Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Pocket Sand
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hawksworth takes St. Pete Star Mazda race two - Racer.com

Jack Hawksworth ended Connor De Phillippi's run of success to start the year, and left the season-opening Star Mazda Championship presented by Goodyear at the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg with the championship points lead.
Hawksworth, who finished second in race one on Saturday, set the race's fastest lap and therefore started on pole on Sunday. He converted that into a dominant race win over Juan Piedrahita (JDC Motorsports) and Team Pelfrey teammate Petri Suvanto.
"I had a pretty easy time of it since all the carnage was behind me, though having a race broken up with that many major full-course yellows does make it harder to concentrate and you have to be very careful about keeping the tires up to operating temperature for the re-starts," Hawksworth said. "But the Pelfrey team gave me an immaculate car that was consistent throughout the race and we were able to build a bit of a lead and bring it home well clear of the second-place car."
Race one winner De Phillippi, of Juncos Racing, only had the seventh-fastest race lap on Saturday and started there as opposed to the point on Sunday. With yellows stunting his charged, he was only able to climb to fifth by the checkered flag.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts