made more than enough connections over time just standing in lines for free...put your time in, have fun, and enjoy the experience. Qualifying day at the track is by far the least stressful for fans AND drivers as they take two laps and typically call it an afternoon...good luck and enjoy the hunt...tis far more rewarding to secure the autograph in person than pay for a guess at best.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
@NEW2

I think you missed my point about the NASCAR Members club. I was just trying to illustrate the point of how the average fan could start the path of networking by doing something as simple as joining a NASCAR related club and getting to know people associated with the sport. What you may not know is that Richard Petty played a significant role in co-founding the club and that the opportunities are there for alot of members to volunteer their work at the tracks come race weekend. NASCAR Club Members are often the ones working the Driver signing events at the race tracks (handing out wristbands, keeping things in order, and meeting the driver needs), so believe it or not its a great way to get to know alot of people and even some of the drivers over time. It's also a great way for some to meet new friends who share a common interest.

And for the record, I'm not Club Member, nor have I ever been one...I just know what they do, and thought this could be an easy way for people to start networking.

#12 ·
When I've done Dover for a weekend certain drivers do autographs at the trailers. Usually they post a sign at the trailer during Fri and Sat stating they are giving away X number of tickets (50-100) and the time to line up Sun morning. When I got Reutimann and Logano u showed up at 7am and the first 100 people got autograph tickets. It stated the time to come back and wait in line again to get your autographs, was like around 10-11am. You were allowed 2 items to be signed for your ticket.

I tried showing up Sun morning at like 6am last year and they don't have the signs up for whos signing and what time to line up. So unless u are there the day before the race at the merchant haulers then u won't know who is signing or where to be.

#13 ·
@NEW2

I think you missed my point about the NASCAR Members club. I was just trying to illustrate the point of how the average fan could start the path of networking by doing something as simple as joining a NASCAR related club and getting to know people associated with the sport. What you may not know is that Richard Petty played a significant role in co-founding the club and that the opportunities are there for alot of members to volunteer their work at the tracks come race weekend. NASCAR Club Members are often the ones working the Driver signing events at the race tracks (handing out wristbands, keeping things in order, and meeting the driver needs), so believe it or not its a great way to get to know alot of people and even some of the drivers over time. It's also a great way for some to meet new friends who share a common interest.

And for the record, I'm not Club Member, nor have I ever been one...I just know what they do, and thought this could be an easy way for people to start networking.
No..I got the point completely...the NMC is far from what it once was...there are plenty of other 'free' opportunities that are not tied to that organization...I could care less how it got started really...it's a sham. As to the ones handing out wristbands etc...I know for a fact that's more often not the case than it is...I had a great relationship with Kurt's folks at the haulers etc and more often than not I was the one doing so at whatever event I attended...if I was unavailable or one of my friends at other venues, the husband and wife team took care of it.. Off track events are usually handled by the site employees and or coordination with their personal managers...Tom Roberts while at PRS was the guy who handled Kurt's pr...His motorcoach driver Paul was the guy who handled what Kurt needed...I realize you run a business selling overpriced toys...this isn't my first appearance at the rodeo...I appreciate the explaination... I also worked with Tony Stewart's uncle a lot when he was a big figure with Action diecast at trackside appearances...I have a pretty solid handle on how it works, I know who runs NMC...the whole system is corrupt...all I'm saying is, there are plenty of other venues/means to establish autographs without paying a dime...show up, be there. search the net for listings, contact your favorite driver/race shop and ask for appearance details. NMC just wants your membership money with returns that are quite limited...I spent more time in the garage, with teams, in victory lane, wherever I wanted to go, legit...and free.

#14 ·
Theres probably a zero chance that jr or gordon would sign more than one item for you. Gordon is really strict about it. I got jr to sign two items for me once but i was one on one w him. Everyone else depends on a lot of factors.

#15 ·
I know Dover in the fall had a autograph session on Saturday. There was Denny Hamlin, Jeff Burton, Martin Truex Jr, Kurt Busch, Michael McDowell, and a few other drivers were there but you had to pick who you wanted you got to meet two drivers. Dover handed so meny out for free through there website and they had a guy walking around handing them out. I dont know if Dover is doing that this year and I know Pocono Tricky Triangle Club you can meet drivers at there club tickets cost $99 but you also have to have a grandstand ticket

#16 ·
[MENTION=2227]glorytogod85[/MENTION] and [MENTION=175]NEW2[/MENTION] nailed it. My only addition if you have some time and things you aren't completely attached to, try through the mail (TTM) at the driver's shops. Most of the websites list addresses to send them to and there are a lot of people here with good info on this. Unfortunately, Gordon and Jr are two that WON'T sign TTM.

Just do your homework, talk to people and the autos will come.

#17 ·
@glorytogod85 and @NEW2 nailed it. My only addition if you have some time and things you aren't completely attached to, try through the mail (TTM) at the driver's shops. Most of the websites list addresses to send them to and there are a lot of people here with good info on this. Unfortunately, Gordon and Jr are two that WON'T sign TTM.

Just do your homework, talk to people and the autos will come.
agree completely....I know the Busch boys are GREAT with super quick turnaround...Petty drivers were as well...the big big names won't even take TTM due to backlogs...hamlin won't either nor with Logano now...if you go to the driver websites as mentioned, you'll see who will and who won't...also PRS racers if you order from their shop you can request over the phone or in the online order form comments section to have your piece autoed at no extra charge, just takes a few weeks extra sometimes when the driver schedule is freed up. Likewise everything from harvick's e-shop comes pre-signed. Have to thank Larkin and a few harvick lovers for that tip long ago...good luck, it's cool to meet the guys personally, but if you just want signed stuff...there are many options with little additional cost if any at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.