Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty interesting article on how Childers and Harvick paired up 1 1/2 years before actually debuting together.

Harvick, Childers form dynamic duo after long recruitment

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. — Their first meeting was at Richard Childress Racing.

Kevin Harvick was looking for a new crew chief after parting ways with Shane Wilson in August 2012 and had told RCR officials he was interested in Rodney Childers. Reputations "spread like wildfire" in the Sprint Cup garage, Harvick told USA TODAY Sports, and he had heard great things about Childers.

Intrigued, Childers agreed to meet with Harvick, Childress and other team officials for more than two hours. But when Childers left the meeting, something didn't feel right. He couldn't put his finger on what it was, so he sent Harvick a text message that night asking when his contract was up at RCR.

Harvick replied: "Well, we need to talk about that. Give me a few days."

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
I think I can guess what Childers was picking up on. The fact that RCR is a middle of the road team. KH just overachieved. Theres a reason wins from it's other drivers were few and far between once Bowyer left town. The Harvick/Childers combo is going to be a force as long as they are together. As a Harvick fan since 2000, I've never seen this much chemistry between him and crew chief.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts