Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
I don't understand what the point is either. I don't collect WC much at all just a few random ones. But just collect what you want and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Just have fun collecting thats what its all about anyway.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I started out with Winner's Circle, but my collection has basically outgrown me, and now some cars have to go. Winner's Circle are like the gateway drug of diecast-- they suck you in to the more expensive versions-- first the ARC standard pieces, and then the elites!! Obviously, if cars have to go to make room, then the less expensive cars are the first to go.

I do, however, prefer my 1/64 Winner's Circle because I actually like the packaging, and I have continued to collect the select driver's (Actually only Dale Jr. through this year) in that scale. As I inventory and organize, a bunch of my WC 1/24's, 1/64's and haulers will be moved via a "fire sale" because I just don't have room for them any more. I have been collection for over 6 years now and it all comes to a point when you just can't keep everything because you just don't have room for it. If I had it my way, I would find a way to display it all.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious why people prefer the Action/MA cars over the Winners Circle cars. Primarily higher detail. What always puzzled me was the people who didn't want the GM Dealers cars. They are essentially the same, except for a different chassis color. And since the chassis color is different and the production is lower, it is a rarer die-cast, so in my mind, that would make it more collectible.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
I've never cared about the GM Dealers cars. I have a couple. And the reason why I bought one of them is because they were actually cheaper. I don't understand the need for such cars. Do they really sell better because of the lower production? I haven't noticed this as being the case.

As for Winner's Circle cars. I've never cared for them. Unless they only do a certain paint scheme in WC (which has been the case for RC in the past), I don't bother. I can save my $20 and put it towards a nicer car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
RC 2000 matt kenseth warpaint is worth 250-500 rare! hmm maybe some of your wc may be worth alot. I prefer the nicer detail cars!like first choice and owners elites!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
taterracing said:
I've never cared about the GM Dealers cars. I have a couple. And the reason why I bought one of them is because they were actually cheaper. I don't understand the need for such cars. Do they really sell better because of the lower production? I haven't noticed this as being the case.

As for Winner's Circle cars. I've never cared for them. Unless they only do a certain paint scheme in WC (which has been the case for RC in the past), I don't bother. I can save my $20 and put it towards a nicer car.
Some cars are considered more valuable if there are lower numbers produced, but then again, there are cars that they produced a ton of, that are/were very collectible. I guess it is a strange hobby, w/no rhyme or reason as to what is/will be collectible.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh, for me now it doesn't matter. I'll be collecting the Tony Stewart 1/64's of any brand...whatever ones I find first. For 1/24's I'll be getting Winner's Circle cars. It's just a paint scheme to me...that's all I care about.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
I've hated Winner's Circle since Day 1. (I remember day 1, as well, I got my first two the week of the 1997 Daytona 500. My first WC car was the Jeff Gordon Chroma Premier car he ran in the 1997 Busch Clash).

Poor quality overall. Racing Champions has has rubber tires since 1992, and window detail since 1998.

Winner's Circle has no excuse for being a decade behind the times. One thing I did prefer of them was in the early days, they used the old body, that Action used briefly before switching to that God-awfull wide body car in 1996. That was the only real reason to buy them at the time.

Now a days I only get Winner's Circle when the car is ONLY availabe in that form. And with stupid Action, that pretty much is the only way to get a car. But that's a whole other topic. They are good for custom work. Cheap, easy to dissasemble, and easy to strip, as they don't generally have the crappy clearcoat Driver's Select cars have.

What I don't understand, is why Winner's Circle is so popular. They have been crappy for a decade, and don't deserve the loyalty they have.

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
My opinion on the whole thing is that there are many different kinds of collectors. They range from low interest in the sport to high interest in the sport. They vary from Gordon fans to Boris Said fans. They also range from high income to low income to single collectors to married collectors who have one kid and two mortgages. What I'm getting at is that if the financial means are available, then a lot of collectors will get the highest quality product they can of their favorite driver. I put myself in the pigeon hole of being a guy that wants every paint scheme that Bobby ran and I'm usually able to pony out the cash necessary as long as I don't feel I'm overpaying. I'm not going to pay 65 bucks for his COT when I can wait a few months and pay half that amount. The only reason that I will buy a Winners Circle anymore is if its the only way to get a necessary paint scheme. On the other side of the token, I know I could have paid cheaper for a 2005 Interstate Batteries 1/24 Winners Circle than an Action, but I know the Action is more metal than plastic and the detail is a LOT better. There have been times where I've upgraded a piece of my collection to an Elite because of a superb price. It's a matter of the quality that you want for the money you have to spend and in the grand scheme of things, you get what you pay for.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
diecastjunkie17 said:
RC 2000 matt kenseth warpaint is worth 250-500 rare! hmm maybe some of your wc may be worth alot. I prefer the nicer detail cars!like first choice and owners elites!
Are we talking book value or what someone will actually pay?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
i understand both points, but for some people including myself its a money issue. i would love to dish out $65.00 or higher for a better made car, but just can't. i only collect truex stuff for the most part now anyways so if i can get in w/c thats fine with me. been buying w/c since 96 or 97 whenever they first came out. at the time it really nice to see dale sr. cars in places like k-mart and or wal-marts. i do buy other drivers, but depends on the paint scheme.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Guess, I'm the odd man out here! 50% of my diecast are winners circle. Inexpensive, good selection of paint schemes, Oh and then there was WcCollector. The ONLY place where you could follow what had been released and try to fill in each paint scheme, keep track of it and know what you had and what you didn't without digging out boxes to find them. Well back when it was accuratly kept up I worked very hard at trying to complete the 1/64th collection. I think I have every 1/64th paint scheme produced, and most of the variations. But like others room runs out you start collecting nicer diecast and the hobby makes it's twist on all of us. I started my 1/24th collection with strictly WC then bought one or two Action cars, which lead to I had to have an Elite for my collection. Never went all out for the Elites but when you see someone with primarily Elite 1/24th's of a driver you see what you are missing! If I collected elites, I wouldn't be out of room. and I would have a collection I could sit back and call it an accomplishment! But then again I wouldn't have the history I have in diecast either. Billy knows what I mean there! When you have such a large 1/64th collection and you can go back and look at the old paint schemes, the old body styles and the years of enjoyment. Does it really matter if it is WC or Elite, only in the eyes of the collector. I've decided it's time to make that cut back in my collecting. WC 1/64th's will still be one of my top collections! Not that I like all the stupid trinkets and variations! I don't, not that WC does a fantastic job, They don't! It's a collection I have worked on for over a decade now and later on when it comes down to pass it on. SOMEONE, ( hopefully my grandson! LOL) will have almost if not every WC 1/64th produced for the mass market. If your granddad would have passed that down to any of you, would you have loved to be able to go back and see NASCAR history and own it like that? I know I would have!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Yes Sir I would. That would be a true gift that anyone would be proud to own. That is a true piece of history. I think that WC in 1/64th are just as nice as any others, as the hood open 1/64ths are just a car w/a lump in the engine bay. I like Elites also, but I prefer the regular 1/24 car, because I like the colorful packaging. The Elites are all alike, the black jewel box, which you cannot use to display as they get dust on the felt and then are ruined. The sleeves are all alike as well. There are shortcommings w/them all. It's all in what YOU like. To each his own, and we all like different things, but we all like racing and die-cast and that's what keeps us all together. Let's stay somewhat unified, if only to keep the hobby alive and going strong! Long live the hobby, and death to ACTION/MA! LOL!

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts
careful what you wish for ken, death to action/ma means death to all of our hobby due to the fact that they seem to have the monopoly on the market.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
It was a Joke there guy. Besides, w/o Action, there would still be TC, RC, and others.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
I started ass backwards....from 1/24 ARC's to WC 1/64....I have no room left...hell 99% of my cars are now four hours away from me. I've almost totally stopped collecting. WC are not worth over $5 to me they raise the price and change hardly nothing about the cars. Same goes with the ARC 1/24s prices have gone up over $20 in last the 3 years or so and not much has changed. I have two members here to take care of very soon (hopefully). I decided to "jump" into making my life what I want it to be and will be the first to admit that money isn't easy right now. More stuff piles up less cash comes in. Not to mention some of us would have awesome incomes if we didn't spend $65 bucks on a car let alone $20 on a cheapy. I love my collection...and I feel since Ken took care of me with a Fastbreak car it's finished. I didn't collect all for me I collected with my father maybe someday I can find that love again in collecting with my kids but until that time comes it's not fun anymore now I see a car, see the price and say screw it.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Johnson And Jr Fan said:
Yeah .......... Until they went UNDER because of MA
Johnson And Jr Fan said:
Yeah .......... Until they went UNDER because of MA
TC was bought out by Action. RC chose to quit making NASCAR collectibles. We now have CFS. There will always be someone who wants to make the cars. If Action crumbled tomorrow, there would be at least one company, and sombody like Jack Roush w/enough cash to start another to pick up where they left off.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
I just stick to Scott Wimmer and Stephen Leicht now 1/24, and I get the new Kahne regular paint scheme every year from MA. WC doesn't make Leicht or Wimmer first of all, and second I'd rather put my 20 dollars into getting a nice detailed, overall better looking car. You notice a huge paint difference in WC and MA, at least I do. Also the little details just make it look that much better. Looks like I might have to slim my collection down to Scott Wimmers this year since I haven't seen anything about Stephen getting a ride, and since I have all the Wimmers made so far except one, all the Nadeaus, and Leichts, I might just be getting the new Wimmer if its made and that one more I need to have them all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts