Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
No Agony, No Bragony
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Along the same lines as some of the fantasy or holiday car discussions I've seen on here I'd like to add some more fuel to the fire.
The picture of Harvick Reeese's Car above is currently on the market. What's the big deal you ask? Kevin has not raced that paint scheme on that type of car this year and never will. He raced a COT version at Richmond earlier this year and this weekend he will race a special Elvis Reese's paint scheme at Indianapolis. Will MA produce the Elvis paint scheme? They were going to but cancelled it. So unless he wins this weekend the Harvick fan is SOL and they may not produce the COT version either. Once again MA is too busy producing holiday or plutonium versions to produce paint schemes that are actually ran, and in this case they just didn't do their homework to realize Kevin won't run this car. Luckily, I didn't buy any of these. Maybe I'll buy some next year when they are marked down to use as donor cars for the paint schemes they didn't produce this year.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
Same old story. This is probably my last year as an avid collector. I doubt I will buy anymore WC cars once the year is concluded. Thinking being I can sell each group as "a set" if they are complete through a certain year. Probably makes no difference.
I will keep buying the PitStops, and either the RCCA elites or the Drivers Select, but not both.

I will buy any WC cars that were not produced by anyone else, ie a raced win or something like that, but I have just had enough of the same car over and over and over ... hood version, pit board version, schedule version, coin version ... shit man, enough is enough.

When they said the would not make the 07 Perf Alliance car, and instead chose to put out another version of the Pepsi and Dupont car they lost me.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
It is ashame that MA doesn't listen to the true collectors. Yes like Blacker said, the same paint schemes in so many trinkets is downright getting old. Add to that the total inaccuarcy of the diecast being produced along with producing all these NON run diecast over diecast that have significant history or meaning to them. I feel like and may be wrong but the car mentioned (Harvick Reeses 2007) was already scheduled for release BEFORE MA was aware of the COT going to be run for the additional races this year. When it was posted the first of the season that paint scheme was supposed to be run twice, along with the Shell platinum being run twice. I know the Shell platnium will be a COT and run at the night bristol race. As for the second time the reeses paint scheme was to be run I can't find in a quick search but will post if I do. That being said that is more of a MA mistake than just not making a paint scheme. It wasn't done intentional to be a fantasy paint scheme although it looks to be only that. That being said it will be intresting to see if MA actually does produce: Shell Std. Shell COT, Reeses std. Reeses COT, Shell platinum, Shell platinum COT, Busch: Autozone, camping world, Dollar Gen.& road loans. I know some of these have already been released and some are sceduled but like last year will they actually get produced or will the get cancelled because MA feels it's more profitable to make all the other Fantasy: colorchrome, liguid color, holiday, white gold, platinum, mesma chrome, copper chrome B.S. cars. Why can't they get it thru there simple little minds?? All we the collectors really want are a 1/64th version and a 1/24th version of the actual paint schemes run. Once they can just get that down then work on the total number to produce to satisfy the market without flooding it. That way all the drivers could have diecast out there and the collectors could purchase a paint scheme or scale size they chose to collect and not get burnt out on collecting and enjoy the hobby for a lot longer. Seems so simple but again......................................................How stupid can MA be?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Amen to that. I was wanting the Ward Burton USAF 60th Anniversary car in 1/24th WC but did they make it? Nope. Shame. I would have probably bought everyone of the American Heroes cars in 1/24th if they made them. Oh well. I guess I save my money. I wish they would come out with more Harvick stuff in the WC line. I would really like the Reese's car in 24th scale this year but I don't think I will be seeing that one either.

·
Registered
326 Posts
No Real Change IN WC

MA Winner’s Circle is not doing anything different than Hasbro or Action. All seem to be in the recycling business. Releasing the same cars over and over year after year in different packaging or trading cards. Rather have the cards than the “Trinket’s.”

One of the biggest disappointments in WC was the “Lifetime Series.” It would have been nice if each series was different cars. But no they just recycled with different cards. Then let’s not forget their failure to complete some of the sets.

As far as verity and sets go RC did the best. The 50 Years of Petty, 50 Years of NASCAR, Stock Rods, and so on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The year is more than half over, still havent seen any standard scheme hoods.
One set of 1/24 cars so far.
Fathers Day Tins never got to Detroit, only one Wally ever got the American Heroes display. :doh:
Still coming out real slow.
Wonder if MA is killing off the retail store line?

·
Registered
326 Posts
40intrepid said:
The year is more than half over, still havent seen any standard scheme hoods.
One set of 1/24 cars so far.
Fathers Day Tins never got to Detroit, only one Wally ever got the American Heroes display. :doh:
Still coming out real slow.
Wonder if MA is killing off the retail store line?
In defense of MA (sorta) the real question is, Is it MA or the stores. The July 22 I made a 300 trip to OK. I set the route so I could visit the maximum number of Wal Marts, 12, and Targets 4.

Most of the stores had very little to offer. Of the 12 Wal Marts only 5 had the AH cars. 3 had the first wave of the Driver hoods and 2 others had the second wave of driver hoods. A coupler of the Wal Marts had no cars period, not even a place to put them. They did have a lot of 2006 1/18th cars..

The Targets did have the AH HO and 3/9 87th sets. But they were very limited.

I know that up until DE Sr. passed away may of the Stores had complete Isles dedicated to NASCAR Diecast. After DE Sr. passed the shelves were emptied and any stocking after that has been limited.

In short I have to assume what a store carries depends on what they think they can sell. Because many had got burned with excess inventory they limit the amount they carry. It is had to find a store that keeps its inventory updated.

The way I see it if anyone is at fault it is the fans. They are going away and not buying so the stores are not stocking, simple business econimics.

·
Legendary Member
25,290 Posts
Remember the Looney Tunes cars disaster? How long did those cars warm the pegs?

·
Registered
326 Posts
WA/AC ot the Stores

Let’s face it the interest in NASCAR Diecast is diminishing slowly but surely. I visit many stores that have two to three tear old cars still hanging on the pegs or sitting on the shelves.

In my part of the country there are only three sources for NASCAR die cast, Wal Mart, Target and e-Bay. Gone are most of the other sources that were there in the past.

Last month I went to the Flea Market in Canton, Texas, which is one of the largest in the country. I only came across one vendor selling NASCAR Diecast and most of the inventory was old stuff. In the past there would be many vendors of NASCAR Diecast to be found at flea markets everywhere. Not any more.

Also gone are the many independent as well as franchised stores that dealt in NASCAR Diecast.

So it all boils down to supply and demand. If there is no demand then there is no supply.

The interest in 1/18 NASCAR Diecast appears to be dead or as far a Kane and Stewart goes. Every Wal Mart that I visit has at least one if not two of each and have had them for several months now. And many stores still have a supply of 2006 18th cars.

So the lack of availability may be more the results of stores hesitant to carry merchandise they cannot sell as opposed to MA/WC.

Of course MA/WC lack of verity has not helped as I see many posts by collectors who are not happy about the same cars being released over and over. The 64th with different trinkets, the rest just standard cars for the most part.

As of this date I have only see the Dale The Movie Hood cars in one Target. They had 12 but I only bought 10, 2 were duplicates. The other two I had to get on e-Bay. I got the Acrylic case set by Pit Row from one of the internet vendors because I could get all 12 for a reasonable price including shipping.

Of course the same was true for the 2006 HOF cars. I know of only one store in a 50 mile area that had them and then it was the 5 Car 64th set and the 24th cars. No hood cars. I had to get them on e-bay.

MA/WC can produce them but getting store to sell then is another story.

·
Legendary Member
25,290 Posts
Well, here the story is similiar. The American Heroes cars were just about impossible to find, and I live in a heavily populated Armed Forces area, so go figure. I actually bought them from someone off of the WCCollector site, but I was able to buy a complete set, thank goodness. If I would have had to buy them individually, it would have cost a small fortune!! The 1/18th Scale AND the 1/87 scale continue to sit on the shelves around here, and the 1/64 cars are starting to pile up, especially the Gordon and Johnson cars because they're just not that popular in this part of the country.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Never saw the Fathers Day Tins up here either. Have found a few of the American Heros 3 car sets, haulers and 1/24s at a Target but no 1/64 hoods. Last week I finally found the first wave of the 1/64 regular hoods and they had a few pitboards as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How Many Per Driver

From a collectors standpoint it would be interesting to know the quantities released for each driver. I know Beckett and Die Cast Digest used to provide that info. Otherwise it depends on the drivers left after they hit the store. Here Gordon and Johnson and other Chevrolet Drivers go first. Plenty of Kane, Stewart, and surprisingly DE Jr. (Youth Version) cars are still available along with the other Ford, Dodge, and Toyota Drivers. Especially the Toyota cars they do not appear too be very popular here.

I have to smile when I see cars on e-Bay claiming to be “Rare or Hard to Find” when they are clogging up the displays in my local stores.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
i see it to be an up and down market. last year we were several months behind sometimes on when we saw a new release around here. and trust me in between Larkin and I we hit about a total of about 25 walmarts and at least 10 targets and a handful of kmarts every month, sometimes once a week. but now this year we dont have to go as far but to our local walmart and we have saw every release with in a 20 mile driving radius. now 2 years ago it was the same thing but last year sucked, now was it WC or the stores around here. now also last year there were some peg warmers left over and as long as there were cars they didnt order. i do believe they need to limit what they order out and not just send it out to the stores as its there. try and figure out a way that if the store has already got a certain mix send out a case of the next mix and not flood the store with the same mix over and over again

and yea spool i think we all remember the looney toons mix. over aroung Talladega they are still there in 1:64 and 1:24.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
The whole die cast market is in shambles right now. I have been waiting for a month now for my PitStop Dept of Defence car ... patience is not my strongest virture, but anyways last week my NASCAR store calls me to let me know that my Dupont COT is in, and bad news, the Pit Stop DOD has been cancelled and wont be put out.

I had to get on ebay and show her a picture of one to let her know that no matter what her distributor was telling her, that car was not cancelled. I did not want to wait for him and her to work it out so I told her just continue getting everything else and I would get if off the bay. Cost me $13 (with shipping) instead of the $6 she charges me ... but damn ... what is the world coming to when the dealers do not even know what the hell is going on?

·
Legendary Member
25,290 Posts
I am lucky to have three dealers locally, but one has been blackballed by MA and gets his stuff through a third party. I hate to order my stuff online because if a car is damage you're pretty much screwed. I HATE to preorder stuff, but MA seems to want everyone to pre-order so they know how many cars are sold before they're even produced (which is a totally shitty way to do business), but I guess when you have the monopoly, you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Ohio29 said:
GRRRRRR, COT reeses is canceled, What the hell else is new!!!!!!!!
WTF....Where did you find this info? This is starting to become the end of the line. If MA continues doing business this way I'm considering writing a letter to MA. I don't know how much longer I can contiue collecting at the rate MA is cancelling cars that have been run and producing cars that have never been run.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.