Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Greg Biffle

While all eyes have been on Biffle’s teammate, Carl Edwards, to be the biggest domino to fall, could Biffle actually be the one to set everything in motion? As recently as April, the 44-year-old stated his intention was to stay at Roush Fenway Racing and that a new deal was imminent.

“We’ve been working pretty diligently on that,” he told Frontstretch back then. “It has been a pretty good negotiation so far. There are a lot of new people on both sides of the table, so everyone is kind of getting a feel for the program and learning it. We feel pretty good that we’ll have something to announce before we get to summer.”

But as May rolled around, warm weather looming Biffle suddenly sounded colder, less confident in his status for the future.

“I think there’s plenty of opportunities in the industry to be in competitive cars,” he said in an interview on SiriusXM Radio earlier this month. “I enjoy being at Roush Fenway. I love 3M. We have a great relationship and the program works really, really well for 3M … Plain and simple, I’ve got options. I know I’m going to be racing. I know I’m going to be driving a car. So I’m not worried.”

Things have deteriorated from there. Despite saying two weeks ago in Kansas Biffle was “absolutely, 100 percent” not looking outside his current organization, that’s apparently not the case. Sources claim the driver’s plans lie elsewhere for 2015, that he is actively seeking other employment and that the feeling is mutual. One link in particular, direct to the Roush organization who wished to remain anonymous said he’s been told the future for Biffle involves “anything but” RFR, the only NASCAR team he’s really driven for.

If the driver, a Roush Cup full-timer since 2003, does not return next year, speculation has been rampant that he will take sponsor 3M with him. A red flag went up about that possibility on Saturday, when RFR announced that they planned to return their No. 6 to the track next year. Owner Jack Roush said that he plans for the new team, driven by Trevor Bayne, to be a fourth car, but it’s also possible he’s prepping to lose financial backing for 2015. If Biffle does walk with sponsor in tow, the driver, who has 19 career victories and has finished as high as second in the point standings, becomes a valuable commodity to a team, and in the process leaves Roush Fenway Racing in a vulnerable position going forward.

·
Just CraZy
20,749 Posts
I just thought of this, could Edwards and Biffle be unsponsored at Miami so Fastenal/3M can follow them?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Wow, if Biffle jumps ship that means RFR needs to put everything it has into keeping Edwards. If both Edwards and Biffle leave that race team is in MAJOR trouble. With Bayne already set to bring back the #6, who takes over the #16 for RFR if in fact Biffle leaves. Right now down in the NNS RFR has Ryan Reed & Chris Buescher. I don't think either are ready to step up to the Cup series, but between the two Buescher is having a better year.

They could look at a "Free Agent", but IDK that they'll find the driver their looking for. Looking over Jayski and who isn't signed past this year you have...

Jamie McMurray - I expect him back in the #1
Marcos Ambrose - Says he wants to stay with RPM
Casey Mears - Top 25 driver in average equipment
David Ragan - They tried it once, don't remember why the went separate ways
David Gilliland - 38yrs old, not in great equipment
Parker Kligerman - Limited experience in poor equipment

It doesn't seem like there is a lot out there to fill the seat (or Edwards if he leaves). I wonder if my this is the break Sam Hornish Jr. needed to get a quality ride again.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
I just thought of this, could Edwards and Biffle be unsponsored at Miami so Fastenal/3M can follow them?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
You can't fully be serious? They can't just do that and you seem to fail to remember that most contracts with RFR have a 1 year deal before being able to go another team.

Granted I wouldn't be surprised if they paid Roush to get out of it though.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
Wow, if Biffle jumps ship that means RFR needs to put everything it has into keeping Edwards. If both Edwards and Biffle leave that race team is in MAJOR trouble. With Bayne already set to bring back the #6, who takes over the #16 for RFR if in fact Biffle leaves. Right now down in the NNS RFR has Ryan Reed & Chris Buescher. I don't think either are ready to step up to the Cup series, but between the two Buescher is having a better year.

They could look at a "Free Agent", but IDK that they'll find the driver their looking for. Looking over Jayski and who isn't signed past this year you have...

Jamie McMurray - I expect him back in the #1
Marcos Ambrose - Says he wants to stay with RPM
Casey Mears - Top 25 driver in average equipment
David Ragan - They tried it once, don't remember why the went separate ways
David Gilliland - 38yrs old, not in great equipment
Parker Kligerman - Limited experience in poor equipment

It doesn't seem like there is a lot out there to fill the seat (or Edwards if he leaves). I wonder if my this is the break Sam Hornish Jr. needed to get a quality ride again.
Ambrose said this is his make or break it year, I see him headed back home wjth Penske for V8 Supercars.

Mears won't jump ship, he is running a lot better this year and I think the deal with RCR and Geico are a good fit.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
You can't fully be serious? They can't just do that and you seem to fail to remember that most contracts with RFR have a 1 year deal before being able to go another team.

I believe the sponsors can go to other teams next year. Its just that they can't follow Biffle and Edwards to those teams.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts

3M is Biffle's sponsor and they can leave with Biffle, they had a unique deal, however the rest of the sponsors at Roush are bound to the terms you mentioned.

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
3M is Biffle's sponsor and they can leave with Biffle, they had a unique deal, however the rest of the sponsors at Roush are bound to the terms you mentioned.
3m was there before they sigh on to be biffle full time sponsor in 2008 for sprint cup series

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,241 Posts
I'd love to see either Edwards or Biffle at MWR. It's looking more and more likely that one of them will end up there.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
It's a good thing, I think they are a good fit and he has some pretty nice cars over the years with them.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
3m was there before they sigh on to be biffle full time sponsor in 2008 for sprint cup series
If you read the terms of the deal to extend the sponsorship a few years ago it reads that 3M will sponsor Greg Biffle in x amount of races regardless of what car he is driving.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Just curious how do you know these things? You always seem to know contact stuff, but they don't make driver and sponsor contacts public.

Also sponsors can't be stopped from going to another team just from following the driver to another team. Roush lost Citi which was at Khi the next season and Subway which was at Gibbs the next season.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Just curious how do you know these things? You always seem to know contact stuff, but they don't make driver and sponsor contacts public.

Also sponsors can't be stopped from going to another team just from following the driver to another team. Roush lost Citi which was at Khi the next season and Subway which was at Gibbs the next season.
At lot of information is available for a short period of time on the internet if you know how and where to look and with a bit of luck. The information about Biffle's sponsorship was available briefly when 3M renewed the deal for a few hours by viewing a cache.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
At lot of information is available for a short period of time on the internet if you know how and where to look and with a bit of luck. The information about Biffle's sponsorship was available briefly when 3M renewed the deal for a few hours by viewing a cache.
Interesting thing to know.

·
Banned
10,517 Posts

Citi is One Main now and Subway was at Roush for 2004,2005,2006 then Back in 2009

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
If you read the terms of the deal to extend the sponsorship a few years ago it reads that 3M will sponsor Greg Biffle in x amount of races regardless of what car he is driving.
nope i remmber that 3m resign with roush not biffle i remmber reading about it on roush website

1 - 20 of 39 Posts