Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Race 2 of 16

Race
- Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama

Location - Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL

Date - Sunday, April 1st

Time & TV Schedule - Pre-Race Show - 2:00PM , Green Flag -2:45PM - NBC Sports Network

Course Type - 2.38 Mile Road Course

Distance - 90 Laps / 214.2 Miles

Practice Sessions -

Friday, March 30th -1:30-2:00pm Group A & 2:00-2:30pm Group B / 4:30-5:30pm Eastern
Saturday, March 31st - 9:00AM-9:20AM Eastern
Sunday, April 1st - 9:40 -10:10am Eastern- Warm-UP

Qualifications - Saturday, March 31st - 10:40am-11:55am Eastern

2011 Pole Sitter -#12 Will Power - 1:11.4546 / 115.878 MPH

2011 Winner - #12 Will Power

**Note - All times listed in Eastern Time, Alabama is 1 hour behind (CDT) Time.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Two weeks in a row? I can't handle the excitement lol.

From what I remember last year, it was kind of hard to pass here, wasn't it?

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two weeks in a row? I can't handle the excitement lol.

From what I remember last year, it was kind of hard to pass here, wasn't it?
Yes, it's a narrow track. I love Indycar but I think we may be in for a follow-the-leader on this race, even more so than St. Pete.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
any idea when the entry list for this race will be released?

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any idea when the entry list for this race will be released?
I figured it would of been released today. Definitely should be tomorrow. The list should be the same as St. Pete. I will post it as soon as I get it.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
I figured it would of been released today. Definitely should be tomorrow. The list should be the same as St. Pete. I will post it as soon as I get it.
thanks. i wasn't sure if it was already out on the site or not. i hate the new indycar site, i can't find anything on it.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks. i wasn't sure if it was already out on the site or not. i hate the new indycar site, i can't find anything on it.
Yeah, the new site looks good but its harder than heck to find any information.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Practice Groups for Friday, March 30th. All drivers outside of the top 10 in points and rookies are in Group A and get the extra half hour.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6hnyWiyEE"]Virtual Lap of Barber Motorsports Park - YouTube[/ame]

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do they still broadcast the Indy Lights races on VS? I seem to remember the Lights race here last year being pretty good.
Well Versus is no more. NBC bought them out. It's now called NBC Sports Network. The IndyLights race that will be live is the Freedom 100 on May 25th at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The Iowa race on June 22, and the Edmonton race on July 21 will have same day coverage but I dont believe it will be live, it will be a tape delay.

While the remaining 9 races will be aired (tape delayed) on the Thursday following each event at 5pm Eastern.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Well Versus is no more. NBC bought them out. It's now called NBC Sports Network. The IndyLights race that will be live is the Freedom 100 on May 25th at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The Iowa race on June 22, and the Edmonton race on July 21 will have same day coverage but I dont believe it will be live, it will be a tape delay.

While the remaining 9 races will be aired (tape delayed) on the Thursday following each event at 5pm Eastern.
Lame. I liked them when they were aired just before the IndyCar race. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I won't get to watch them anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
only 26 cars? and the same 26 from last week? indycar can have 33 cars at every race right? i figured some of the indycar teams would have start and park entries by now.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
only 26 cars? and the same 26 from last week? indycar can have 33 cars at every race right? i figured some of the indycar teams would have start and park entries by now.
Well, Indycar had a rule stating that a maximum of 26 cars were allowed to race on an oval, other than at the 500. They obviously disregarded that rule last year at Las Vegas when they had 34 cars starting there and we dont go into that here.

As for this year with the number of entries, it boils down again to lack of budget and sponsors for teams to field an entry. Also a big factor this year, if not the biggest were the 3 different engine manufacturers this year. Each company only made a certain number of engines and that was it. So it was basically, first come- first serve. Now starting at the Indy 500, there will be more engines available and you might see a few other entries at races after the 500.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Well, Indycar had a rule stating that a maximum of 26 cars were allowed to race on an oval, other than at the 500. They obviously disregarded that rule last year at Las Vegas when they had 34 cars starting there and we dont go into that here.

As for this year with the number of entries, it boils down again to lack of budget and sponsors for teams to field an entry. Also a big factor this year, if not the biggest were the 3 different engine manufacturers this year. Each company only made a certain number of engines and that was it. So it was basically, first come- first serve. Now starting at the Indy 500, there will be more engines available and you might see a few other entries at races after the 500.
last year 30 cars ran the twin texas races, they must have changed the rule before texas. and the new engine manufactorers causing low entries makes sense. in nascar, at least three new cup series teams (go green racing, hamilton-means racing, and turn one racing) had to deley their debut's because they were only so many fuel-injection ready engines to go around. usually new teams can buy engines the big teams used the year before, that wasn't the case this year.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Barber Motorsports Park is probably one of if not the prettiest courses there is. I just wish the racing matched the scenery. Unfortunately for Indycar, the race can become a parade.

Here are some pics of Barber...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts