Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an interesting theory. I call it a theory as it isn't quite a rumour yet and is a plausible scenario I guess.
What do you Stewart guys think?
http://captainthunderracing.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3087

After the New Hampshire Nextel Cup Race in September, Tony Stewart was asked about his impending contract extension with Joe Gibbs Racing. Gibbs has been the only Nextel Cup owner Stewart has worked for in his nine year career and it seemed a given that Stewart would sign an extension without hesitation. However, Stewart’s answer to the relatively simple question raised some eyebrows on pit road. And now we may know why.

"I'm not even going to work on it any more until this season is over - seriously," said Stewart. "All these (outside) things like right now are a total distraction to what I'm trying to accomplish the rest of the season, and that's why I'm not going to do any more than I have to do until the end of the year," he said. "My goal is to win the championship and focus on the things I have to focus on to get that done."

Then a week later, NASCAR.com reported that Richard Childress would likely “hold off” on developing a fourth team to go along with his current stable of drivers, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton, and Clint Bowyer until 2009. NASCAR nation had been waiting months for Childress to name his fourth driver for 2008 and speculation was rampant as to whom the driver would be.

"We're working on it, but right now we're about at the point of no return [for next season]," said Childress.

Hmmm…Stewart isn’t ready to re-up with Gibbs (Stewart’s current contract runs through 2009), and Childress says he isn’t ready to commit to a driver yet for 2008. Coincidence? Not really.

Sources close to Richard Childress confirmed to Captain Thunder that Tony Stewart has indeed had conversations with Richard Childress about joining the RCR stables and good buddy Kevin Harvick as soon as 2008. Stewart has driven Busch Series cars for Harvick and Harvick’s wife DeLana, and the three have been very close for many years.

Why would Stewart leave Gibbs and can he? The two-time Nextel Cup champion has been rumored to be very disappointed with the switch at Joe Gibbs Racing from Chevrolet to Toyota beginning with the 2008 season, and sources say he has had serious conversations with Richard Childress about voiding his contract at seasons end.

Stewart has driven a General Motors car his entire career and he also supports the Chevy brand at the hometown racetrack he bought in New Weston, OH, Eldora Speedway. Eldora was a Mopar supported track but Stewart switched everything at the track to Chevy two years ago. Toyota has said they are fine with Stewart running and supporting Chevrolet at the track he owns, but sources say Stewart is not excited about running Toyota’s in the Nextel Cup Series.

Can he get out of his deal with JGR early? Yes! Stewart has an “out clause” in his contract and he just might use it to join RCR. His “out” is the manufacturer change to Toyota from Chevrolet. Many Nextel Cup drivers have similar clauses in their contracts allowing them to void their deals if there is a “material change” at their respective teams. The decision by JGR to change manufacturers is certainly a “material change” and it would allow Stewart to opt out of his deal early.

According to sources, Stewart and Childress have agreed to table any conversations in the media until either the Chase for the Nextel Cup is over, or Stewart is mathematically eliminated.

Hence, the comments by both follow the New Hampshire race. Nevertheless, sources also said the two have already agreed verbally on a deal that would put Stewart in a Richard Childress Chevrolet in 2008. Keep an eye on this one, “Smoke” could be a part of the bow-tie brigade next season after all. - Captain

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
If some of you remember correctly back when I posted Rumors, I said that Gibbs might go to Toyota and that the word was that Stewart might not go with them. Stewart had said that he wanted to stay in a GM car. I can remember some folks out there saying there was no way that was going to happen. Joe Gibbs was going to keep Stewart. Stewart would go with the $$ of Toyota. Well maybe now it seems that a lot more of these Rumors I heard are becoming facts as the 2007 season comes to a end. i sure wish New2 would come back! Seems like more and more of his reports keep falling in to place. It sure would be nice to have some inside scoops to hear from now and then!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Here's the posting from back in July. Only part that hasn't materalised is the Johnson moving from Hendricks.

Rumors?
« on: July 27, 2007, 10:04:57 AM » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was talking to a good friend that works the tracks on the east coast doing news reports. He told me last night that the new news leaking out of the Garages is Dale Jr. will be driving for Mountain Dew next tear. Still no news on what # he will actually be running. Other news on the front is that Jimmie Johnson may be leaving Hendricks and drive for JGM next year. The word there is that Jimmie Johnson is getting to big for his britches, ( NO you don't say :doh: ) That's Jeff Gordon Motorsports?? If and I say if that happens then the next piece of news to unfold behind that is that Tony Stewart may be leaving Joe Gibbs racing. Tony Stated to several New media personel that he has no intrest driving for Toyota no matter who the team owner is or what amount of money is put in front of him. He will drive a Chevy or he won't drive. Now here is where it really gets intresting. Is Joe Gibbs going to Toyota next year? If all this unfolds then Hendricks is already talking to Stewart about moving over to Hendricks if that takes place. There are also a number of other off season rumors floating around the track but most have no leads to where they will be going. But here are the names of those that may be leaving to go to other teams next year. J.J. Yeley, Elliot Sadler, Reed Sorenson, Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch, Of course we know that Kyle Busch is moving on to another team. I just thought a lot of this news was intresting and something to watch, but again all these may be some just rumors or some may be happening and others not. Guess we will watch and see what actually unfolds later this year!!!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If and/or when Smoke leaves JGR, will Zippy go w/him? They have had a great career together, but at times when Tony has stuck his foot in his mouth, you could tell by his facial expressions and his body languauge that he was getting tired of this stuff. It will be interesting to see if he goes. RCR is the real winner in this scenario. He gets an excellent driver, and an excellent sponser and possibly an excellent crew chief and doesn't have to do anything as far as assembling things. Wadda deal huh? Can you say "Plug and Play?" LOL! They are gonna be on the same plane as Hendrick.
Roush, Ganassi, Penske and JGR will be second tier teams compared to RCR after this little aquisition.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't see it happening, I think Tony will finish out with JGR and retire in 2009. I think a lot of people are just bent about the move, Tony probably is too since he just singed that big deal with Chevy to supply his sprint cars with their engines. But I don't see him jumping the coach's ship.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I don't see Tony staying with Gibbs and their new manufacturer in Toyota. Toyota hasn't proven they have what it takes to be competitive and compete for wins on a weekly basis in the Cup Series unlike GM and others. Toyota has had some bright spots this season I'll give them that but they haven't been running up front on a consistent basis. The lack of success is the main reason I don't see Tony staying with Gibbs.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's really hard to judge Toyota's equipment though. Look at the teams that are running them. I am a huge Dave Blaney fan, but nobody running a Toyota, Dave included has shown that they have the ability to run up front on a weekly bassis before they went to Toyota, so to base the judgement of the equipment based on their current performance is not an accurate depiction.
I don't see him staying either, but not based on whether he'd be competitive in a Toyota or not, but based on contractual agreements now and in the future and off track consideratuons, such as his track and his sprint car teams.
Here's an example. When he purchased the Eldora Speedway, the official vehicle there was Dodge and his sprintcar teams were Mopar powered. Next thing you know, the official vehicle at Eldora is Chevrolet and his sprintcar teams are now Chevy. He is a smart business man and he know's where his bread is buttered.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Valid argument Fighter. I still can't believe Toyota said Michael Waltrip Racing was going to be their flagship team! Waltrip has never been a great driver, DJ is on the downside of his career, and Reuttimann is a rookie who hasn't had any experience in a car as he ran the trucks last year. Big mistake there.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dale was used for his provisionals and Reutiman was a cheap investment so the money could be poured into Jarrett and the Micheal Waltrip Museum. I think Mikey thought he would do better than he did, and as we have seen, he didn't.
Now Mickey is stuck as Reutiman is his best driver. Wonder who he will use next year when he steps on his own "Dick" again (no disrespect to any Waltrip fans out there) and there isn't the provisionals he needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts