Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rockin' & Racin'
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently tried to attend a few events at National Trails Dragway in Columbus Ohio, as I live not far at all from there. You could say: "I'm STUCK in old school racing"...
The last times I was there as a spectator was in the late 80s and early 90s with my sons. Then again in the early 2000s when I built an 82 Mustang GT to race in the NMRA. (National Mustang Racers Association)
Even going to the events with my sons, I realized allot was missing from when I practically lived at the strip during the 70s.Allot of the racers and cars I was familiar with and knew of were no longer racing. It was still quite exciting and we had allot of fun.

After the first couple of years, that "ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR" began creeping in as sponsors began handing out big bucks to some of the guys who, like the rest of us built our Stangs in our garages and out of our own pockets. I refused to go that route. My car sat for a few years as cancer cane along and I was involved in a huge battle there as well as not being able to compete with the guys with the big money behind them. Slowly but surely my medical bills were adding up faster than any calculator could add. Even though I did have pretty decent health coverage, those co-pays and out of pocket expenses sky rocketed. In mid 2007 I had to list my Mustang, trailer, and spare engine and transmission all for sale. It broke my heart completely watching that man haul my car and trailer away.
I am pretty glad for the internet and You~Tube. I get allot of enjoyment now, watching those old school guys slug it out in their days with the videos available, as well as playing with my little "OLD SCHOOL" cars...LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,766 Posts
I have recently tried to attend a few events at National Trails Dragway in Columbus Ohio, as I live not far at all from there. You could say: "I'm STUCK in old school racing"...
The last times I was there as a spectator was in the late 80s and early 90s with my sons. Then again in the early 2000s when I built an 82 Mustang GT to race in the NMRA. (National Mustang Racers Association)
Even going to the events with my sons, I realized allot was missing from when I practically lived at the strip during the 70s.Allot of the racers and cars I was familiar with and knew of were no longer racing. It was still quite exciting and we had allot of fun.

View attachment 729115
View attachment 729116
View attachment 729119
View attachment 729117 View attachment 729118

After the first couple of years, that "ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR" began creeping in as sponsors began handing out big bucks to some of the guys who, like the rest of us built our Stangs in our garages and out of our own pockets. I refused to go that route. My car sat for a few years as cancer cane along and I was involved in a huge battle there as well as not being able to compete with the guys with the big money behind them. Slowly but surely my medical bills were adding up faster than any calculator could add. Even though I did have pretty decent health coverage, those co-pays and out of pocket expenses sky rocketed. In mid 2007 I had to list my Mustang, trailer, and spare engine and transmission all for sale. It broke my heart completely watching that man haul my car and trailer away.
I am pretty glad for the internet and You~Tube. I get allot of enjoyment now, watching those old school guys slug it out in their days with the videos available, as well as playing with my little "OLD SCHOOL" cars...LOL

View attachment 729120 .
View attachment 729121
View attachment 729123
View attachment 729124
Mopar Missile rocks!!

·
just old school
6,163 Posts

View attachment 729115
View attachment 729116
View attachment 729119
View attachment 729117 View attachment 729118

View attachment 729120 .
View attachment 729121
View attachment 729123
View attachment 729124
Awesome Sox and Martin Duster/Demon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts