Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday, several Indycar drivers were testing the new car the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I only live about an hour away, I wish I would of went but I didnt, I saved my vacation.

I know it is just initial testing on the new car but I was not impressed with the speeds at all, in fact disappointed. They have a lot of work to do before May...
Below are the fastest times of the drivers that were there. Both practice sessions included.

Rank / Car# & Driver / Lap Time / Speed / # of Laps

1. #26 Marco Andretti / 00:41.1664 / 218.625 / 51
2. #11 Tony Kanaan / 00:41.2014 / 218.439 / 68
3. #9 Scott Dixon / 00:41.2666 / 218.094 / 56
4. #3 Helio Castroneves / 00:41.4857 / 216.942 / 56
5. #4 JR Hildebrand / 00:41.5434 / 216.641 / 45
6. #18 Justin Wilson / 00:42.1046 / 213.753 / 64
7. #14 Mike Conway / 00:42.2997 / 212.767 / 65
8. #15 Takuma Sato / 00:42.3384 / 212.573 / 57
9. #20 Ed Carpenter / 00:43.3697 / 207.518 / 33

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
The speed may not have been there yet, but I must say the speedway cars look amazing. I know im in the vast minority, but I love the DW12.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
They sound great, I live about a mile from the track and can hear them perfectly. The speeds wont be up that high anymore.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
I wish wed go back up to the 237 range again, guess I wont see that again.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
They may sound good but so far the new oval car is subpar.
And why does it matter? The 500 is the only oval that will be left in a couple of years anyway the way they are going. Why put so much effort into something that is, now, such a small part of the series. They are heading down the road to losing even more fans.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And why does it matter? The 500 is the only oval that will be left in a couple of years anyway the way they are going. Why put so much effort into something that is, now, such a small part of the series. They are heading down the road to losing even more fans.
It matters big time! I hate the lack of ovals, I agree but they will remain on the schedule. I agree they are heading in the wrong direction on venues They will not rid of them completely. Thats what seperates this series from open wheels- the diversity.

They need to worry about the speeds. If they want to keep the fans with this new car, they need to get the car up to snuff. Fans want to see the speeds, at least equivalent to what they were the last few years. If they dont, they will risk losing even more fans.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
It matters big time! I hate the lack of ovals, I agree but they will remain on the schedule. I agree they are heading in the wrong direction on venues They will not rid of them completely. Thats what seperates this series from open wheels- the diversity.

They need to worry about the speeds. If they want to keep the fans with this new car, they need to get the car up to snuff. Fans want to see the speeds, at least equivalent to what they were the last few years. If they dont, they will risk losing even more fans.
Mine are just words from a, becoming bitter, old fan who hates what this series is becoming. NHRA and NASCAR pssed me off to no end with some of their decisions and I was hoping INDYCAR would never do that to me...alas, I was wrong.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are just words from a, becoming bitter, old fan who hates what this series is becoming. NHRA and NASCAR pssed me off to no end with some of their decisions and I was hoping INDYCAR would never do that to me...alas, I was wrong.
I agree to what Indycar has done recently. I dont like the dropping of oval tracks, the continuous adding of street courses, and all the overseas races. I believe the series needs to focus on American races and oval tracks.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I agree to what Indycar has done recently. I dont like the dropping of oval tracks, the continuous adding of street courses, and all the overseas races. I believe the series needs to focus on American races and oval tracks.
I didn't like when Mario was talking about CART going "global" in the mid 90's and going heads up with F-1, I really didn't like the talk of CART becoming a "feeder series" to F-1 in 2002 and thought maybe TG really had the right idea. Now we're right back where we started before the split waiting for a miracle to happen. I really don't think Ruebens is the answer and if he is, I don't even want to know the question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts