Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe Gibbs Racing has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday and several published reports say the team will announce it has signed a deal to field Toyotas in the Nextel Cup series.

The reports, citing unidentified sources, said JGR will end its 16-year relationship with General Motors and give Toyota its first big name team in Cup.

Team officials refused comment on the report Thursday but did confirm the news conference and that drivers Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin are expected to be at the announcement.

``That is not something we can talk about,'' Les Unger, Toyota's motorsports manager, said Thursday. ``Anything on this subject at this point needs to come from the team.''

The Gibbs team has worked with GM since 1992, competing first with Pontiacs and then with Chevrolets. Stewart has won two Cup titles during that period, while former team driver Bobby Labonte also won a title for Gibbs.

A GM spokesman said the company would have no comment other than to say that it never discloses details of ongoing negotiations with its teams.

Gibbs will field three Cup cars next year, including one for Kyle Busch, who is leaving Hendrick Motorsports at the end of the 2007 season. Busch recently agreed to a three-year contract with Gibbs.

Stewart is signed through 2009, but JGR president J.D. Gibbs said the team is hoping to sign him to an extension. Hamlin is under contract with the team through 2010 and is also working on an extension.

Toyota, which has competed and had some success in the Craftsman Truck Series for several years, moved into both the Cup and Busch series' this season. But the company failed to sign with any of the existing top teams and its entries have struggled just to qualify for the races and have come up with only a handful of top-10 finishes.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I don't know if I wanna just cry or what? Say it an't so Joe?? All I keep thinkin about is Mikey & Dale at MWR & how crappy that team has been.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Smart move in the long run. Look at Pontiac in 2002-03. Stewart just won a championship in 02 in a Pontiac and Gibbs jumped ship to Chevrolet. Pontiac folded after 2003. They knew something that the other teams didn't know. J.D. and Joe are thinking ahead. This is a smart move.

It's hard to judge Toyota right now. Every team Toyota has aligned with is a bum team. Not one of them a contender. When Brian Vickers is your best driver, you know you have a problem. Gibbs legitimizes Toyota and they will win and win championships with Toyota.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
I think it might actually be smart, unlike most the other Toyota teams, Gibbs has the provisionals for next year, and on top of that Toyota can only improve next season.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Toyota's best ranking in the standings is Blaney in 33rd. Gibbs has the drivers but if the equipment doesn't improve drastically overnight I don't see them being much of a contender next year.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
The only provisionals Gibbs will have will be for Stewart, and NASCAR's new rules limit those. If Toyota continues to struggle, it could be embarrassing for those teams next year.

·
Registered
328 Posts
if anyone can win in a toyota it'll be tony

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Well, the announcement isn't official yet, but Kyle Busch is shooting off his mouth, as usual. Imagine that. Man I hate that little asshole.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Well Spool it's not like anyone doesn't know what's going to be announced. It's been rumored for months now much like the Jr going to Hendrick was all but confirmed a few days before the "official" announcement.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Yeah but last time I checked, Shrub was hired to drive for Gibbs, not to be their official spokesperson.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
JJ48Fan said:
Toyota's best ranking in the standings is Blaney in 33rd. Gibbs has the drivers but if the equipment doesn't improve drastically overnight I don't see them being much of a contender next year.
Supposedly, the top end of the Toyota engine is very similar to the top end of the new Chevrolet engine.
Gibb's engine guys are really on top of their game. They will make the already stoudt Toyota engine almost bullit proof, and with that added reliability and Stewart and Hamlin behind the wheel, they can do nothing but improve.
Add to that the info that Dave Blaney has been gathering as far as set-ups go, and they will be a force to contend with.
They should all be stronger from it should they all share info.
I am looking forward to it.
BTW, I don't think all of the teams are bum teams. BDR is not setting the world on fire, but they have been competitive, getting a pole and running fairly well when they stay outta others problems. JMO, but then I am partial....

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Red Bull and MWR get there engines from TRD. BDR builds it's engines in-house. JGR will build it's engines inhouse from parts supplied by TRD.
The body is the same as this year, w/a little nose change. The engine is a pushrod V-8 w/one year in Cup under it's belt. Very sucessful in trucks. This will not slow down JGR one little bit.
You'll never know there was a change. JMO...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts