Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a newbie and just wanted to get a handle on a collectible I have sitting around.

My wife worked for a division of Goodie's products years ago and one year they passed out some stuff to all the employees. One of the freebies was an uncut sheet of cards for the 1992 Goodies invitational Nacar race - First card is Davey Allison - Am I correct that 92 was the year he was killed? Last card on the top right is Richard Petty and among other legends the sheet features Dale Earnhardt and a very young Jeff Gordon. We've kept the sheet safe all these years and it's in very nearly mint condition - Could any of you knowledgeable folks give me an idea of what this sheet might be worth?

I'm going to try and post a couple of photos of the sheet below - If it doesn't work I'll post a link to my photosharing site where you can view them.

I appreciate any info you could give me on this thing!

Bob M.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Those look like they may be the Traks cards or maybe Maxx cards. As for what they are worth. I can Guarantee they are worth at minimal $20. I would offer that for them right now! Nice looking sheet! Got some of the Old stars of Nascar on there! I'm not a person that should be answering this but my answer is correct. They are worth what the highest amount a person would pay and I can say they are at least worth $20-25!!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
AHHHH, I'm correct in saying they are Traks!! I didn't have the bottom picture show up until after my first posting! I'm going to research these a little more. Anyway, it is a nice set!!

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Davey Allison died in 93, 92 he had a run at the Championship but got wrecked at Atlanta. Nice looking set too!

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
I've read about that set but never seen it before. I'm broke or else I'd offer you double what Larkin is!

Interesting that it featured mostly Busch series drivers...Richard Petty is the only one that's not a Busch series photo (Petty never ran Busch races in 1992) but he had, and IIRC still has a personal service contract with Goody's.

If you look real close you can see that even the Cup drivers who were Cup drivers at the time are in their Busch gear, Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt both ran identical cars to their Cup cars, and Davey in 1992 ran Mac Tools over the rear tires instead of Texaco, Harry Gant ran a #7 Buick with a paint scheme very close to his #33 Olds Cup car for Ed Whitaker (Although that photo seems to be a Cup victory lane photo). Dale Jarrett is in his Nestle Crunch uniform. Morgan Shephard ran an unsponsored white Ford out of his own shops that looked just like the Citgo Cup car but without the Citgo markings.

Even if you are not looking to move the set, it's an awesome piece and I thank you for sharing the photos!

The photos all seem to be from 1991 by the way.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Nice item. You don't see very many uncut sheet s from any sport these days. It seems to be in good condition as well. I would look into having it matted and framed and just keep it. Another 10 years and that thing will be worth quite a bit more than it is now. I'd say it would bring $20-$50 in the right place now.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
It's not a Days of Thunder car, it's his Busch car, which was #15. It was sponsored by AC Delco. I have a photo of the full car here but havn't scanned it yet. Considering Kenny was driving for Hendrick in Cup, who prepared the DoT cars, I would not be surprised if the numbers were reused from it though as a cost cutting measure. :)

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
DodgerBlue said:
Nice item. You don't see very many uncut sheet s from any sport these days. It seems to be in good condition as well. I would look into having it matted and framed and just keep it. Another 10 years and that thing will be worth quite a bit more than it is now. I'd say it would bring $20-$50 in the right place now.
Hmmm, $20-$50 Between Billy and I just the two of us are offering that for it now! I'm betting that it could bring twice that! If I wasn't in the situation I'm in right Now. I would counter offer Billy's top offer. That is a nice set and I would have to have it Matted and framed with it being veiwable from both sides! There is a framing shop here that has done some pieces like similar to that and they really are cool!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses! As I said I'm woefully ignorant of collectible card prices - Dottie isn't really looking to off-load the set at the present time. The double sided matting and framing seems like a neat idea tho...

One little side story about a collectible I DO know about is this: When I was 14 (About a hundred years ago, it seems) I wanted to learn to play the guitar. Mom told me one of my aunts had an old acoustic that belonged to Uncle Ernie and maybe I could borrow it to learn on. I called Aunt Sandra and she told me I was welcome to it but I better hurry cause she had just put it out to the curb for the trash - she'd just cleaned her house out-so I hustled down there and retrieved the guitar which I've had all these years.

As it turns out it was a CF Martin built in 1931 - a sort of special model named the "OM" _ Orchestra Model - one of 250 made over the course of 3 years. It's in nearly new condition cause Uncle Ernie never played it much. When I had it appraised at a large guitar shop in Nashville the guy doing the appraisal said it could fetch between 50 thousand to one hundred and 50 thousand dollars, depending on how badly a Martin freak wanted this rather rare piece.

I guess this is just about the ultimate in "Dumb Luck"

Thanks again, and if we ever want to sell the sheet we'll give you all first crack at it!

Bob

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
"Hmmm, $20-$50 Between Billy and I just the two of us are offering that for it now! I'm betting that it could bring twice that!"

Sounds like a good old fashioned bidding war may be brewing on this one.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
$25 would be the most I could afford at the time but Billy saying he would double my offer would put the bid at $50. So I would say it is a least worh that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts