Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Do people read these?
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some donors. Alot of them got messed up from when I painted them before. My paint stripper won't take all the dried spray paint off.

What do I do?

·
yes i am crazy and i can prove it
6,970 Posts
[MENTION=2556]nascarman2924[/MENTION]
you can get them at home depot or lowes.
they are softer then a reg. wire wheel and wont scrach as bad.
just mak sure you were glasses when u use it because the brissels some times break off.

·
yes i am crazy and i can prove it
6,970 Posts
@nascarman2924
there not much maybe 5.00 not to sure it goes on your drill
you might even be able to get one at walmart or target or even k-mart

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
oh crap...be careful...if you put grooves in the diecast metal...you are 'done'...they will show through primer etc...another simple fix no matter what, assuming you have all the plastic removed from the body, purchase some Kleenstrip aircraft stripper...spray it on, watch it work, wipe it off, it will eat through any paint including the new wraps with heavier clearcoat. Stuff is amazing. Costs about ten bucks for a can and you can find it at wallyworld or most automotive stores like o'reileys.

Item Detail

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
oh crap...be careful...if you put grooves in the diecast metal...you are 'done'...they will show through primer etc...another simple fix no matter what, assuming you have all the plastic removed from the body, purchase some Kleenstrip aircraft stripper...spray it on, watch it work, wipe it off, it will eat through any paint including the new wraps with heavier clearcoat. Stuff is amazing. Costs about ten bucks for a can and you can find it at wallyworld or most automotive stores like o'reileys.

Item Detail
thats what i used, worked great!!:biggrin:

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Grooves and scratches on the diecast body are pretty bad.
Still not the end of the world. I used a spray on filler/primer and fine sandpaper to block it after the filler set.

That filled all small groves and pockmarks the diecast body I used showed.

·
Do people read these?
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to let everyone know. I got the paint chips off fine. Not any scratches or groves that i've noticed. But thanks for the help!

·
Old School Builder
516 Posts
Diecast only, do not use these methods with plastic bodies!

You could try some Easy Off Oven Cleaner in the blue can. Just make sure you do it in a well-ventilated area. Spray it on, let it bubble up, then using an old toothbrush, scrub the remaining paint away. Be sure to wear some kind of vinyl work gloves as your skin will NOT like what the oven cleaner does to it.

A second choice would be to by a gallon can of 98% isopropyl alcohol, pour it into a metal container like a bread baking pan, then submerge the diecast body in there for a day or so. The paint should flake right off. Either method, be sure to use protective gloves and eyewear so you don't get any of this where you don't want it.

Hope that helps?

Scott (Vin)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts