Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Godfather's Blog
How Josh Wise Made The NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race

A spokesperson for the dogecoin and reddit online communities outlined in detail today the techniques used by himself and his fellow members to vote John Wish into the 2014 NASCAR Sprint All Star Race.
Dogecoin, an online internet currency, sponsored Wise at Talladega Superspeedway three weeks ago, and organized through reddit.com to vote their driver into the All-Star Race, prevailing over presumed favorite Danica Patrick and others. Immediately following last night’s announcement, speculation surfaced that Wise may have benefitted from an automated vote-casting program, or bot, which bypassed online tests designed to prove that voters are actual human beings. These test are referred to as captchas.
A reddit.com user identified by the screen name ihaveabulldogerefuted those charges, saying, “Those saying we used a bot… are incorrect. You need a human to solve those. How did we vote so fast? Skills.
“(We) read the rules (and) realized we could vote unlimited times with double votes on (Sprint) mobile. I personally was on the slow end and could bang out 2-3 votes per minute on mobile, depending on captcha difficulty. So in one hour of hardcore voting, that is a minimum of 120 votes from just one person. We have over 80k subscribers and a ton more people on reddit to help.

He revealed that at first, there was no captcha technology on NASCAR’s Fan Vote site.
“Once we started, NASCAR implemented the captcha,” he wrote. “Instead of discouraging us, it actually helped us, since many fans of dogecoin and Josh Wise are also skilled at the internet. (We) voted quickly by using the back button (to solve) the captcha each vote...instead of re-clicking through 2 other pages. Simply put, instead of using a mouse to slowly click, we used a keyboard shortcut for `go back.'
“We knew our adversary and the awesome fan base we would be up against,” he wrote. “They are a dedicated bunch, so we knew we would have to vote nonstop and whenever we could in order to have a chance. There was no paying for extra votes, or hiring offshore (voters) as some people have theorized. We did NOT use bots, as a bot cannot beat a captcha. It was good ol’ fashioned crowd-sourced voting.
“We had a vested interest in Josh winning,” wrote ihaveabulldoge.“A lot of people donated a lot of dogecoin to get the sponsorship (and) that means that a piece of us -- no matter how small -- was plastered on that car. It was more important for us to win, because we invested real money. Sponsored drivers have a big company behind them, but we had a group of individuals.
“Community members started streaming their votes live and showing off their speed voting skills.”
The entire online post may be seen at Info for news Outlets and angry nascar fans thinking we cheated the vote...how we won. : dogecoin
Posted byDave Moodyat2:42 PM20 comments:

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
I love it...its that old saying, "knowledge is power." The system is flawed anyways with the most popular driver going in by vote and not earning his way by performance. I'm a Dale Jr fan, but let's face it, the rule was created for him in the first place when NASCAR realized by fluke, he was not eligible for the race by performance.

Can you imagine the further outcry if this would have been the year Jr was ineligible and needed to get in by vote, only to be beat out by Wise and his supporters.

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
Can vote had been going on for 10 years. I can't say I am a fan of it but it should be there since it's the all star race. Personally I liked the format of the open race and then a last chance race like they had from 2000-2002.

·
AKA Leadfoot
125,713 Posts
I read about this earlier this morning on Facebook. They found a way around the system and beat it. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

·
Closeted Logano Fan
23,969 Posts
The race passed already. Why do people still care how Josh got in. He made it, he finished, life moves on.

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
Because they invest time into a cause they believe in? Okay
"A cause they believe in".....what "cause" is that??? Getting a NASCAR driver into a race! "Believe in".....that's classic. You react like you're fighting for human rights or something. If you're voting for something so trivial 2-3 times per minute you need a hobby or help. Just my opinion and there's no reason to go back/forth on this. "Okay."

·
Premium Member
24,079 Posts
I can't really decide what to think. On the one hand, Internet voting is terrible. There's too many ways to manipulate it. Narain Karthikeyan was voted the most popular driver in the Truck series a few years ago even though he only ran a partial season. The reason was the whole country of India was voting for him.

On the other hand, I haven't given a crap about the All-Star race in a decade. NASCAR changes the rules every year to fit what they think will make it exciting. Winning it has little meaning anymore. I didn't watch the race on Saturday. I think maybe the last time I watched was when Edwards won. I don't remember. NASCAR, the fans, Internet message boards can do whatever in terms of the all-star race. It doesn't mean squat.

·
58 wins, 4x champ in ARS
9,162 Posts
I look at this with a potential positive for Wise. If he can show he's decent enough to run top 20 in that piece of junk then this ASR bid will help him get a ride. This though likely will have no effect on the team, who probably will still not be able to build a competitive car.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
I love this, they won and everyone else lost, no reason to make a huge deal about it. I think its really cool that someones small idea on an internet forum has grown into something so huge and went places they never dreamed it would go. Good for Josh, PPR, and Dogecoin.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,087 Posts
once again supporting the idea, money talks and bullshit walks..all the cyber traffic about this meme and it's popularity is falsely inflated by a group of radical zealots. There has been a subversive financial stake in NASCAR for a long time trying to back these causes for years. Just proof in the print. whateva...good luck josh and the legion of dipshits who proved they can vote him in but cannot vote him more talent.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,087 Posts
I love this, they won and everyone else lost, no reason to make a huge deal about it. I think its really cool that someones small idea on an internet forum has grown into something so huge and went places they never dreamed it would go. Good for Josh, PPR, and Dogecoin.
well...making one race and proving he's a rear of the pack talent then spouting off how they tricked the system isn't really a lasting accomplishment. Yeah they snuck in a race...and in a month it will all be forgotten.

·
Gordon to Blaney
5,573 Posts
I can guarantee now that NASCAR changes up future voting.
I really feel like you should have to login to your account and only be able to vote once. I guess someone could make a bunch of accounts if they really wanted to, but the results would still be a lot more legit. Being able to vote unlimited times is ridiculous to me.

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

NASCAR is to blame to allow an internet based fan vote. The Dogecoin supporters did nothing wrong, they just played the game better then anybody else this year.

I personally think the fan vote is unnecessary for this event. If someone couldn't qualify for the Allstar, that's what the Open is for. To prevent this in the future maybe the fan vote should be limited to the ticket holders in the stands. As they enter the gate, they drop in their vote in a ballot box.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts